Local High School Star

Default Electric car batteries may eventually be able to power people's homes

"Ford’s new all-electric F-150 Lightning can also serve as a generator, using the truck’s battery to power your house for up to three days, the company says. When the F-150 Lightning rolls out to customers next year, it will be the first vehicle widely available in the US that can directly integrate with your home’s electrical system, according to the company. Ford is working with solar storage company Sunrun to install the necessary charging and inverter hardware for customers who
    want it."

Per https://www.morningbrew.com/emerging...y-that-matters

Have to assume many other types of electric cars will be able to do this in the future too.

NBA All-star

Default Re: Electric car batteries may eventually be able to power people's homes

next up, magnetic spot holders that can help users to fly i.e. iron man style

Banned

Default Re: Electric car batteries may eventually be able to power people's homes

You are better off with a solar panel system over your house.

Also, Sun run is a ripoff company. You are better off with LG/Panasonic/tesla/Canadian solar panels. Not surprised Ford found one of the most expensive company to enter into partnership with. I expect sun run to become even more expensive. Tesla is obviously best positioned for this concept, but again, I don't see this as alternative to a residential solar system.

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat View Post
    next up, magnetic spot holders that can help users to fly i.e. iron man style
    We already got magnets in our arms because of the covid jab. Pretty soon, us vaxxers will be the jetsons while the anti-vaxxers will be the flintstones. I wonder what lifestyle would be preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99 View Post
    We already got magnets in our arms because of the covid jab. Pretty soon, us vaxxers will be the jetsons while the anti-vaxxers will be the flintstones. I wonder what lifestyle would be preferable.
    Do you consider Islam to be more Jetsons or Flintstones?

Good college starter ELITEpower23's Avatar

What if I told you solar panels existed? /Morpheous meme

As long as they're reliable and can withstand some harsh conditions, they will become desirable to many. Will also be useful if the welfarefan's neighbor has one so he can borrow the truck and use it to power up his prehistoric television inside his 6x6 shoebox apartment. Which will allow it to brighten his dark rooms while heating them like a furnace temporarily whenever his electricity is cut because of negative balance in his bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    As long as they're reliable and can withstand some harsh conditions, they will become desirable to many. Will also be useful if the welfarefan's neighbor has one so he can borrow the truck and use it to power up his prehistoric television inside his 6x6 shoebox apartment. Which will allow it to brighten his dark rooms while heating them like a furnace temporarily whenever his electricity is cut because of negative balance in his bills.
    Then just buy a gas-powered power generator or one of those solar batteries to go with a residential solar system.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Then just buy a gas-powered power generator or one of those solar batteries to go with a residential solar system.
    But the welfarefan doesn't have funds to buy one because his monthly welfare checks would immediately be used mostly to pay the debts he owe to his rowdy neighbors. Or else, they'd cause a ruckus nearby his motel 6.

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    You are better off with a solar panel system over your house.

Also, Sun run is a ripoff company. You are better off with LG/Panasonic/tesla/Canadian solar panels. Not surprised Ford found one of the most expensive company to enter into partnership with. I expect sun run to become even more expensive. Tesla is obviously best positioned for this concept, but again, I don't see this as alternative to a residential solar system.
    I don't think you understand what this is. It is not an alternative to solar. A solar battery is a premium upgrade carrying a cost > $8000.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
    I don't think you understand what this is. It is not an alternative to solar. A solar battery is a premium upgrade carrying a cost > $8000.
    Yes, I understand the car would act as a battery backup/source. If you are concerned about battery premium cost, it's not like this car-as-source concept would work without getting inverters/charging hardware setup anyways in your home. You will already have to pay a premium to a very expensive company like Sunrun for that special installation.

If you already have a residential solar system or decide to get one then you don't even need car-as-source altogether. A solar battery is eligible for federal tax credit of 26% (quite a few states tack on state tax/monetary benefit too) so you can offset a big chunk of that cost already with a permanent battery linked directly to the solar system.

Plus, if you are just wanting to prepare for emergencies, why not just have a gas-powered backup generator, which can be acquired for much much cheaper and can power everything for extended periods of time? No need to modify anything in your home or pay a premium to anyone. Just keep a few gallons of fuel in the garage or shack. Now you have fuel for your home, car (if electric then you can use the gas-powered generator to charge your car directly) and can get more gas for as long as necessary using an alternative solution. For emergencies, you don't want to rely entirely on 1 single source when you can have a secondary source too of gasoline.
    Last edited by bladefd; 11-21-2021 at 03:20 PM.