Default NBA league wide 3 point shooting percentage at a 20+ year low?

That's got to be the basketball change, right? The rule changes aren't doing this.

The NBA had its' highest 3 point shooting percentage league wide EVER last year. And now they're putting up a season in bottom half of total seasons? And the worst since like 1999?

There's no way that today's players are worse shooters from 3 than even 20 years ago. And you can't tell me the entire league suddenly got that much worse over the course of one offseason.

Why the **** wouldn't the league just stick with Spalding? Because of some difference in millions when they're making billions? Give me a break. It's clearly the best basketball. Why would they skimp on the ****ing ball? We've seen this shit before with the league trying to skimp on the ball. The level of greed is unreal. And the stupidity by Spalding is also on another level. Why not settle for less? The fact that both sides couldn't work it out and neither would cave enough to get a deal done is astounding to me.

Anyways...
    Last edited by Shogon; 11-11-2021 at 09:19 AM.

National High School Star Akeem34TheDream's Avatar

Default Re: NBA league wide 3 point shooting percentage at a 20+ year low?

If the plan was to make shooting harder therefore making the game more physical and possession based, well done NBA.

NBA All-star

or it seems as a typical withdraw reaction from whatever toxins they been dealing with. the scorings are still high, so there's probably a good amount of individuals that aren't the cause of it

Put the number of attempts per game up.

That impacts %

I made this same point in a previous thread. Apparently this is the first time the NBA started the season with balls that weren't broken in. They are made witht he same leather as the Spalding balls so i would expect the shooting to improve in the 2nd half of the season.

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

I don't care what ball I use, my 3 point shot isn't affected by the ball whether it's partially deflated, or well used vs new... you get used to any ball because the dimensions are the same. The rim (such as being double or single) if anything affects a shot more than the ball strictly based off bounce-in ratio but that also doesn't really apply in the NBA where all the rims are already single and sprung as soft as possible.

I think it's the physicality. Pushing and touching and other things that affect the shooters balance affects in-game shooting performance. Always has always will. Shooting requires balance. Harder to hit shots off balance. Easier to knock someone off balance with a ref that swallows the whistle more often.

NBA used Wilson back in the 60s and 70s I think.

Lebron has never missed as much time early in a season as he has this year, and with him being out the league-average efficiency has dropped dramatically. It’s as simple as that.

Go look at his 3 pt% from the start of the year before the injuries. He was SCORCHING.

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous View Post
    I think it's the physicality. Pushing and touching and other things that affect the shooters balance affects in-game shooting performance. Always has always will. Shooting requires balance. Harder to hit shots off balance. Easier to knock someone off balance with a ref that swallows the whistle more often.
    Problem is that shooting on wide open 3s is way down.

On three point shots, it's down from 35.5% a couple seasons ago to 34.4% now. This means on average players miss 1 extra shot for every 100 taken. Doesn't seem so bad.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Problem is that shooting on wide open 3s is way down.
    No it's not bro where are u getting this from? Here's nba.com stats on wide open shots https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/shot...%20Wide%20Open

Some teams are shooting more and some are shooting less. Looking at the better playoff teams the Bucs, sixers, warriors, nuggets, grizzlies, celtics, lakers, blazers, mavs and clippers are all shooting more open threes.

This is also the case for the players in question this year compared to last on wide open 3's

Trae - .3 less this year
    Steph- .9 more this year
    Bron- .7 more this year
    Mitchell- 1.4 less
    Booker- .5 more
    Beal- same
    Dame- .5 less
    Harden .2 more
    Last edited by Bronbron23; 11-11-2021 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    No it's not bro where are u getting this from? Here's nba.com stats on wide open shots https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/shot...%20Wide%20Open

Some teams are shooting more and some are shooting less. Looking at the better playoff teams the Bucs, sixers, warriors, nuggets, grizzlies, celtics, lakers, blazers, mavs and clippers are all shooting more open threes.

This is also the case for the players in question this year compared to last on wide open 3's

As usual your just talking shit. Wide open threes clearly aren't way down. In alot of cases they're actually up.

Trae - .3 less this year
    Steph- .9 more this year
    Bron- .7 more this year
    Mitchell- 1.4 less
    Booker- .5 more
    Beal- same
    Dame- .5 less
    Harden .2 more

As usual you don't even understand english. OP is talking about shooting PERCENTAGES, not attempts.

RIF
    Last edited by tontoz; 11-11-2021 at 03:38 PM.

Could be a combination of the ball and players playing a packed schedule similar to a lockout season over what, the last year and a half? Rule changes on 3pt shooting fouls could also be a factor, making defenders more confident in trying to stay close in some of the situations happening behind the 3pt line.