Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020-21 regular season

One source with knowledge of the situation maintained Mitchell had no involvement in Wade purchasing a stake in the team. In any case, it’s a move many league observers have viewed as a direct attempt by Smith to appease Mitchell, who first formed a strong connection with Wade through their representation at Creative Artists Agency. “It’s a little bit of new-owner syndrome, too,” said an assistant general manager. “You come in, and you’re immediately told, ‘The star player, you want them to like you.'”

– via Jake Fischer @ Bleacher Report

There’s a player option in the fifth year of Mitchell’s $163 million contract, which still wouldn’t let the All-Star reach free agency until 2025 at the earliest. And despite the superstar trade request seemingly more en vogue than ever, the Jazz appear to be doing just fine building around Mitchell in Utah. Around the NBA, he’s known as a team-oriented and affable leader, believing this group can compete for a championship. Utah did finish top-five in both offensive and defensive efficiency last season.

and Paschall and his posse over team doctors. Not going to end well just like Hayward. He's not even one of your top two players!

There does not appear to be any connection between Mitchell’s interests and the ouster of former president Dennis Lindsey. That decision stemmed largely, sources confirmed to B/R, from a rift between the executive and Snyder in which Smith sided with his head coach. Jazz staffers point specifically to Lindsey selecting Udoka Azubuike in the first round of the 2020 draft, as well as other draft additions that failed to make an NBA impact as a main stimulant in the turmoil between the president and Snyder.

I wasn't happy with everything the Wizard did but there were guys that could have helped them and COTY refused to play them. The owner sticking with the guy that lost the last two playoff series is not a good sign

As other teams like the Nets spent training camp in destinations like San Diego, Mitchell was vocal about the Jazz conducting training camp out of market, sources said, which led to Utah holding workouts in Las Vegas. The Jazz bunkered down in the Wynn hotel, creating an environment Snyder’s coaching staff valued, similar to the Orlando bubble experience.

what do the best players on the team think? Who cares I guess?

When he signed, Gobert sent him a text, welcoming him to the franchise, and sending the message of how important the season would be for the Jazz as a whole. He had a long discussion with Utah head coach Quin Snyder. And he spoke with the front office. “He’s been great for us so far,” Gobert said. “He’s really providing a presence. He’s been effective on both ends.”
    – via Tony Jones @ The Athletic

“I want to be with the winners,” Whiteside said. “I have to prove that. I think I can contribute to a winning situation, but it’s up to me to show that. I led the league in multiple categories, but now I have to show that I can make an impact on winning and I want to be on that caliber of team. That’s why I signed with the Jazz.
    – via Tony Jones @ The Athletic

https://thejnotes.com/2021/10/26/uta...d-predictions/

Rudy Gobert ranks within the NBA’s top 5 in rebounds per game on a virtually annual basis, but he’s never led the league in the category. Look for that to change in 2021-22.
    no more Drummond helps

Look for that to change as the season progresses. Mike Conley is the only point guard on the Utah Jazz averaging 10 or more minutes per game this season, and like any team in the NBA, the Jazz will need a backup point guard. Jordan Clarkson has been slotting in as the team’s de facto floor general for stretches, and while that’s fine, his score-first mentality is probably better suited alongside a pure point guard in the long term.
    Clarkson is no floor general. Ingles is a pg

Rookies need to be afforded the breathing room to adjust to the big league, and Butler has been granted exactly that through two games in 2021-22. Eventually, look for Snyder to make use of his immense talents, and grant him a modest place in the regular rotation.
    they don't really. Gleague is there for a reason. Only reason I've promoted the kid is cuz Clarkson sucks!

That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t, or won’t, give it a chance. The Jazz had tremendous success running a wing player at the 4 spot last season between Bojan Bogdanovic and Royce O’Neale. It seems unlikely that they brought both Rudy Gay and Eric Paschall into the fold this offseason to add bulk at that position.
    Paschall is here because he's bff. Gay is here to replace Niang. Wouldn't count on anything changing. They had plenty of size a year ago

Plus, it is worth monitoring whether the team’s offense progresses to the levels it reached last season. As it stands, Snyder is playing a traditional big man at the 5 spot for 48 minutes a contest between Rudy Gobert and Hassan Whiteside. It seems overwhelmingly likely that this offense would benefit from an injection of floor-spacing at that position.
    rim runners help space the floor. Clarkson and Paschall don't

We’ve written extensively about the Utah Jazz improving their defensive versatility with the addition of the two small-ball 5s. It may end up being the case that their biggest benefit to the Utah Jazz actually comes on the offensive end.
    offense isn't the problem outside Clarkson and Mitchell gunning

https://www.ksl.com/article/50270398...a-jokic-injury

"I saw the ball sticking, we passed up shots and, I know we didn't shoot well, but when we don't take our shots and we don't move the ball, things get stagnant," the Jazz coach said. "That affects us on the other end. If we think about our defense, odds are, the ball's going to move and we are going to be more efficient on offense."
    than pull Clarkson and Mitchell

https://www.ksl.com/article/50270024...ll-and-the-nba

That helps shed some light on Mitchell's odd percentages in the early part of the season. With the obvious disclaimer that it's only been two games, Mitchell is actually shooting better from outside the arc (37.5%) than inside of it (33.3%).
    never been much of a finisher. Only recently started getting to the line more once he learned how to throw his body in to the opponent and that is on the perimeter not at the rim

https://kslsports.com/470982/goberts...-over-nuggets/

Though he’s struggled to shoot the ball early in the year, the guard is still leading the team in scoring. Mitchell is averaging 21.7 points per game to go along with a team-high +11.3 plus-minus to open the season.
    a guy that dominates the ball leads them!

Just three games into the season, Bogdanovic has once again shown a willingness to accept a smaller role when needed, and it helped the Jazz stay undefeated on the season.
    hopefully he feels that way when he becomes 6th man!

https://www.deseret.com/2021/10/27/2...gh-three-games

It does sound really simple, but for a newcomer to Snyder’s system it can be easy to just fall into isolation offense, something that Paschall has avoided to this point.
    newcomers aren't the problem. Best player in franchise history and 6th man of the year are

https://www.deseret.com/2021/10/26/2...denver-nuggets

Aaron Gordon was really giving it to the Jazz, and Quin Snyder was more than willing to try different guys to defend him. He sent out Bojan Bogdanovic and that didn’t work. He tried out Royce O’Neale and that didn’t seem to be any better. There was a short stint that he used Eric Paschall for a little bit on Gordon and that actually seemed nice, but it didn’t really line up with Snyder’s preferred sub pattern. Then, when Nikola Jokic went out of the game it was Rudy Gobert and Hassan Whiteside’s turn. I don’t really care right now — third game of the season — if they didn’t find the perfect answer. What I like was that Snyder was willing to try out different stuff and wasn’t waiting that long to do it.
    maybe they told him his job is on the line?

As per usual, Gobert and Donovan Mitchell are very impressive, as is Jordan Clarkson, who somehow never seems phased by anything.
    not sure what is impressive about gunning while your open teammates watch but I guess that is just me

You could probably look at Jared Butler’s minutes and think that it’s a low note. The Jazz lost part of their lead and he didn’t do anything to great and picked up a couple of fouls. But the good thing is that the Jazz had enough of a lead to comfortably play Butler and give a rest to Mike Conley for a few minutes. That, in the long run, is an absolute net positive and Butler is going to find his footing.
    but Forrest should be ahead of him and probably Oni too

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/10/27/2...ell-slow-start

Gobert is having a historic start, Mitchell not so much
    maybe by February the best player in franchise history will get it going!

Such a start maybe shouldn’t be much of a surprise. Beginning with a standout performance at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics this summer and then a statistically dominant preseason, the signs were there.
    he's been doing it for almost 7 years.m What else would we expect. They suck without him carrying them. Pretty simple really

Mitchell’s slow start shouldn’t be too alarming though. Looking back on his career, Mitchell seems to have made a habit of starting off a season with really poor shooting. The 2019-20 season is the only time Mitchell posted better shooting in his first three games than he did over the course of the full year. In every other year, he’s posted sub-40 percent shooting and often sub-30 shooting from three.
    he fact that he's made 2 all star games despite not showing up until December or January is a joke

Expecting Mitchell to bounce back does bring with it the obvious possibility that Gobert will also be subject to the law of averages. Over the last several seasons, Gobert has settled around averaging roughly 15 points and 13 rebounds. If the Jazz are going to take the next step (getting beyond the second round in the playoffs), the improvement in scoring at least is something Gobert will have to keep up.
    offense isn't their problem

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/10/26/2...denver-nuggets

It was a win for the Jazz tonight but there were a lot of things to be concerned about. One of the major things was the play of Aaron Gordon. For most of this game, Aaron Gordon attacked Bojan Bogdanovic relentlessly. Gordon went 9/13 from the field and Bogdanovic could do nothing to stop him. With Jokic on the perimeter, it kept Rudy Gobert out of the paint and he couldn’t help Bogdanovic. In a Jazz 12-point win Bogdanovic was a -4. That’s an issue.
    Bojan's d being an issue is news?

The solution might be his backup. Eric Paschall was a +16 for the game. He brings a toughness on defense that the Jazz sorely need on the perimeter. Paschal took, and missed, 1 shot tonight but you could argue he was a much more impactful player because of his overall game. This doesn’t mean that Bogdanovic won’t improve and provide the play the Jazz need but tonight Bogdanovic was 1/5 from 3 and 5/14 from the field. If his shot isn’t falling, and his defense was as poor as it was tonight, the Jazz have to look for other options.
    but they won't

To advance further in the playoffs, they need more individual accountability on defense. No more asking Rudy to cover a third of the court. Maybe when Rudy Gay is healthy they can limit time that Bogie and Don are playing together. Maybe trade Bogie, if the right deal is available. I dunno. But seems like unless Don can make a leap in his perimeter d this team will always have a playoff ceiling.
    Clarkson needs to go. Bojan to 6th man. Get a starting 4

As an aside, I haven't really been shy about my dislike for Whiteside. I thought he was really bad last night on defense and totally checked out of some plays. I was pretty annoyed at him when he was chirping and shoving and got thrown out, and my GF who was sitting on the couch next to me watching her phone way more than the game, called me out that if it was Ingles or Gobert that was chirping and talking shit I would be cheering it on and loving it. She is right. Being a human and having blindspots suck.
    he doesn't look like he plays hard to me. Lots of talent but doesn't work

I haven't seen a timeframe for Gay returning so it could be a while. And coming back from an extended injury, it may take even longer for Gay to become a valuable contributor. And while I still think he's a great addition, he may not be a huge improvement over Paschall and Whiteside–the real benefit from Gay is probably his different skillset, giving Snyder another option to play with depending on lineups. Whiteside probably won't get any minutes if an opponent plays small ball with the backups.
    COTY won't go small

Bogie gets a bad rap. He's under valued. I don't think fans appreciate what he brings to the table. He makes us a lot better. His defense isn't always a liability like that. Someone scoring 20 points on us isn't the end of the world it happens every night. Barnes scored 24. It's not a death sentence. Out defense has been very good overall. Perfection is hard to attain. That's why we brought in Paschall and Gay. To have that versatility on defense. To match with these over powering wings.
    Paschall was brought in because bff. Gay to replace Niang

Donovan Mitchell has attempted, and missed, four shots from beyond 30 feet in the first three games of this season. All four off the dribble.
    BEST PLAYER IN TEAM HISTORY!!!

He makes big shots, especially in the playoffs.
    they lost twice in two years

Mitchell with his slow walking, head down, superstar shots is believing all of the wrong hype. He plays out of the offense more than anyone except JC and JC is not supposed to play within our standard offensive set. Mitchell is screwing with the team dynamic. All he has to do is take his good shots, be amazing like he is, and play within the offense, and we would be far, far, better off. But that isn't going to happen unless we have a coach that will actually coach him which isn't going to happen because we have years of examples of zero restrictions on anything Donovan does.
    COTY!

That seems like a terrible trade. Your trading a guy that averages close to 20 per game for someone that averages less than 10 and shoots 35% from 3? If you are going to trade Bogey, you might as well ask for someone good.
    a starting PF for a guy that doesn't defend? or do much besides shoot?

Again, nice article by James.

IMO, Bogdanovic is easily the most redundant player on the Jazz roster based on his play in 2021.

He would certainly be my first option if a mid-season trade were to happen.

To this day, I just don't get how anyone would propose to trade Clarkson over him.

Clarkson brings a valuable element to the team even if flamethrower mode is off.

I really hope Paschall keeps showing signs that he can play competent perimeter defence. I honestly think he could prove to be more valuable than Bogie in the playoffs.
    Clarkson sucks

https://thejnotes.com/2021/10/27/2-u...oldfish-vibes/

Meanwhile, backcourt teammate Jordan Clarkson has seen his scoring dip a smidge from 18.4 points per game a season ago to 17.3 right now. One explanation is that the “Flame Thrower” is only throwing actual flames on a career-low 25.9 percent of his 3-point tries.
    God he sucks

With all the heaves — even the loudest clanks — comes greater spacing for themselves and the other freewheeling yet remarkably synchronized Jazz players.
    Who cares if there is spacing if they won't pass the ball?

https://thejnotes.com/2021/10/27/uta...rrence-ross/2/

Ross is a born scorer, as the 19.2 points per game he scored per 36 minutes last season will attest to. He could also be a compliment to Quin Snyder’s bevy of ball-dominant guards, as 87.3% of his career three-pointers made have been assisted on. While his career 36.7% accuracy from three-point range isn’t elite, it is solid, and it doesn’t account for the difficulty of his shots. Ross is the type of three-point shooter who is utterly indifferent to defensive coverage: he launches, and there are decent odds it’s going in no matter who was checking it.
    upgrade on Clarkson anyway. Not a 4

While both of the Jazz’s prospects are point guards, and Ross is a shooting guard whose secondary position is small forward, it may not matter given how much of an upgrade the veteran could be over the two young Jazzmen. Furthermore, while not necessarily a stout defender (more on that later), at 6’6, Ross does bring some size to a Utah Jazz backcourt that features Mike Conley (6’1) Donovan Mitchell (6’1) and Jordan Clarkson (a thin 6’4) on a regular basis.
    O'Neale would bring size and they'd have a PF.

Another attractive reason for the Jazz to trade for Ross is the likely insignificance of the package they’d have to part with in the process. The Magic have no incentive to hang on to the 30-year-old veteran. The Jazz could offer one of Udoka Azubuike, Miye Oni or Trent Forrest and a second-round pick, and the Magic would probably bite.
    no. Hughes, Clarkson and Whiteside are the guys I'd be looking to move for a starting 4/back-up 5

https://thejnotes.com/2021/10/27/uta...win-nuggets/2/

Mitchell finished the game 9/20 from the field. In other words, all of his misses from three-point range but three were on three-point attempts. It has become quite clear that we are watching an NBA superstar in the prime of his career suffer a severe shooting slump.
    just his usual bad start.

In the meantime, the Jazz are 3-0. Whenever you can start the season undefeated with your best offensive player in the midst of a shooting slump, you’ve got reason to be encouraged. Once Mitchell regains his three-point shooting form, the Utah Jazz will become all-the-more difficult to beat.
    if only he was

Utah Jazz vs Denver Nuggets Takeaway #1: Rudy Gobert might have a career-year
    his yearly career year

https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/five-t...in-over-denver

"I think we started to move the ball more," Rudy Gobert said of what changed in the fourth quarter, where Utah outscored Denver 31-20. "It's kind of the cycle when we play well defensively, our offense gets better. … I don't know, I like when that happens, and that's when we play our best basketball."
    not a coincidence that they played so well last year when Mitchell was out