Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad

Default How underrated is Magic Johnson?

Feel like he gets somewhat forgotten with all the Jordan Kobe Lebron talk. The dude freakin went back to back won the NCAA championship one year and the NBA championship next year as a rookie winning game 6 finals clincher with jabbar out with 42 points, 15 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 steals. Also was finals MVP that year all as a 20 year old, that’s some story book movie type shit there. Another thing is that he only really played in 12 meaningful seasons, 5 time champion and 9 times in the finals, he spent his whole career in the finals pretty much. Of course there’s the Kareem and Worthy talk but Kareem somewhat was only a shell of his old self in the mid late 80’s. Magic was the best player on all those Lakers championship teams and the fact that he had to retire at the age of 32 I’d say he should be top 3.
    Last edited by Jay-B; 08-21-2021 at 12:57 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: How underrated is Magic Johnson?

He's in the top 5-7...he's not overrated. If anything he might be overrated by nostalgia. If you are going on this board full of cat litter eating retards of course you think hes underrated as they just obsess about Jordan, kobe, and lebron. If anything I think he's overrated as he's mostly put over Bird who to me was a clearly superior player.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 08-21-2021 at 01:13 AM.

Learning to shoot layups

Well I wouldnt say he is underrated, he gets a lot of his flowers around the league and alot of coverage. I didnt grow up watching Magic and he is already idolized over all Media platforms. I would take LBJ over him anyday though :)

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117 View Post
    He's in the top 5-7...he's not overrated. If anything he might be overrated by nostalgia. If you are going on this board full of cat litter eating retards of course you think hes underrated as they just obsess about Jordan, kobe, and lebron. If anything I think he's overrated as he's mostly put over Bird who to me was a clearly superior player.
    Magic was quite a bit better than Bird in the playoffs.

Saw a basketball once

....what is this thread? Is this irony or some sort of inside joke...? Anyone want to explain?

Learning to shoot layups

Underrated by some and then overrated by some, depending on your ranking of course Magic sits comfortably anywhere between 3 and 8. I find it hard to keep him out of the top 10 and also find myself wanting to push him into the top 5 but it's a tough decision.

SO underrated bro

The Most Hated Man Mask the Embiid's Avatar

If there was an all time starting 5 for basketball ever….he would be starting on the team at point guard and run the offense for the most part for the majority of the game…..How can anyone ever call him underrated? He is a living legend. I can’t think of many things I’d rather be called than a living legend. That is the ultimate compliment

He was the best player in the league at one point with a prime mj and prime bird in the same league….he is nowhere close to underrated to ppl who know their history

He retired almost 30 years ago and still no one has passed him at his position even with the game evolving….no one else can say that at any other position
    Last edited by Mask the Embiid; 08-21-2021 at 01:23 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mask the Embiid View Post
    If there was an all time starting 5 for basketball ever….he would be starting on the team at point guard and run the offense for the most part for the majority of the game
    I disagree, peak Magic is probably the greatest PG ever, but putting him in an all-time lineup with guys like MJ & LeBron who demand the ball alot would take alot of Magic's value away, he needs to run the offense at all times in order to maximize his ability. It's one of the reasons why you see natural point guards in the Olympics kind of become after thoughts on the team. I'd much rather have someone like a peak Curry playing with those guys.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Magic is underrated because of his intangible effect. His ability to make others better was unrivaled. Even after Kareem retired he still led contending teams. And Kareem was a loser in LA before Magic. I do think (know) he sold his soul to the Hollywood crowd while introvert Kareem would never do that. That's why he caught the bug ~ homosexual blackmail and persuasion. And then look what they did to his son.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Magic was quite a bit better than Bird in the playoffs.
    Played in the weaker Western Conference of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephonit View Post
    Played in the weaker Western Conference of that time.
    He beat Bird head to head.

Good college starter

He beat Bird head to head.
    After Bird had to go through a gauntlet while Magic strolled through the playoffs to get to the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephonit View Post
    After Bird had to go through a gauntlet while Magic strolled through the playoffs to get to the finals.
    Someone’s mad Magic is the consensus GOAT PG

Good college starter

Someone’s mad Magic is the consensus GOAT PG
    People who cite consensus aren't thinking for themselves.