Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A glimpse of David Robinson playing like a modern bigman...

Default Re: A glimpse of David Robinson playing like a modern bigman...

I think the lowest hanging fruit comparison( as in who immediately comes to mind) is he'd be a more fundamentally sound Giannis.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I think the lowest hanging fruit comparison( as in who immediately comes to mind) is he'd be a more fundamentally sound Giannis.
    Cosign. He -- David -- would be better in today's league: less post-up, more face-up, dribble penetration, open court.

College superstar

If only david robinson had played earlier and for longer in the nba

Would have been fun to see those 90s guys play out of position and play a different style.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43 View Post

great find

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival View Post
    great find

Problem was he didn't do that very often. That is a routine drive for Giannis. You probably had to search a long time to find that clip.

DRob liked those midrange jumpers a lot and didn't play with his back to the basket much.

Fastest 7 footer I ever saw end to end though. In a full court sprint I am sure he was faster than Giannis. Just not as crafty taking it to the basket.

In that clip ( against Deke) he is only beating one defender who wasn't noted for his perimeter defense lol.

High School Starter

Robinson in today's NBA, would destroy these slow centers 7 ft 1 with Giannis quickness with better handles and a jumper, Barbecue Chicken, with sides.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Problem was he didn't do that very often. That is a routine drive for Giannis. You probably had to search a long time to find that clip.

DRob liked those midrange jumpers a lot and didn't play with his back to the basket much.

Fastest 7 footer I ever saw end to end though. In a full court sprint I am sure he was faster than Giannis. Just not as crafty taking it to the basket.

In that clip ( against Deke) he is only beating one defender who wasn't noted for his perimeter defense lol.

Show me where Giannis shot fakes like that out of the triple-threat before beginning his move like DR does in the clip

I'll wait..

High School Starter

Because Giannis doesn't have a jumper so he has to attack the basket David had everything handles a Jay and post up, plus slashing to the rim, Giannis just has your bullying basketball move then little hook or get fouled.

Actually posted it the day it was uploaded. The only thing I wanted is to show a unique play.

Im not saying that Drob could have easily played that way full time.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by lakerstekkenn View Post
    Because Giannis doesn't have a jumper so he has to attack the basket David had everything handles a Jay and post up, plus slashing to the rim, Giannis just has your bullying basketball move then little hook or get fouled.

Exactly..

And regarding today's perimeter player in general - they don't drive if players are in the lane.. If someone is posting up - that's a bad driving opportunity in today's game, so the pure scoring ability, contested shot-making ability, go-to moves, and scoring instinct is far inferior in today's players.. It shows when they go overseas and our all-nba players lose to regular role players.
    Last edited by 3ba11; 08-01-2021 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerstekkenn View Post

The key difference between the two isn't the jumper, although that is a big difference. The big difference is that Giannis is relentless attacking the rim in a way that DRob wasn't. That is why Giannis is a more efficient scorer in spite of being a worse shooter.

No DRob didn't have much of a post up game. I would say Giannis this year was better in the post than DRob ever was. He wasn't a back to the basket player.

It takes a lot of defensive effort to keep Giannis away from the basket. Frequently with DRob that wasn't the case.