Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2021 Off-Season. Another short one

https://kslsports.com/463967/utah-ja...-round-up-3-0/

Regardless, Todd has an impressive frame, standing a full 6’10 with a 7’1 wingspan which should be able to carry more weight than his current 220 lbs. Mixed with a 35-inch vertical leap, the prep star has better physical tools than most players projected at the end of the first and into the second round.
    not much of a wingspan unless he's a 3

Thor has an impressive frame standing 6’9, with a 7’3 wingspan, and 9’2 standing reach. He has elite height and length for the modern NBA wing who will be asked to defend multiple positions on the floor.
    sounds more like it

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-draft/20...-30th-illinois

Last offseason the Jazz talked about getting defenders that don’t compromise spacing and then promptly drafted a non-shooting center. That choice turned out to be painful in the playoffs when the Jazz ended up with a lot of shooters and centers and not enough players to defend the perimeter. That’s why when I finally got to make my pick at #30, I was happy to pick Ayo Dosunmu.
    Since center was the obvious position to take. They had plenty of options to defend the perimeter. COTY chose getting Lindsey fired over winning

Dosunmu is 6’4” with a 6’8” wingspan. He’s a long defender that can defend the point of attack and switch. Those physical tools combined with proven defensive ability should make him a player that acclimates quickly in the league.
    average length

This offseason the biggest question for the Jazz is what will happen with Mike Conley. Whatever happens, Dosunmu should fit nicely with whatever the Jazz do. If Conley re-signs with the Jazz, Dosunmu can play minutes as a backup combo guard that will provide length and defense. If Conley leaves, Dosunmu looks like perfect secondary option to play off of Mitchell. As a rookie, Dosunmu likely isn’t going to to play right away, especially for Quin Snyder who hasn’t been willing to give a lot of minutes to any of the Jazz rookies from the last two seasons. Regardless, Dosunmu is 21 with multiple years of college experience. It’s not out of the question to think that he might be able to contribute to the rotation quickly if Conley leaves.
    again what about the past how ever many years under COTY especially the last two makes anyone think they will draft anyone that will play? Did he go to Duke?

There were also a wide range of Centers available, but I wasn’t about to make that pick again.
    the one position not to take. PG seems like the pick to me unless they think Forrest will develop a shot

According to NBA.com combine numbers it measured at 6’10.25" Posted by Matt_Grbac on Jul 22, 2021 | 10:12 AM
    much better

Wow, that's crazy long for a guy who is 6'4".

Posted by Kira Argonova on Jul 22, 2021 | 3:37 PM
    not really. Ricky 7'. Mitchell 6'10

Whoever they draft needs to be able to be the ninth, tenth or eleventh player in the rotation this season. If they can’t play this year, IMHO, the Jazz should package the pick/player with one or more of their other deep bench players for someone who can. Posted by RGeronimoP on Jul 22, 2021 | 12:35 PM
    whoever they pick he should be a Star. Need vets

DL screwed up last year picking Doke

It was quite obvious we may or may not be able to retain Conley after this season. We should have picked someone to groom for a season under Conley.
    Malachi Flynn, Tyrell Terry, Theo Maledon, Nico Mannion among others were still available as point guards.

Posted by Matt_Grbac on Jul 22, 2021 | 1:10 PM
    Gobert and Bradley were FA's. They had 6 rookies who covered everything but a big center. Center was the obvious choice. PG whould have been next. Got Forrest as FA

Passing on the guys you mentioned (except Mannion) plus Jaden McDaniels and Desmond Bane, who could have actually helped this year, made it easy for Brother Smith to "allow" him to move into an advisory role. Posted by RGeronimoP on Jul 22, 2021 | 1:49 PM
    lots of guys could have helped but wouldn't have

1 – Trade the #30 pick and Matt Thomas to the Rockets for Danuel House, Jr.
    2 – Trade Derrick Favors to Chicago for Tomas Satoransky.
    3 – Sign DeMarcus Cousins to a veterans minimum contract or use the Bi-Annual Exception.
    4 – Sign Bobby Portis using the taxpayer Mid-Level Exception.
    5 – Let Conley walk.

They would start Mitchell, O’Neale, Ingles, Bogdanovic and Gobert. Satoransky, Clarkson, House, Portis and Cousins are the next five in the rotation, and you still have, Forrest, Brantley, Oni, Hughes, Morgan and Azubuike to fill out the back end of the roster. If my calculations are correct, the approximate salaries for 15 players would be around $146MM. Not ideal, I know, but closer to realistic than if they have to pay Conley @$20MM.

Just a thought.
    Posted by RGeronimoP on Jul 23, 2021 | 2:58 PM
    why would the Bulls do that? Cousins! Still no starting PF. Cousins sucks and Clarkson remains. Why would Brantley and Morgan want to be on the team where the coach doesn't think they can help?

Donovan Mitchell is our PG of the future.

Every time he is forced to play PG, we start debating if he is a superstar. His numbers explode when he has the ball in his hands.

What we need is a long shooting guard to pair with Mitchell in the backcourt. Or maybe that’s Royce, Bogey/Jingles at Small Forward, and what we really need is a defensive PF who can shoot. With Gobert at Center, that would be a big lineup.

Posted by Kira Argonova on Jul 22, 2021 | 3:45 PM
    might as well make Clarkson the backup pg if we want someone that doesn't pass at the position

JD Shaw: Kyle Castlin will play summer league with the Jazz, sources tell @HoopsRumors. Castlin played 11 games with the team’s G League affiliate in the 2019-20 season.

– via Twitter JShawNBA

don't remember him being anything special but with two teams to fill I guess you can't expect much

https://www.deseret.com/2021/7/23/22...nted-greatness

Technically, yes the Jazz have the biannual exception (BAE) available to be used. But, the Jazz are obviously hoping to re-sign Mike Conley, which would put the Jazz’s total salary above the tax apron for the season. At that point, the Jazz would not have the BAE available. Also, even if the team is not able to re-sign Conley, they wouldn’t want to be hard capped at the apron by using the BAE. So, while they technically could use the BAE, they will not.
    another great reason to try and shed Clarkson and Favors salaries. Those two especially hurt. Hughes guaranteed roster spot as well

Toronto, for example, could offer a package centered on the No. 4 selection and Pascal Siakam, who’s considered available for trade by sources around the league. The Raptors have been categorized as one of the most active teams in predraft trade chatter, exploring all avenues from swapping their pick in a deal for an All-Star such as Beal or Damian Lillard to trading back and recouping more draft capital to embrace a post-Kyle Lowry rebuild.

– via Jake Fischer @ Bleacher Report

Clarkson/Favors/Hughes/picks/cash?

When was the first time you got in contact with the Nigerian basketball federation to wear the D’Tigers’ jersey? Miye Oni: We have been in contact and talks with them since I was like 17-years-old. I have a great relationship with the federation, and I have always expressed my goal of playing for the national team and represent Nigeria at the highest level. I am proud of being a Nigerian basketball player, and it’s a dream come true to be called to represent my country. This is one of the goals I have in my career, and I am happy to be able to do so. I am going to show the staff that I can help. I will do everything to bring Nigeria to the highest level and put it between the powerhouses of basketball.

– via FIBA

Precious Achiuwa, Gabe Vincent, Jordan Nwora, Josh Okogie and many more. The young guns are taking over the D’Tigers! Miye Oni: (Laughs). Every guy is going to be very important for the team, and we will play as one, we will defend as one, no matter what. We have a lot of talent, and it’s just the beginning of something great if you want my opinion. We have talents in every position, guys that played in international competitions before and have been doing very well so I am so excited about what’s coming next. We are building a fantastic team. We are ambitious and we want to write great pages on Nigeria’s basketball history.
    – via FIBA

Miye Oni: The goal is to have a great tournament and the dream is to win a gold medal. Many teams can get to the medals spot, and we want to be part of the discussion too. We are young, but we have a lot of ambition. We are eager to make our compatriots proud and to show the world that Nigeria is a very competitive team. They did well in China at the previous FIBA Basketball World Cup, and we want to keep showing that we are a team that counts on the main stage, and that will count from now on at the highest level.
    – via FIBA

The Utah Jazz are known to be one of the few teams actually searching to move playoff-tested talent. Retaining Mike Conley is an offseason priority, sources said, and the Jazz have held numerous discussions with teams around the league about offloading salary to create room for Conley in free agency.

League personnel most often mention Joe Ingles as the Jazz wing to watch, and Bojan Bogdanovic and Royce O’Neale are also considered available for trade as Utah narrows its focus towards building a contender around Donovan Mitchell. The Jazz are also open to discuss trading their No. 30 pick, sources said.

good luck building a contender around Mitchell and Clarkson

The Jazz have the 30th pick in the NBA draft, but using that pick isn’t their only option (msn.com)

For example, the Jazz could put together the 30th pick and Derrick Favors in exchange for a player that could help the roster, in order to clear a roster spot, or to turn around and trade what they get back for something even better.
    more picks to get rid of their trash!

https://www.deseret.com/2021/7/25/22...ir-only-option

That’s not to say that a player who is ready now can’t be found, but fans should be prepared for the possibility that any draft pick could end up being a project and not an answer to immediate problems.
    but the media keeps pushing that narrative despite the fact under Snyder no one has been ready to help immediately. Some were by the end of the season and others could have and COTY wouldn't play them. Now if they went to Duke OTOH...

The Jazz don’t have many future assets. They owe first- and second-round picks to multiple teams over the next few years and not having assets to either package or use makes things a little difficult.
    and will have to give up even more to dump Favors. Hopefully the new GM stops this nasty trend of signing guys to bad contracts

The Jazz could fill an open roster spot with a player on a veteran minimum deal once free agency opens on Aug. 2, so packaging the 30th pick and trading it away might just be a way to make room for other transactions to be made.
    or they could throw guaranteed contracts to guys like Hughes that have never made any sense

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/7/25/22...-nba-offseason

However, sources suggested that Bojan Bogdanovic and Joe Ingles were also bandied about as available if the Jazz could get a significant upgrade, which would be a major shakeup for the team, especially with Mike Conley headed to unrestricted free agency this summer.
    Clarkson, Favors and Hughes are the first guys I'd look to move. Depending on what the roster looks like after that maybe others. Bojan to Clarkson's role. Ingles into a smaller role.

Two executives flatly countered that this week, however, saying the Jazz had indicated in no uncertain terms that they were planning to “run it back” with the core from this season.
    that sounds more like the Jazz which would be disappointing. The one hope is that the new owner isn't the Miller's

It’s an interesting rumor and quite possible with Justin Zanik now running things now that Dennis Lindsay is taking a consultant role.
    how much has Zanik had to do with the moves since he became GM? Favors, Clarkson and Hughes were awful signings

Chris Haynes: After being pursued by multiple teams, former Phoenix Suns head coach Earl Watson is finalizing a deal to join the Toronto Raptors coaching staff, league sources tell @YahooSports. Devin Booker credited Watson for his accelerated development. pic.twitter.com/I1FQYpBkmr
    – via Twitter ChrisBHaynes

https://kslsports.com/464378/utah-ja...miles-mcbride/

McBride is an undersized 6’1 guard but carries a nearly 6’9 wingspan which allowed him to carve out a niche as a strong defender in two seasons at West Virginia.
    Wizard approved