Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: 2018 Celtics were a weaker team than the 89' Cavs or Knicks (that pre-title mj be

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    It's clear that:

89' Cavs > 18' Celtics

and it was pre-title Jordan that beat those Cavs with no help and a rookie team, while lebron was a veteran champion with a veteran champion team when he beat the rookie Celtics
    its also CLEAR that 18 lebron beat a team with more wins. jordan came up short - more evidence that making the 18 finals isn't clear-cut.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: 2018 Celtics were a weaker team than the 89' Cavs or Knicks (that pre-title mj be

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24 View Post
    its also CLEAR that 18 lebron beat a team with more wins. jordan came up short - and more evidence that making the 18 finals isn't clear-cut.

I didn't just look at wins

I used SRS, net rating and all-stars, where the 88' Pistons destroy the 18' Celtics

But even without knowing the stats, no sane person would compare the 18' Celtics rookies to the dynasty Pistons (even if you don't like the term dynasty).. it's preposterous

2 titles does not make you a dynasty

College superstar

I didn't just look at wins

I used SRS, net rating and all-stars, where the 88' Pistons destroy the 18' Celtics

But even without knowing the stats, no sane person would compare the 18' Celtics rookies to the dynasty Pistons (even if you don't like the term dynasty).. it's preposterous
    the pistons didn't win that year and had NEVER won a championship. far from a "dynasty" bud.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    they won their first title in 1989 - the following year. b-b-but dynasty!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

They were a single game away from a 3peat in a loaded era. They went to game 7 with Showtime the year before they repeated, and even Pat Riley admitted the KAJ phantom foul cost them the '88 title. The Pistons were absolutely considered a dynasty back then. First thing that comes up when you search it.

The 1988-89 and 1989-90 Detroit Pistons teams are considered by most to be some of the greatest in NBA history. The “Bad Boys” were largely responsible for the demise of the great Lakers and Celtics teams of the '80s
    They beat Magic, Bird, and Jordan. That's dynasty. Are you gonna ride with your boy M and say the 2018 Celtics were on par with them? Its amazing were even debating this.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    They were a single game away from a 3peat in a loaded era. They were absolutely considered a dynasty back then. First thing that comes up when you search it.

They beat Magic, Bird, and Jordan. That's dynasty. Are you gonna ride with your boy M and say the 2018 Celtics were on par with them? Its amazing were even debating this.
    this guy is up in arms over a team who lost, and had the same record as the 18 celtics. but is cool with op comparing pippen to jr smith. cant make this up

Local High School Star Ainosterhaspie's Avatar

They were a single game away from a 3peat in a loaded era. They were absolutely considered a dynasty back then. First thing that comes up when you search it.

It's not about the 2018 Cavs being better than the 1988 Pistons. The issue is that 3ball's arguments are based on ridiculous rationales which if applied consistently yield patently absurd results like '18 Celtics = '88 Pistons. No one thinks that, but that's what 3ball's argument produces.

You need a new account bud. That comparison is going to follow you around everywhere because it destroys your credibility. Ive never ever compared JR Smith to Pippen so that's not gonna fly. From what I've seen the OP post, he has only said that JR Smith at his best reached Pippens standard level of play, nothing more nothing less. You guys take that to mean JR Smith = Scottie Pippen because your dumb and couldn't properly comprehend his argument. Then again I'm posting with a guy who thinks the 80s pistons were worse than the 2018 celtics so I really shouldn't be expecting too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainosterhaspie View Post
    It's not about the 2018 Cavs being better than the 1988 Pistons. The issue is that 3ball's arguments are based on ridiculous rationales which if applied consistently yield patently absurd results like '18 Celtics = '88 Pistons. No one thinks that, but that's what 3ball's argument produces.
    He didn't even have to make the argument that way though. Count the all stars on the '89 Cavs, '89 Knicks, and '18 Celtics. The former two teams have all the all star selections. 5 to 0. So they were clearly way better.

College superstar

You need a new account bud. That comparison is going to follow you around everywhere because it destroys your credibility. Ive never ever compared JR Smith to Pippen so that's not gonna fly. From what I've seen the OP post, he has only said that JR Smith at his best reached Pippens standard level of play, nothing more nothing less. You guys take that to mean JR Smith = Scottie Pippen because your dumb and couldn't properly comprehend his argument. Then again I'm posting with a guy who thinks the 80s pistons were worse than the 2018 celtics so I really shouldn't be expecting too much.
    yeah, and the only way that's true is by ignoring defense and playmaking. we know the deal here though pal. you don't question it because it aligns with your agenda lol

i'm simply comparing the records of boston and detroit. you know "nothing more, nothing less"? don't cry the next time i use op's arguments him.

They were a single game away from a 3peat in a loaded era. They went to game 7 with Showtime the year before they repeated, and even Pat Riley admitted the KAJ phantom foul cost them the '88 title. The Pistons were absolutely considered a dynasty back then. First thing that comes up when you search it.

No team in any sport has ever been considered a dynasty with only 2 titles. I agree they had huge calls go against them in '88, but after '90 they got swept by the Bulls and were legitimately never relevant again. And the Bird/Magic/Jordan talking point is so disingenuous. They beat Jordan 3 times as the substantial favorite, and the time they "beat" Magic he missed most of the series

Local High School Star Ainosterhaspie's Avatar

It's clear that:

89' Cavs > 18' Celtics

and it was pre-title Jordan that beat those Cavs with no help and a rookie team, while lebron was a veteran champion with a veteran champion team when he beat the rookie Celtics
    How do you figure he had no help when he had more scoring help and a better defensive roster? The Cavs cast against the Celtics was a worse defensive team and provided worse scoring support. You keep ignoring actual play and are just running with narratives that are clearly erroneous. It doesn't matter that the 88 or 89 Bulls were young, and the 18 Cavs were veterans. The Bulls support inarguably performed better than the Cavs support.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ainosterhaspie View Post
    How do you figure he had no help when he had more scoring help and a better defensive roster? The Cavs cast against the Celtics was a worse defensive team and provided worse scoring support. You keep ignoring actual play and are just running with narratives that are clearly erroneous. It doesn't matter that the 88 or 89 Bulls were young, and the 18 Cavs were veterans. The Bulls support inarguably performed better than the Cavs support.

18' Lebron easily makes the 05' Playoffs because he's about three times better than young lebron

Jordan was the same way - he improved throughout his bulls career - champion Jordan from 1991 probably beats the Pistons in 89' and 90' despite no help

NBA Superstar

You really think that’s all that was said?

He made that statement as a part of an argument. And you know exactly what that argument was.

Put two and two together.

College superstar

No team in any sport has ever been considered a dynasty with only 2 titles. I agree they had huge calls go against them in '88, but after '90 they got swept by the Bulls and were legitimately never relevant again. And the Bird/Magic/Jordan talking point is so disingenuous. They beat Jordan 3 times as the substantial favorite, and the time they "beat" Magic he missed most of the series
    you're giving credence to their titles. and while i agree, 2 titles don't make a dynasty, neither does losing. up until 89, the pistons had never won a championship. so claiming jordan "lost to a dynasty" in 88 is gaslighting. no one at the time thought of them that way. how could they? detroit didn't win anything until the FOLLOWING year.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    You really think that’s all that was said?

He made that statement as a part of an argument. And you know exactly what that argument was.

Put two and two together.
    plays the woe is me act. we all see through that facade lol