Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good college starter Walk on Water's Avatar

Default We criticize players for stacking the deck. But would you do the same?

I think part of the reasons teams stack the deck now is because they see other teams that have done it and they realize that championships are never easy. So they'll look for any advantage they can get.

When the Celtics stacked up with Pierce, Allen, Paul, and Rondo- later they also added Wallace, Shaq, and other veterans who were big names but toward the end of the career. It was never enough, so they had to keep building.

Lebron didn't like what he saw, so he joined Wade and Bosh. Later, even Allen joined them, and that caused a commotion.

But Lebron saw that having a big 3 still wasn't a guarantee after San Antonio pulled a number on them.

So he had to form another big 3, one that was younger. He teamed up with Irving and 26 and 11 Kevin Love.

But then the Warriors who were underdogs blossomed and beat Lebron. Klay and Green were not even considered stars yet. Once the Cavs got their whole team back, it became more competitive. Warriors were the better team, but the Cavs were able to come back from a 3 to 1 lead. So then the Warriors who were homegrown felt they needed Kevin Durant. And KD felt like he needed them too. He couldn't hold his 3 to 1 lead.

So once, the Warriors became strong, Lebron moved to LA. A year later he got AD.

Then KD joined Brooklyn and Irving. And they got Harden and now Griffin and Aldridge. Then Lakers go out and get Andre Drummond.

And here we are. Teams have been trying to stack the deck for a long time. If you were a star, would you do the same?

Default Re: We criticize players for stacking the deck. But would you do the same?

I would if I were KD in 2016, since Lebron already paved the way for collusion and theres nothing left for him to fear. In fact, Lebron making superteam Heat was the reason why Durant's Thunder failed to win in 2012 and lost Harden. In a way, Lebron already ruined Durant's Thunder, so whats wrong with Durant returning the favor back to Lebron's Cavs?

But if I were Lebron I wouldnt go to Miami in 2010, since no one has done it before and I wouldnt want to be the first one to ruin modern NBA. The Cavs traded Mo Williams for Clippers pick which ended up being #1 in 2011 and they drafted Irving, had Lebron stayed in Cleveland he'd been able to team up with Irving since 2011 anyway.

Default Re: We criticize players for stacking the deck. But would you do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets View Post
    I would if I were KD in 2016,
    KD left a Thunder team that choked away a 3-1 lead on the 73 win Warriors after taking down Kawhi's 65 win Spurs. That was already a legitimate championship contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk View Post
    KD left a Thunder team that choked away a 3-1 lead on the 73 win Warriors after taking down Kawhi's 65 win Spurs. That was already a legitimate championship contender.
    They were not a contender at all since trading away Harden. Westbrook was a cancer and always will be, KD saw that the ceiling of that team was WCF. The Thunder had their chances but the championship window closed after 2012. Also lets not forget that unlike the Cavs FO which tried to improve the team every year during Lebron's time spent with them(yeah they aint very competent but at least they tried), the Thunder FO always made the rosters worse year after year.

NBA Superstar

I would if I were KD in 2016, since Lebron already paved the way for collusion and theres nothing left for him to fear. In fact, Lebron making superteam Heat was the reason why Durant's Thunder failed to win in 2012 and lost Harden. In a way, Lebron already ruined Durant's Thunder, so whats wrong with Durant returning the favor back to Lebron's Cavs?

But if I were Lebron I wouldnt go to Miami in 2010, since no one has done it before and I wouldnt want to be the first one to ruin modern NBA. The Cavs traded Mo Williams for Clippers pick which ended up being #1 in 2011 and they drafted Irving, had Lebron stayed in Cleveland he'd been able to team up with Irving since 2011 anyway.
    Wait...you actually think this would have happened if Lebron had stayed?

They were tanking because Lebron left and felt they needed the #1 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Wait...you actually think this would have happened if Lebron had stayed?

They were tanking because Lebron left and felt they needed the #1 pick.
    They no need to tank, the Cavs own pick was only #4 which turned into Tristan Thompson. The #1 pick for Irving came from Clippers so the Cavs absolutely could've gotten it even if Lebron stayed.

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

I've been playing rec ball for like 10 years now. We used to suck for the first idk how many years because most of our core group didn't know how to play very well. We eventually figured out if we brought in 2 or 3 outside players that were "good" we'd go from absolutely trash to make playoffs and whatnot.

I felt no pride whatsoever about this model, even then.

Few years ago I started practicing to actually just get myself better and it's taken years of slow grind it out progress but it is absolutely the most self-gratifying way to turn around your team success. Every good season we ever had from recruiting help I couldn't care less about as I know deep down it wasn't because of me or anyone from our core group of friends. Now that the team puts the ball in my hands for the W's or L's? Every game means so much more. You can win by recruiting but tireless hardwork with what you've got just feels a lot better IMO. So no, I don't like stacking the deck and I don't care to do it.

And playing on playgrounds I HATE the kids that show up and want to do that. Not a competitive trait, it actually shows how much competitiveness they lack IMO.
    Last edited by hiphopanonymous; 03-30-2021 at 02:12 PM.

NBA Superstar

They no need to tank, the Cavs own pick was only #4 which turned into Tristan Thompson. The #1 pick for Irving came from Clippers so the Cavs absolutely could've gotten it even if Lebron stayed.
    They would have had to trade Williams still and convince Lebron to wait it out with two rookies, neither of which were guarantees. Not happening. Why do you think he left in the first place? He wanted a championship immediately.

You would be forced to if you want to remain competitive.

Garnett's frustration in Minnesota set off a cascade of events that led to where we are today.

Even the independent minded Kobe Bryant tried to stack the deck in that period with Dwight and Nash because the landscape included the Thunder, the Heat, the Celtics, the Spurs, even the Clippers - multiple teams with a lot of firepower.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous View Post
    I've been playing rec ball for like 10 years now. We used to suck for the first idk how many years because most of our core group didn't know how to play very well. We eventually figured out if we brought in 2 or 3 outside players that were "good" we'd go from absolutely trash to make playoffs and whatnot.

Few years ago I started practicing to actually just get myself better and it's taken years of slow grind it out progress but it is absolutely the most self-gratifying way to turn around your team success. Every good season we ever had from recruiting help I couldn't care less about as I know deep down it wasn't because of me or anyone from our core group of friends. Now that the team puts the ball in my hands for the W's or L's? Every game means so much more. You can win by recruiting but tireless hardwork with what you've got just feels a lot better IMO. So no, I don't like stacking the deck and I don't care to do it.

And playing on playgrounds I HATE the kids that show up and want to do that. Not a competitive trait, it actually shows how much competitiveness they lack IMO.
    It's just the way basketball goes nowadays. It doesn't necessarily mean that the guys are less competitive, it's just that more emphasis is placed on winning that it ever was.

You have scores of guys in the 80s and 90s who were great and never sniffed a ring. If it was acceptable to move themselves into a better position I'm sure they'd do it.

It doesn't speak to someone's competitive nature if they're willing to just stick it out on a bad team and never win anything IMO.

Plus, being on a contender and on the big stage gets you paid more than grinding it out on the Hornets. There's more factors at play now with all the money involved that your rec league analogy can't match up to.

College superstar

Lol people justifying stacking the deck. Now look at the nets and where it is leading to.

Would I like to play with other superstars? In an allstar game, yes. In the olympics, phenomenal. In a league, to compete? No. If I am a superstar athlete and I choose to compete against non athletes, where the f is the fun and pride in that? None. But this is a different generation now where they just want to treat real NBA like NBA2K.

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    You would be forced to if you want to remain competitive.

Garnett's frustration in Minnesota set off a cascade of events that led to where we are today.

Even the independent minded Kobe Bryant tried to stack the deck in that period with Dwight and Nash because the landscape included the Thunder, the Heat, the Celtics, the Spurs, even the Clippers - multiple teams with a lot of firepower.
    I guarantee you Kobe or Garnett especially would have preferred their teammates that they already had simply had their work ethic.

I usually hit open layups

You ain’t stacking you ain’t macking. Truth

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous View Post

Lol at comparing pick up ball to NBA ball.

It's like comparing apples to basketballs.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Airupthere View Post
    Lol people justifying stacking the deck. Now look at the nets and where it is leading to.

Would I like to play with other superstars? In an allstar game, yes. In the olympics, phenomenal. In a league, to compete? No. If I am a superstar athlete and I choose to compete against non athletes, where the f is the fun and pride in that? None. But this is a different generation now where they just want to treat real NBA like NBA2K.

Lol at people hating on players who want to win and aren't afraid of sharing the spotlight with other great players. The Nets are in a great position, unlike teams like the Thunder and Magic who are tanking, which is not competitive at all.

Your analogy makes no sense. Star NBA players aren't competing against non-athletes. They are competing against other players in the NBA.