Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: 97-98 Jordan vs. 19-20 Lebron Comparison: Age 35

Quote Originally Posted by 999Guy View Post
    For a guy convinced Jordan was clearly better you are so obsessed with comparing these players

You do realize I already know your opinion on these seasons without you saying it?
    Yeah we realize MJ was better, but the delusional lebronstans dont. So its necessary to educate them with facts.

Harder to get efficient numbers then when defenses might've been at their apex.

Mike was the better scorer and probably the more consistent defender. AD took the load off of Lebron on both ends, but Lebron still balled out and played like the best player alive. Tough call. Can't go wrong with either of them, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Airupthere View Post
    Watch the games. He did not bron ball. They played the triangle continuously.
    Not even in Kobe's worst years did he average just 3.5 assists per game, besides his rookie / 2nd year and Kobe played in the triangle. 3.5 assists per game is ball hog chucking basketball = Carmelo Anthony ball. Melo averaged 3.5 assists per game in his best years.

So Jordan in 1998 played like a worst version than Kobe while LeBron is distributing 10 assists per game like Magic and scoring 30 ppg.

No comparison.

Someone asked for a 97-98 Jordan video. Here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy

Mike was the better scorer and probably the more consistent defender. AD took the load off of Lebron on both ends, but Lebron still balled out and played like the best player alive. Tough call. Can't go wrong with either of them, really.
    Finally a voice of reason.

I would take MJ but in this debate I can see definitely a case for the other side. That's why I made the thread.

I don't think people realize the NBA at this time was shooting 4% worse and had 10 fewer possessions per game. Teams in 97-98 were averaging 95.6 points per game while team in 19-20 were averaging 111.8 points per game.
    Last edited by dankok8; 03-18-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets View Post
    Yeah we realize MJ was better, but the delusional lebronstans dont. So its necessary to educate them with facts.
    Lmao both stans from both fanbases are horrible and can be hardheaded scumbags at any time, any day.

Huge difference between the two players though:

LeBron runs both the Lakers offense and defense. Pippen ran the Bulls offense and defense (prepared and initiated the triangle and quarterbacked the defense).

Jordan had less responsibility than LeBron, in other words.

LeBron runs his team, quarterbacks their defense, calls all of their plays, then on top of that he often leads his team in every category like scoring, assists and rebounds.

That puts LeBron on an entirely different level than Jordan at any age.

I'm sure Lebron would salivate at the chance for his toughest Finals opposition to be Jeff Hornacek and Byron Russell, 35yo Karl/John

Unfortunately he'll probably be dealt Kevin Durant, James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Blake, DeAndre, Harris.

The GOAT standard

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy View Post

Not only that. LeBron is playing in a league that best fit his playstyle I would say. Better spacing, less physicality, and small ball. Just less rim protection, you can't bump him as much, and free lane to the rim. There is no big man camping in the paint. And they could foul you a bit harder too.

Credit to him for doing it better than his peers, but MJ didn't have those rules set and defense was super high and pace is really low during the late 90s to mid 00s.

There are advantages and disadvantages for both eras. But I think it's obvious that offense efficiency is definitely with the 19-20 era. It's design that way. Again, not to really discredit LeBron, but it's just the era comparison. This is where stats don't really tell the full story. And LeBron had AD lol

As you said, it's hard to go against either of him. Don't know how MJ would play in 20 era, and vice versa. But I think I would pick Lebron personally at this stage.

NBA lottery pick

Rule Changes just like in the NFL they made it easier for the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8
    Finally a voice of reason.

I would take MJ but in this debate I can see definitely a case for the other side. That's why I made the thread.

I don't think people realize the NBA at this time was shooting 4% worse and had 10 fewer possessions per game. Teams in 97-98 were averaging 95.6 points per game while team in 19-20 were averaging 111.8 points per game.
    Yeah, from 98-2004 teams were lucky to crack 95 a game. It wasn't until about 2006 or 2007 when the league average went up. And has gone up ever since. Another reason why its difficult to compare stats across eras, especially raw numbers.

98 MJ in today's game is arguably the best scorer, and undoubtedly the most reliant one in the playoffs. If you paired him with AD its hard to imagine LA not ringing. More than that its hard to argue Mike wouldn't be more efficient playing next to someone like AD. Whose offensive gravity was stronger than any version of Pippen.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Not only that. LeBron is playing in a league that best fit his playstyle I would say. Better spacing, less physicality, and small ball. Just less rim protection, you can't bump him as much, and free lane to the rim. There is no big man camping in the paint. And they could foul you a bit harder too.
    Credit to him for doing it better than his peers, but MJ didn't have those rules set and defense was super high and pace is really low during the late 90s to mid 00s.

There are advantages and disadvantages for both eras. But I think it's obvious that offense efficiency is definitely with the 19-20 era. It's design that way. Again, not to really discredit LeBron, but it's just the era comparison. This is where stats don't really tell the full story. And LeBron had AD lol

As you said, it's hard to go against either of him. Don't know how MJ would play in 20 era, and vice versa. But I think I would pick Lebron personally at this stage.
    Good points.

Its why I told dankok that numbers across eras are messy. Throw 20 Bron into a time capsule and have him play in 98. His shooting percentages would drop instantly. Legit bigs and handchecking. Less possessions and a slug pace like you mentioned. He would still be one of the best players, if no the best one, but it would look uglier. And ultimately his game would be less effective.

I'm not convinced Bron has "GOAT longevity" playing in the 90s, but that's another debate Can only go by whose in front of you, and Bron got the job done. All you can do is tip your cap Mike's scoring in todays game would be like watching a more fluid and explosive Kawhi. Truth be told Kawhi moves like Wizard's Jordan.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy View Post
    I'm sure Lebron would salivate at the chance for his toughest Finals opposition to be Jeff Hornacek and Byron Russell, 35yo Karl/John

Unfortunately he'll probably be dealt Kevin Durant, James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Blake, DeAndre, Harris.

The GOAT standard
    Couldn't even win gold with Tim Duncan, Dwyane Wade, Iverson, Melo on the squad and lost to Carlos Arroyo.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Airupthere View Post
    Watch the games. He did not bron ball. They played the triangle continuously.
    Cope.

MJ just wasn't a great passer. The triangle hid his deficiencies in that department.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Micku View Post

The 90s physicality was overrated. It really wasn't more physical than any other era.

Also, Jordan's overall competition in the Finals was not as difficult as the competition that LeBron has had to face.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy View Post
    Yeah, from 98-2004 teams were lucky to crack 95 a game. It wasn't until about 2006 or 2007 when the league average went up. And has gone up ever since. Another reason why its difficult to compare stats across eras, especially raw numbers.

98 MJ in today's game is arguably the best scorer, and undoubtedly the most reliant one in the playoffs. If you paired him with AD its hard to imagine LA not ringing. More than that its hard to argue Mike wouldn't be more efficient playing next to someone like AD. Whose offensive gravity was stronger than any version of Pippen.

Good points.

Its why I told dankok that numbers across eras are messy. Throw 20 Bron into a time capsule and have him play in 98. His shooting percentages would drop instantly. Legit bigs and handchecking. Less possessions and a slug pace like you mentioned. He would still be one of the best players, if no the best one, but it would look uglier. And ultimately his game would be less effective.

I'm not convinced Bron has "GOAT longevity" playing in the 90s, but that's another debate Can only go by whose in front of you, and Bron got the job done. All you can do is tip your cap Mike's scoring in todays game would be like watching a more fluid and explosive Kawhi. Truth be told Kawhi moves like Wizard's Jordan.
    Handchecking would only help a physical beast like LeBron (also, hand checking has always existed; don't act like it has disappeared).

LeBron would dominate in any era. Don't get it twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woke View Post
    Handchecking would only help a physical beast like LeBron (also, hand checking has always existed; don't act like it has disappeared).

LeBron would dominate in any era. Don't get it twisted.
    Shut up, fakkot