Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    College star

Default Re: NBA Officials concerned about too much 3-point shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woke View Post
    Imagine thinking that running up and down the court trading midrange shots is great basketball.

The 90s NBA was unwatchable.
    Nonsense. The game wasn't running up and down trading midrange shots. That was the era of the big man, slashing, midrange, pick n roll, etc. Teams would sometimes score with all 5 players touching the basketball with minimal bounces. There was real team play involved and much more defense...ya know, similar to basketball from 2000-2014.

Why don't complain about the NBA in 2000, or 2002, or 2010? Why do you pick the 90s when the game in the 2000s was almost the same?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoatest View Post
    Do either of you seriously think that the 2014-15 Utlanta Jawkzz have an actual chance of winning the championship this season?
    not as currently constructed no

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    Nonsense. The game wasn't running up and down trading midrange shots. That was the era of the big man, slashing, midrange, pick n roll, etc. Teams would sometimes score with all 5 players touching the basketball with minimal bounces. There was real team play involved and much more defense...ya know, similar to basketball from 2000-2014.

Why don't complain about the NBA in 2000, or 2002, or 2010? Why do you pick the 90s when the game in the 2000s was almost the same?
    The modern NBA is more diverse than the NBA of previous eras.

In the modern NBA there are three point marksmen, talented big men, slashing dynamos, midrange ballers, pick and roll savants, etc.

There is real team play involved and the defense is also more sophisticated.

80s, 90s, and early 2000s ball doesn't stack up at all.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Watching players chuck midrange shots and back down other players in the post for 10-15 seconds is boring as hell.

90s ball was an eyesore.
    You say that, but weren't the 90s the best at getting the TV ratings? At least in the finals. Those numbers, domestically are still unsurpassed. Competing with the superbowl numbers?

You could argue a few things tho, but there counter arguments as well.

1. There are different ways to watch the nba now. So ratings on tv numbers don't matter as much.

While this is true, especially nowadays. It doesn't explain how the Superbowl ratings are superior to what they were in the 90s when you could do the exact same thing.

2. MJ star power

You would have a point to say MJ draw the numbers. Many star players do as you see in the ratings. Magic did it before him. Bird probably did it before him too. But Hakeem vs Ewing or Shaq still draw numbers domestically more than half of the final ratings in the 10s.

I don't think 90s b-ball is unwatchable or anything. I think it's a mixture of things. Star power, rules, and play style. The game gott'a evolved to reach that sweet spot. I personally don't want to have a mid 00s play again. But I don't want the game to be a constant shoot out. I don't think it's correct to say that the 90s ball was unwatchable since it was the best the NBA has ever done domestically. It probably the peak in popularity domestically for the NBA, so how can it be unwatchable?

Subjectively, imo it wasn't the best b-ball to watch in the late 90s. But I think the league would want to reach to the peak and become even better than they are now. I'm sure we'll get there one day. But we are run by stars too. So you could argue that the styles don't really matter, but it's the stars. And the nba is probably more popular globally than it has ever been. I dunno about domestically. It seems like the peak was in the 90s.

NBA rookie of the year

Notice some people said NBA was fine until 2014.

They just told on themselves.

They believe League went bad when Steph and Klay won a championship.

The dirty secret no one wants you to know about is shooting is genetic. Lighter skin blacks and non-blacks are better at it because they have lighter bone structure. Lighter bone structure also gives you other skills like using off hand to dribble, finish, or pass, soft hands to catch ball, turning around with both shoulders, footwork.

Its why Jokic and Anthony Davis are most skilled bigs currently in NBA.

It's why Doncic, Curry, Kyrie are most skilled guards currently in NBA.

All of them have lighter bone structure due to being non-black or mixed with non-blacks.

This holds true for NBA history too. Most skilled bigs and guards are Yao Ming, Sabonis, Vlade Divac, Tim Duncan, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (remember Curry comparisons, he's light skin just like Curry).

Local High School Star

In the modern NBA there are three point marksmen, talented big men, slashing dynamos, midrange ballers, pick and roll savants, etc.

Vince Carter played in 3 different decades and says the exact opposite.

3-time NBA All-Star

90s ball was fine. It gets a bad rep mainly because of 1998 and 1999. 1999 was a lockout season where teams only played 50 games. Otherwise, the 90s were akin to the 2000s and the game as far as 2014.

The people who now complain about the 90s didn't talk shit in 2010 or 2011. The NBA in 2010 or 2011 was more similar to the 90s than it is to today's game.
    Yeah it was cool but they definitely didn't shoot enough threes. There is some validity to the more threes philosophy. The new rules combined with the high pace 3ball chuck fest has created a imperfect storm.

Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    "For a growing number of NBA executives and coaches, the problem isn't that NBA offenses are wrong for firing up an average of 35 attempts per game from long distance. The problem is that they're right."

I don't see a problem.

So the old guys don't like the way the new game flows. They'll get used to it.
    Maybe there's a bit more to it, maybe part of declining ratings is that people don't find the game as enjoyable to watch as they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el View Post
    1. Call offensive fouls when the shooter jumps into the defender
    2. Fouls on a 3-point shot should still only give you 2 free throws
    3. Stop calling tiny incidental contact as fouls.
    This

College star

This makes no sense. The NBA in the 1995, or 2005, or 2010, had the same.

Talented big men? What were KG, Duncan, Shaq, Wallace, Webber, Dirk, Mcdyess, etc? Or Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Moses, Kareem, Daughtery, Zo?

Three point marksmen? So Reggie, Steve Kerr, Hodges, or Ray Allen don't count? I agree that Steph beats them all, but he's just one guy. The idea that there were no marksmen is just false. It's just that volume is up with relaxed perimeter rules.

Slashing dynamos? You mean like Nique, Isiah, MJ, Iverson, Wade, Kobe, or TMac?

Midrange ballers? Umm, name a better midrange player than MJ. And what were guys like Clyde or Kobe? TMac had no midrange game or wasn't a "midrange baller"? How about Iverson?

Pick and roll savants? Who mastered it better than Stockton and Malone?

So the 80s, 90s, 00s, and presumably right up to 2014 as I mentioned was inferior?

Great....now show me your top 10 list of All-Time.

If it includes anyone from the first 60 years of basketball, then you just lied to yourself.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by insight View Post
    Vince Carter played in 3 different decades and says the exact opposite.
    His opinion is not the end all be all.

Decent college freshman

This makes no sense. The NBA in the 1995, or 2005, or 2010, had the same.

Talented big men? What were KG, Duncan, Shaq, Wallace, Webber, Dirk, Mcdyess, etc? Or Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Moses, Kareem, Daughtery, Zo?

Three point marksmen? So Reggie, Steve Kerr, Hodges, or Ray Allen don't count? I agree that Steph beats them all, but he's just one guy. The idea that there were no marksmen is just false. It's just that volume is up with relaxed perimeter rules.

Slashing dynamos? You mean like Nique, Isiah, MJ, Iverson, Wade, Kobe, or TMac?

Midrange ballers? Umm, name a better midrange player than MJ. And what were guys like Clyde or Kobe? TMac had no midrange game or wasn't a "midrange baller"? How about Iverson?

Pick and roll savants? Who mastered it better than Stockton and Malone?

So the 80s, 90s, 00s, and presumably right up to 2014 as I mentioned was inferior?

Great....now show me your top 10 list of All-Time.

If it includes anyone from the first 60 years of basketball, then you just lied to yourself.
    The modern era has the best collection of talent in NBA history.

Take off the nostalgia goggles.

College star

The modern era has the best collection of talent in NBA history.

Take off the nostalgia goggles.
    Give me your top 10 of all time.

Well the refs absolutely still gamble on the games they’re calling. It’s not even a question. Calling bullshit fouls is a lot less conspicuous when guys are driving to the hoop instead of bucking 40-50 3’s a game.

I usually hit open layups

Ignore the old heads. Game is fine. Crazy offensive skills on display every night. We’ve got a true team game with 5 offensive threats in the court and everyone with a green light. I know there are some bad games but overall, the quality is high.