Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Brand new footage of 1965 ECF game 1

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    You're saying the best teams of 1965 were more skilled than kids off the street? And that these players had part time jobs to supplement their basketball careers?

Hmm

Definitely food for thought. Im not sure that doesn't make me even more appalled though

Thr best 1965 had to offer was part time diesel mechanics, and grocery baggers. That's sickening

The 80 or 90s wasn't much better though. From here on I refuse to rank any player pre 2000 in my top 10
    Im saying what I wrote. Do you know how to read?

Nobody cares about your top 10. Who cares?

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP View Post
    Im saying what I wrote. Do you know how to read?

Nobody cares about your top 10. Who cares?
    My bad, I thought you were being sarcastic. I thought we were role playing being retarded and oblivious, but apparently not. That's my bad

My top 10 is very important on here because my track record is the best of all time. I'm the most credible poster to ever grace the forum

My bad, I thought you were being sarcastic. I thought we were role playing being retarded and oblivious, but apparently not. That's my bad

My top 10 is very important on here because my track record is the best of all time. I'm the most credible poster to ever grace the forum
    whatever. care about my top 10? no? good. i dont give a shit about anyones top 10 unless youre someone i respect which there are not many.

Decent playground baller

No question the C's were the better team until 1966, then Wilt had the best team in the NBA from 67 through 73 (Bucks '71 was at peak performance, the only team reasonably better in that timeframe)

the 68/69 C's were barely running on gas fumes and old men who never should have taken those titles

Wilt didn't seem to be motivated at times, cost his teams more than a few titles from 68-73

great player, one of the finest physical specimens in human history, but hey... you know... oh well... lost again...

Decent playground baller

You're saying the best teams of 1965 were more skilled than kids off the street? And that these players had part time jobs to supplement their basketball careers?

Hmm

Definitely food for thought. Im not sure that doesn't make me even more appalled though

Thr best 1965 had to offer was part time diesel mechanics, and grocery baggers. That's sickening

The 80 or 90s wasn't much better though. From here on I refuse to rank any player pre 2000 in my top 10

you are building and then murdering straw men from games 55 years ago?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP View Post
    Footage was shot at 24 and sped up to fit 30 fps in the conversion probably, nevertheless. these guys are not as unskilled as casuals may think. They played plenty of school ball and then made it to pro ball. I'm seeing decent skills here.
    exactly - IMO the movement of players is very good , and during the late 70's early 90's teams started playing ISO and the game started
    slowing down... the NBA took note of it , and started minimizing defensive options to get the game flowing again.

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    Unfortunately there is only 14 minutes of footage and not the entire game.

It isn't clear who the best player is.

I'm going to have to disagree with you about Wilt's rebounding.

Wilt can be seen making several mistakes just in this brief footage package. His jumps are ill timed (early) so he loses out on rebounds to Russell, who times his jumps better. We can see Wilt missing out 4 rebounds just in the first half of this clip because even though he is right on the scene, his timing and positioning is worse than his opponents.

We start to get the impression that Wilt grabbed 31 rebounds because he’s taller, stronger and more athletic than everyone else but if he had Russell’s patience and nose he would’ve had 51.

On one play Wilt gets the ball in the post and willingly makes himself tiny by bending over at the waist and dribbling very low to the ground - essentially making himself as short as Muggsy Bogues with Russell towering over him.

No. That is not ideal.
    He misses that shot, of course.

To me Wilt comes off as a kind of untethered and erratic physical specimen while Russell is more steady and under control.

It’s worth pointing out that while Wilt led the game in scoring, the smaller Bill Russell led the game in rebounds (32) and in assists (6).

6 assists is a lot in a game where both teams are shooting so poorly. The Sixers assist leader only had 3.
    Where did you learn to play basketball?

Getting low in the post IS THE FUNDAMENTALLY CORRECT WAY to post up. Always has been. It's comments like this that to me, immediately expose who here is an actual basketball person and who's just an armchair expert.

https://youtu.be/UGnV7UMQHMc?t=55

"In the post, the lowest guy is going to win almost every single time"
    Huh, might be why Wilt could drop 61 on Russell and own almost every scoring record in history now couldn't it? You literally called textbook posting up a mistake.

Also every rebounding highlight that goes in the hands of the guy who got it makes it looks like they timed their jump correctly. Every rebounding clip of a guy not getting a rebound shows that they didn't time it correctly... that's simply called a highlight for whoever got it - it doesn't reveal anything about the guy who didn't.. Want to know who rebounded better all game long? Look at the stat sheet.
    Last edited by hiphopanonymous; 03-15-2021 at 04:18 PM.