Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 2021 NFL Free Agency

On March 17, clubs are allowed to contact and begin contract negotiations with the agents of players who are set to become unrestricted free agents.

There should be a $hit ton of cap casualties too...

The Kansas City Chiefs said goodbye to starting LT Eric Fisher and starting RT Mitchell Schwartz this morning, releasing both players from their contracts with the team.

The move was a cost-cutting measure, bringing forth the harsh reality of the business side of the NFL. While many will be quick to blame the lessened salary cap for the release of Fisher and Schwartz, it’s important to remember that both players were coming off injuries and on the final year of their contracts. It made sense for the Chiefs to move on both financially and weighing the likelihood of future return on investment.

The Chiefs had nearly a seventh of their 2021 cap space tied up in those two players. If Fisher and Schwartz weren’t ready to play in Week 1 of 2021 because of their injuries, the sunk cost would be too much for the team to overcome. Veach made the smart move and decided to recoup what cap space he could, starting fresh at the position.

Releasing both players combines for just under $7 million in dead cap space for the Chiefs. The salary cap savings from both players amount to a total of $18.3 million. Obviously, you’d like two moves like this to get you under the projected 2021 salary cap, but this move didn’t get them there. Instead, it got them quite a bit closer.
    https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021...hell-schwartz/

Default Re: 2021 NFL Free Agency

The New Orleans Saints are expected to release veteran defensive tackle Malcom Brown, according to a report from Josina Anderson.

The Saints were reportedly open to trading Brown, but it appears that they couldn't make things work with a trade partner.

Parting ways with Brown would save New Orleans approximately $5 million against the salary cap. That would put the Saints, as of Friday morning, around $11 million over their adjusted salary cap of $185.5 million.

Brown is in the final year of his $15 million contract and is a cap hit of $6,443,750 in 2021, with $1.5 million of that as dead cap.
    https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/a...39ae494c3.html

Malcom Brown is a 320 lb DT.

So many cuts. Market is going to get tons of players thrown on all at once. Colts must be so happy to see that along with $48mill spending money + cap going up next year so added flexibility.

I would like to see us upgrade our edge, cornerback, and receiver in free-agency. Receiver I don't see many options unfortunately... Golladay is awesome but can't stay healthy, don't want him. Will Fuller, injury-prone. I like Curtis Samuel even though I don't consider him a #1 WR - better than nothing. I hope we get him. I like TY Hilton but he is not the same anymore as couple years ago - time to let him go. I would like to add Jonnu Smith too at TE. Samuel/Jonnu could be solid.

Edge and corner, we have so many options! I don't want to even go through them because there are tons. I would like to spend around 8mill/yr on 1 good corner and total of around $22mill on 2 edges (maybe 1 borderline elite). $30mill of 48mill on defense would be great. The rest of it, I would put on receivers. I would add LT in 1st round draft to save money, and best player available in 2nd round (maybe a speed receiver in 2nd round - has to complement Michael Pittman, who is a strength/power receiver rather than long-range speed bomb).

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Edge and corner, we have so many options! I don't want to even go through them because there are tons. I would like to spend around 8mill/yr on 1 good corner and total of around $22mill on 2 edges (maybe 1 borderline elite). $30mill of 48mill on defense would be great. The rest of it, I would put on receivers. I would add LT in 1st round draft to save money, and best player available in 2nd round (maybe a speed receiver in 2nd round - has to complement Michael Pittman, who is a strength/power receiver rather than long-range speed bomb).

Here's a FA you may not have heard of... Carl Lawson DE.

Bengals may make it a priority to resign him though.

I would like to see us upgrade our edge, cornerback, and receiver in free-agency. Receiver I don't see many options unfortunately... Golladay is awesome but can't stay healthy, don't want him. Will Fuller, injury-prone. I like Curtis Samuel even though I don't consider him a #1 WR - better than nothing. I hope we get him. I like TY Hilton but he is not the same anymore as couple years ago - time to let him go. I would like to add Jonnu Smith too at TE. Samuel/Jonnu could be solid.
    JuJu is available, that may be a good fit for the Colts,... They probably should address WR in Free Agency instead of getting one with a high draft pick.

Colts have pick #21 & #54

You guys need to replace OT Anthony Castonzo.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post

Bengals may make it a priority to resign him though.

JuJu is available, that may be a good fit for the Colts,... They probably should address WR in Free Agency instead of getting one with a high draft pick.

Colts have pick #21 & #54

You guys need to replace OT Anthony Castonzo.
    Never heard of Carl Lawson but stats look good. We have tons of options at edge so I think we can easily add 2 solid edges to add that entire dimension to our defense we didn't have much of last season. That's the only thing we were missing last season tbh. We have a solid team outside of that - maybe also missing depth at corner.

Juju is a solid slot-receiver but has behavior problems. I don't know what to think of him.. Colts often use 2-TE sets & Pittman is solid enough to give some good plays at slot. I prefer we spend money on a speed WR to replace TY for downfield plays. We don't really need to spend big bucks on another slot receiver.

I would use 1st round pick on LT. I don't know about 2nd round yet - probably want to go with best player available regardless of position there or trade down a bit if we can get something worthwhile in return.

Free agency has just added another intriguing name to the talent pool.

The Los Angeles Chargers announced Saturday that the club has released two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Casey Hayward. The move saves L.A. about $9.75 million in cap space.

"When we signed Casey during free agency back in 2016, we felt that we were adding a starting-caliber corner who still had a considerable amount of unrealized potential," general manager Tom Telesco said in a statement. "Not only did Casey realize that potential in the years that followed, he exceeded our high expectations and became a prominent leader for our team both on and off the field.

"He started 75-of-78 games with us, was named to a pair of All-Pro teams, made two trips to the Pro Bowl, earned our 2017 Walter Payton Man of the Year nomination and has been a multi-year team captain. These type of well-rounded individuals don't come around very often, and we're incredibly fortunate to have had Casey Hayward on this football team the past five years."

A 2012 second-round pick out of Vanderbilt, Hayward spent his first four years with the Packers before signing a three-year, $15.3 million contract with the Bolts in March 2016. His signing proved immediately impactful as he went on to lead the NFL in interceptions (seven) and earn his first of back-to-back Pro Bowl and second-team All-Pro nods.

As Telesco highlighted, Hayward served as a pillar of consistency throughout his time with the franchise. The 31-year-old turned in another solid campaign in 2020, appearing in 14 games (13 starts) and recording 41 tackles, eight passes defensed and one interception.

Hayward, who turns 32 in September, is coming off a late-season hamstring injury that landed him on IR, but he is a worthwhile target every CB-needy squad should take a hard look at this offseason.

I would like to add Jonnu Smith too at TE. Samuel/Jonnu could be solid.

Patriots.

Former Tennessee Titans tight end Jonnu Smith has reportedly found a new home in free agency, as he has agreed to terms with the New England Patriots.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Smith will sign a four-year, $50 million deal when players are allowed to officially ink their contracts on March 17.

The Pats are giving Smith a whopping $31.25 million guaranteed, and the annual average salary works out to $12.5 million per year.

Aaron Jones back in GB

Shaquil Barrett back in TB

Chiefs to sign former Patriots OL Joe Thuney to 5-year / $80 million deal

The Kansas City Chiefs are officially on the board, as they’re set to sign former New England Patriots OL Joe Thuney to a five-year deal worth $80 million according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Thuney’s agent later confirmed the deal.

Thuney is a former third-round draft pick by the Patriots in the 2016 NFL draft out of NC State. The 28-year-old has been their starting left guard since his rookie season back in 2016. He played for New England on the franchise tag in 2020. This year he was viewed by many as the top free-agent interior offensive lineman available.

Chargers sign top Center in the NFL, Corey Linsley. Hopefully him and Bulaga stay healthy. Thunderbert's gonna dominate.

The Tennessee Titans are signing former Pittsburgh Steelers edge Bud Dupree, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported. Dupree deal is for five years at $16.5 million per season with a max of $85 million and $35 million guaranteed, Rapoport added.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post
    and he went to the Jets.

Defensive end Carl Lawson's departure from Cincinnati has turned into a most lucrative exit.

Lawson and the New York Jets have agreed to terms on a three-year, $45 million deal with $30 million in guaranteed money, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday. Lawson can earn a max of $47.4 million, Rapoport added.

Following four seasons with the Bengals, who selected him in the fourth round in 2017, Lawson hit the market as the No. 5 free agent and No. 4 pass rusher in Gregg Rosenthal's Top 101 free agents of 2021 and has hit upon a huge pay day in Gotham.

Jets need to keep Darnold... completely abandon any hope of ever putting together a good passing offense and try to build a supreme defense w/ an above average run game.

Trade down that #2 pick and build up that O-Line and Defense.

edit: they got WR Corey Davis.

Davis is departing Tennessee and heading for the Big Apple, as the fifth-overall pick of the 2017 NFL Draft and the Jets have agreed to terms on a three-year deal for $37.5 million, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

ESPN first reported the news.

Buccaneers bringing back TE Rob Gronkowski for one year, $10 million

Colts have not signed anyone, huh? I guess we are waiting for every team to blow their loads before we drop our $48mill on the table.. I do worry though that we won't have anyone very good remaining. Edges are flying off the board. Not many corners as it is. Not many decent WRs. The 3 positions we badly need.

I don't mind not signing any LT, which we badly need. Our best bet is to draft LT in 1st round.

NE adding some quality pieces no? Just not a fan of Cam Newton resigning.

Fitzmagic with the WFT

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Of course we release our best O-lineman for no reason. Hudson is a stud, a team will be lucky to add him.

Pats making some moves, Belichick very active. Bucs also getting their most notable players back, getting Barrett back was big, early favorites to repeat. Saints losing some key pieces along with Brees, their era of winning is likely over.