Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    College superstar

Default How many titles would Prime Kobe win in place of Jordan?

take kobe anywhere from 01-10. how many titles does he win in place of 91-98 jordan?

kobe and lebron both played in the toughest defensive era (03-04), so i think he would transition well. keep in mind the 90s had statistically weaker defenses. no disrespect to the 90s but i believe kobe would have destroyed dan majerle, drexler & byron scott.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: How many titles would Prime Kobe win in place of Jordan?

I think he beats an injured Laker team in '91, and Clyde's squad in '92. Probably loses to Barkley in '93, Pippen shit the bed and Charles was a beast. Could definitely grab 2/3 from the Jazz and Sonics. So probably around 4 rings. I don't think he'd retire at any point though so he'd have some extra chances in the middle too.

I think 3-4 is doable. Of course he wouldn't put up the same obscene numbers as MJ. But Kobe is still 90% of the player MJ was. A lot of the modern day teenage fanbase underrates Kobe. Like prime Kobe from 2006-2010 would be the best player in the current NBA IMO.

My guess is around 3-4, more is not unlikely. Not just in the finals but the ecf might have posed problems for kobe in the playoffs. That kobe would be younger than mj, just to note.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    I think he beats an injured Laker team in '91, and Clyde's squad in '92. Probably loses to Barkley in '93, Pippen shit the bed and Charles was a beast. Could definitely grab 2/3 from the Jazz and Sonics. So probably around 4 rings. I don't think he'd retire at any point though so he'd have some extra chances in the middle too.
    pippen averaged 21/8/7 shooting 44% from the field. dont think you can say he shit the bed with that statline. i also think you are underselling how poor the suns defense was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zQAGYRjaIs#t=11m29

^^^this guy overdoes it a bit with the commentary but his general point is accurate.. no paint defense unlike what people exaggerate. isos & single coverage on almost every possession etc. kobe would annihilate the suns just like he did in 2010. he would probably have a career series against kj & majerle.

i think 4-5 championships is fair however. good point on kobe not retiring, and that leaving the door open for more. might sound like im roasting mj, but im really not. the last dance & media goat hype with lebron & jordan had me back in the lab watching footage again lol.. prime kobe would feast in the 90s. same with lebron

I rule the local playground OrlandoMagicGuy's Avatar

He'd have to get past the 92 Knicks first which took the bulls to 7 games and Pippen was trash in that series.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoMagicGuy View Post
    He'd have to get past the 92 Knicks first which took the bulls to 7 games and Pippen was trash in that series.
    call me crazy, but i like kobe's chances vs starks & mark jackson. kobe was more of a jumpshooter than jordan so i think he kills em in a different & more cerebral way.

College superstar

Skillwise it is very close. Maybe it's more of a question of how well Kobe's intangibles fit into the team. Kobe would obviously lead or challenge the team in a different way that MJ did alongside Pippen. On court, Kobe would tend to sometimes force things even if they're not going his way. He also tends to sometimes play outside of the system and do more iso. Long term discipline and consistency will affect the team's overall capability to 3peat. Overall, I think Kobe would be a good fit and could probably win 4-5+ in those years without retirement.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Airupthere View Post
    Skillwise it is very close. Maybe it's more of a question of how well Kobe's intangibles fit into the team. Kobe would obviously lead or challenge the team in a different way that MJ did alongside Pippen. On court, Kobe would tend to sometimes force things even if they're not going his way. He also tends to sometimes play outside of the system and do more iso. Long term discipline and consistency will affect the team's overall capability to 3peat. Overall, I think Kobe would be a good fit and could probably win 4-5+ in those years without retirement.
    People said that about MJ too before he started winning. They said Bird and Magic were > because they were better passers and team players. Magic beat MJ for league MVP 3/4 years before 1991.

College superstar

People said that about MJ too before he started winning. They said Bird and Magic were > because they were better passers and team players. Magic beat MJ for league MVP 3/4 years before 1991.
    During the earlier part of MJ's career yes. But from 91-98, they were running the triangle like a well oiled machine. Another thing I failed to mention is I think MJ is better overall defensively and that may be a significant factor to what they can achieve over that span.

Local High School Star

Every time kobe played on the best team in the league he won a ring so put him on the bulls with pippen, grant and rodman they would be the best team in the league every year. I think Kobe would have to completely choke to not win at least 5.

Very good NBA starter

2-3 rings.

I think his best chances would be 1993 Suns and 1998 Jazz.

Kobe was not as tough as MJ and a far worse defensive player.

He would benefit the most from the high scoring 1993 series, in which he could gun out with an experienced Bulls team.

In 1998, he would again be expected to score all the time and do little else.

He would definitely lose against Magic, tossup against Portland. Would lose to 1997 Jazz and would lose to Seattle.

I rule the local playground OrlandoMagicGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24 View Post
    call me crazy, but i like kobe's chances vs starks & mark jackson. kobe was more of a jumpshooter than jordan so i think he kills em in a different & more cerebral way.
    You're crazy because that's all he did was take jump shots that series,the announcers even showed it on the screen.Knicks prevented them from getting to the basket and if they did they'd have to pay for it.Pat Riley disciplined them to get into shape and would fine any player that let an opponent score easy baskets at the rim.

Saw a basketball once

I strongly believe that kobe would win 5 rings and 3 mvps. I think that mamba would figure out earlier than mj that to win the bad boy pistons kobe would have to gain more muscles. So, I think that he would win the pistons more times than michael jordan sur to his mentality. Now, I do not think that kobe would win the karl malone, john stockton duo. That is the particular reason that I think that he would win 5 chips.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

I think 92, 93, and 98 would be the toughest.

92 would be Knicks and Portland. The defense was crazy with the Knicks and pushed him to seven games. And Portland was very talented.

I'm not too sure if they get pass the Knicks in 93 or beat the Suns. MJ had to go off on the Suns. I dunno if Kobe could do the same thing.

And 98, everybody was old and injured.

There are some series that might be tougher too. Like the 91 Lakers would be a tougher. 97 would be interesting with the Heat, but I'm sure they could pull it off. The Jazz might be tougher.