Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good college starter

Default Re: How do you think Kareem would handle prime Shaq if he had played against him.

Quote Originally Posted by julizaver View Post
    Wilt is wildly considered the strongest player ever - while he can give some 50 pounds plus to Shaq, it is not like he is going to be moved like a doll by Shaq, Wilt is the worst possible opponent Shaq could face, because it will be a battle under the post, where Wilt dominated historically. I bet Shaq shooting 0.45 vs Wilt ...

That is true and you have raised some fair points but I still believe Shaq would get his stats no matter the opponent he is facing would Wilt make life tough for Shaq yeah probably as he would try to wear him down over the full 48 minutes of the game by dominating the boards and also going at Shaq in the post as well.

One thing is for certain though and that is that it would have been far better if you made Shaq Wilt's main rival in the 1960s instead of Russell. As it would have been so much more entertaining seeing someone that could physically match Wilt and go toe to toe with him on both sides of the court as it would have forced him to go all out against Shaq instead of holding back as he did with Russell.
    Last edited by coastalmarker99; 03-05-2021 at 06:00 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Default Re: How do you think Kareem would handle prime Shaq if he had played against him.

I haven't watched enough prime/peak Kareem to really say. I watched some games of 77. Watched some games when he was with the Bucks. But it's been a minute, so I wann'a watch'em again.

I mostly watched 80s Kareem.

So, from what I seen, Shaq would get his. Kareem is length by bother Shaq when doing those baby jump hooks, but I don't think Kareem would really stop him when he decides to out muscle him and back him down. Now Kareem is strong, he has the skinny strength , but not strong enough to contain Shaq at least from what I seen and read. I seen few games between him and Moses, never seen him between Artis Gilmore, but seen him against Wilt. He has more lateral movement and motor when he was younger in his prime than 80s, where I mostly watched. Wilt played him very well, but I always felt that Kareem was better offensively later on in his career and was more polish. Shaq won't do as well as Wilt imo. Wilt had more quickness, could jump high, and was just more active. But Shaq would definitely be motivated

Kareem could take Shaq outside and i don't think he could really guard him with his post moves.

Shaq would definitely out muscle Kareem. And he could not guard Shaq either.

Whenever I talk to ppl who saw them both at their prime, that's they said to me. They wouldn't be able to stop each other. You could argue with Shaq's physical play, he could wear Kareem out. But I don't think he will, but I dunno. Like others said, Wilt has a better chance at slowing down Shaq. But Shaq's decent footwork and touch at the paint, he'll still get his. I don't think Wilt will get out muscle like Kareem would.

KAJ is the best center in NBA history, maybe the best player in NBA history and that includes prime Shaq. He's 11x All-Defensive Team and 4x led in shot blocks. He's a better defender than Shaq ever dreamed of being. His size and length would give Shaq problems. Yes, Shaq's strength would be challenging but let's flip it around, how in the hell is Shaq going to guard Kareem? Shaq was an ok defender but that's not going to cut it against a prime Jabbar. KAJ would eat him for lunch and s--- him out.

While I love Moses, the 80's version of Kareem was no where near his prime.

Stop it. No one is stopping prime Shaq.

Local High School Star Chick Stern's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogueBorg View Post
    KAJ is the best center in NBA history, maybe the best player in NBA history and that includes prime Shaq. He's 11x All-Defensive Team and 4x led in shot blocks. He's a better defender than Shaq ever dreamed of being. His size and length would give Shaq problems. Yes, Shaq's strength would be challenging but let's flip it around, how in the hell is Shaq going to guard Kareem? Shaq was an ok defender but that's not going to cut it against a prime Jabbar. KAJ would eat him for lunch and s--- him out.

While I love Moses, the 80's version of Kareem was no where near his prime.
    This.
    In rebounding alone Kareem outplayed Shaq.
    Shaq would have definitely got his, however,
    Kareem would have dominated Shaq with footwork, offense and FTs.
    Kareem would have known how to get to Shaq in the head.
    He taught the youngin this:

This thread has been made a few times before.

Kareem wouldn't stop Shaq. The physical mismatch is real and Shaq is too strong even for late 70's Kareem who was 260-270 lbs. However Shaq also wouldn't stop Kareem. It's not like he's going to block the skyhook and you couldn't really disrupt it without fouling him. Kareem was too crafty with that shot. Artis Gilmore was super strong and Kareem still shot the lights out against him. Both Kareem and Shaq would get their own offensively which is around 30 ppg on high efficiency. Kareem at his best was a better defender though. And even though it isn't a big factor but in crunch time Shaq will become a bit of a liability whereas Kareem is the most clutch big man ever.

I see peak Kareem as better than peak Shaq by a hair. Thus it's natural to think that he would be the better player.

The OP mentioned Moses but apart from rebounding Moses didn't exactly outplay Jabbar who was a much better passer and a much better defender. Basketball isn't a 1-on-1 game. And yes Kareem was 34 and 36 in those series facing a peak Moses. I'd say his 25/11/3 that he put up were rather great. The stories of those matchups are a bit overblown anyways considering that two didn't exclusively guard each other.