Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good college starter

Default How do you think Kareem would handle prime Shaq if he had played against him.

Would prime's Shaq's strength and weight advantage be a nightmare for Kareem who really struggled to deal defensively with the other physical centre's of that era such as Moses who owned him in the 1981 playoffs and 1983 playoffs on the boards and inside the paint?

Consider this: Moses Malone and Kareem faced off 41 times, including the playoffs. Moses totally shut down Jabbar, especially with his total domination of Kareem in the playoffs, when he went 28.1/17.9 to Kareem's 24.9/11.4.

Malone's Rockets and Sixers went 6-1 against Jabaar's Lakers in their careers, in the playoffs and he pulled off one of the greatest upsets in 1981 when both Magic and Kareem choked as defending champions against a Rockets team that went 40 and 42 that season.

https://stathead.com/basketball/h2h_..._id2=malonmo01

Now, you have to ask...what could Moses Malone do better, skill-wise, than Shaq? A: Nothing, as far as I know...(besides making free throws and offensive rebounding).

So I think Shaq would have a clear advantage in this matchup as he is far too strong and quick for his size and weight for Kareem even in his prime to handle so Kareem might deal with a lot of foul trouble as many other center's did when they faced Shaq.
    Last edited by coastalmarker99; 03-04-2021 at 07:32 PM.

Good college starter

Default Re: How do you think Kareem would handle prime Shaq if he had played against him.

The more I watch prime Shaq I think that no one in Nba history besides Wilt with his height and incredible strength plus athleticism could guard him one on one successfully.

But even then I think that If Prime Shaq was allowed to play with the level of contact they allowed in 2000 (as opposed to 1967), he would utterly give Wilt nightmares. He had at least 50 lbs on him, probably more like 65, and guys just wouldn't jostle in the post with the same sort of aggression in Wilt's day (because it was called softer by the refs)

So it would be a big adjustment for Wilt to deal with Shaq's extreme love of physically in the post it might even overwhelm Wilt who could be in frequent foul trouble against Shaq. And as a result, he might have to back off against Shaq which would ensure that Shaq would go off for 30 and 15 against him.
    Last edited by coastalmarker99; 03-04-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Default Re: How do you think Kareem would handle prime Shaq if he had played against him.

A younger Mutombo had success against him but was unfortunately obliterated in that one series as a 34 year old going against Shaq at his peak.

Made that high school varsity squad Thenameless's Avatar

Moses definitely dominated Kareem. I saw it too.

Having said that, the very best of Kareem was when he was younger and still more athletic. Kareem was very slight of build and would definitely get muscled by Moses or Shaq at any age, but the younger 71-76 version of Kareem would have been able to give it to them on the offensive side with his length and finesse. Moses would be difficult for Kareem for the whole game, but Shaq gets tired quickly and I think he'd either have to sit or Kareem would start to get the better of him as the game goes on.

NBA sixth man of the year

What is Kareem about 230 lbs? That's cute, Shaq was pushing 400 lbs by 2002. Shaq would kill skinny Kareem but Shaq wouldn't be able to guard Kareem either, he would tell Horry or someone else to guard him. So they would both dominate each other because Shaq never really cared about man to man defense like that. I think Shaq's domination over Kareem would be more brutal though because he would just push him around and dunk on him constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by HBK_Kliq_2 View Post
    What is Kareem about 230 lbs? That's cute, Shaq was pushing 400 lbs by 2002. Shaq would kill skinny Kareem but Shaq wouldn't be able to guard Kareem either, he would tell Horry or someone else to guard him. So they would both dominate each other because Shaq never really cared about man to man defense like that. I think Shaq's domination over Kareem would be more brutal though because he would just push him around and dunk on him constantly.
    Except that Shaq absolutely cared about those individual matchups and was a very good man to man defender. Phil Jackson would always ask Shaq to guard the opposing power forward at the end games because while Horry was a smart defender he was always overmatched. Shaq would proceed to switch on the Duncans, Webbers, Wallace etc. What Shaq hated to do is leave the paint and guard the perimeter because he felt that paint protection was more important back then.

Kareem would handle Shaq by egging on Kobe, therefore Shaq would never see the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by coastalmarker99 View Post
    The more I watch prime Shaq I think that no one in Nba history besides Wilt with his height and incredible strength plus athleticism could guard him one on one successfully.

But even then I think that If Prime Shaq was allowed to play with the level of contact they allowed in 2000 (as opposed to 1967), he would utterly give Wilt nightmares. He had at least 50 lbs on him, probably more like 65, and guys just wouldn't jostle in the post with the same sort of aggression in Wilt's day (because it was called softer by the refs)

So it would be a big adjustment for Wilt to deal with Shaq's extreme love of physically in the post it might even overwhelm Wilt who could be in frequent foul trouble against Shaq. And as a result, he might have to back off against Shaq which would ensure that Shaq would go off for 30 and 15 against him.
    Cuz Wilt was skinny. Everyone was skinny in the 60s. Steroids in sports didn't take off until the late 80s.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    Cuz Wilt was skinny. Everyone was skinny in the 60s. Steroids in sports didn't take off until the late 80s.
    The Steelers super bowl teams in the 70’s were using steroids.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43 View Post
    Except that Shaq absolutely cared about those individual matchups and was a very good man to man defender. Phil Jackson would always ask Shaq to guard the opposing power forward at the end games because while Horry was a smart defender he was always overmatched. Shaq would proceed to switch on the Duncans, Webbers, Wallace etc. What Shaq hated to do is leave the paint and guard the perimeter because he felt that paint protection was more important back then.
    He took zero responsibility in guarding Duncan in 2003 or 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by HBK_Kliq_2 View Post
    He took zero responsibility in guarding Duncan in 2003 or 2004.
    Probably because Shaq got old and never maintained his weight making him slower and less agile as he was entering the end of his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43 View Post
    A younger Mutombo had success against him but was unfortunately obliterated in that one series as a 34 year old going against Shaq at his peak.
    Mutombo literally won DPOY that year he wasn’t exactly washed up.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Mutombo literally won DPOY that year he wasn’t exactly washed up.
    Deke was still good but he was quicker and more athletic in his younger days and would have been a better matchup against Shaq peak vs. peak.

Local High School Star

Would prime's Shaq's strength and weight advantage be a nightmare for Kareem who really struggled to deal defensively with the other physical centre's of that era such as Moses who owned him in the 1981 playoffs and 1983 playoffs on the boards and inside the paint?

Consider this: Moses Malone and Kareem faced off 41 times, including the playoffs. Moses totally shut down Jabbar, especially with his total domination of Kareem in the playoffs, when he went 28.1/17.9 to Kareem's 24.9/11.4.

Malone's Rockets and Sixers went 6-1 against Jabaar's Lakers in their careers, in the playoffs and he pulled off one of the greatest upsets in 1981 when both Magic and Kareem choked as defending champions against a Rockets team that went 40 and 42 that season.

https://stathead.com/basketball/h2h_..._id2=malonmo01

Now, you have to ask...what could Moses Malone do better, skill-wise, than Shaq? A: Nothing, as far as I know...(besides making free throws and offensive rebounding).

So I think Shaq would have a clear advantage in this matchup as he is far too strong and quick for his size and weight for Kareem even in his prime to handle so Kareem might deal with a lot of foul trouble as many other center's did when they faced Shaq.
    Kareem would not able to handle Shaq - but he could outscore him. Kareem is not the best defender (not that he is not capable of, but he is more offense than defense). Young Shaq had some early troubles in his rookey year when facing the prime centers in the 90s. But then he bulked and got unstoppable by his second year. I wish Shaq was more dedicated to bball, but that is.

To stick again to Kareem vs Shaq - Kareem was very quick, got the height advantage, and while no match under the post he can jump also and will make some troubles for Shaqs baby hook. But I don't see Kareem guarding Shaq all day long one on one, they will be adjustments, help from teammates. And in the opposite site it will be like Kareem in Hakeem role in 1995 ... with the notion that prime Kareem is better than Hakeem.

Local High School Star

Wilt is wildly considered the strongest player ever - while he can give some 50 pounds plus to Shaq, it is not like he is going to be moved like a doll by Shaq, Wilt is the worst possible opponent Shaq could face, because it will be a battle under the post, where Wilt dominated historically. I bet Shaq shooting 0.45 vs Wilt ...