Good college starter

Default What if the 1960's used today's rules who do you think benefits the most from this

In this what-if pretend that the 1960's adapts today's rules.

Which players from that era do you think benefit the most from playing under today's rules for their entire career;

For me, Wilt would be even more unstoppable throughout the 1960s if he was allowed to use his full physically in the post and not been able to be hand-checked by his defenders with the freedom of movement rule so therefore as a result of this he might average 55 to 60 a game in 1962 instead of 50.

West would be lethal and hard to guard with the new dibbling rules along with the freedom of movement rule as would Oscar.

Baylor would benefit massively from the new dibbling rules and travelling rules along with being able to run over people as both Lebron and Giannis do nowadays and still get the and one calls as those players do.

Russell's game and defensive dominance would be hugely hurt by today's rules that favour the offensive player over the defensive player and it is very hard to see him being able to contain Wilt at all. If he is now not allowed to hand-check him or get foul calls when Wilt backs him down in the post using his full strength before dunking all over his head.

Default Re: What if the 1960's used today's rules who do you think benefits the most from thi

I think this is a good food for thought thread.

I wouldn't foresee any of those players benefitting from today's rule changes particularly, in fact their stats would decrease and be more aligned with today's best players, although I think Wilt would still be the most statistically impressive player in the game. I think Wilt's game would be very similar to a combo of Patrick Ewing's offensive game with a bit more scoring and scoring efficiency, and Dwight Howard's defensive game except I don't think his defense would be as impressive as a prime Dwight Howard, but the stats would be there, so it might be similar to a David Robinson. The other factor to consider with Wilt is that there are substantially more big and bigger bodies in the paint in the past 5 years than when Wilt played, so he'd have more trouble getting 30.

I'd fathom that Jerry West got all the foul calls back then, but he also shot from distance quite a bit, although most of the shots from beyond 16 feet are around 18, so he'd ring up some threes. Since Elgin clearly didn't have a jump shot, I don't think he'd do as well.

Players like Bill Russell and Oscar Robertson didn't have a jump shot as sophisticated and sound as West's, so while they might get a few more foul calls in their favor, it seems like it'd be a wash statistically while having to face more sophisticated defenses of the modernized era.

Decent college freshman 2much_knowledge's Avatar

Default Re: What if the 1960's used today's rules who do you think benefits the most from thi

I think Elgin and Jerry