Default Doncic rookie card sells for $4.6 million; sets record for Basketball collectible

That is insane

I'm curious about MJ and Kobe's rookie cards
    Last time I checked, MJ highest card was like at 75 000$

Default Re: Doncic rookie card sells for $4.6 million; sets record for Basketball collectible

Nice way to launder money. I'll keep this in mind. I'll have to track down a Mutombo card and sell it to a holding in Congo for a ridiculous price.

Default Re: Doncic rookie card sells for $4.6 million; sets record for Basketball collectible

Why do these cards cost so much, are they really rare? We have no tradition when it comes to NBA cards in my country

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

This is a nuts outlier. Buyer must not care about money. A card is worth what someone will pay but Doncic's mother ain't giving you 4.6 mil for a picture.

Local High School Star

I could understand a game-worn jersey or shoes, but a card? Makes me sick. Then again I have never collected or traded cards. Just never seemed interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by k0kakw0rld View Post
    That is insane

There are no /5 autographed rookie cards for either. An autograph super scarce MJ rookie card would be unpayable when some base card that was produced some 10.000 times sells for 75.000$.

It's the only version of that card ever made, and has a Luka autograph and piece of a game-worn jersey. Still, this shit is nuts.

Stuff like this is also a way to sort out money owed to people in black market industries. He might just be laundering money for whoever he bought that from.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el View Post
    It's the only version of that card ever made, and has a Luka autograph and piece of a game-worn jersey. Still, this shit is nuts.

Stuff like this is also a way to sort out money owed to people in black market industries. He might just be laundering money for whoever he bought that from.
    That would make sense. Doncic is a great talent but a signed Bill Russell rookie card wouldn't get you this payday.

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    This is a nuts outlier. Buyer must not care about money. A card is worth what someone will pay but Doncic's mother ain't giving you 4.6 mil for a picture.
    The original buyer payed over $450,000 for the card, and people thought that THAT was an insane amount. Turns out it was actually a pretty shrewd investment, if the transaction went as advertised. Did the buyer pay $4.5 million for the card with the understanding that the seller would hand him back $2.5 million under the table? Now the seller has $2 million, way more that he would have made in a regular transaction, and the buyer only paid $2 million for a card that's "worth" over twice that.

College superstar

Does the card hold a ton of value in itself? Does it do anything? The price is really just a perception of how much someone is willing t pay for it. The card itself has little value.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

The white goat

This is probably a sign of a bubble.

But sports memorabilia has been taking off for a few years now.

Top Shots for example - digital collectibles - LeBron's highlight dunk over Bjelica sold for a record $208k.

That might not seem like much compared to what rookie cards go for, but consider that it's just a video loop with a unique blockchain ID and someone bought it for $208,000.

Quote Originally Posted by k0kakw0rld View Post
    That is insane

LeBron's rookie card had just set the record a few months ago at $1.8 million.

The fact that Luka's is so much higher gives me some cause for concern as an investor. This is probably a bad analogy, but it's like when an athlete obliterates olympic records with ease - it's considered a sign of doping.

Similarly, for Doncic's rookie card to obliterate the old record so soon may be the clearest sign of a bubble yet.

People have been warning that the sports card market is going to crash soon. Others remain bullish. We'll see.