Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: The reason why current competition is irrefutably greater than Jordan's

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy View Post
    I just tried to whisk up the GOAT international 90's team across 10 season versus NBA's current who's who. Team 90's got swallowed by 2021 France, Serbia, Australia and Germs before they were even qualified into Vegas to face team Canada. I even slipped them baby Peja class of 98
    Hakeem / Dirk / Nash or Tony Parker / Manu / Peja

vs

Luca / Giannis / Jokic / Murray / Siakam

I'd take today's international team vs team all time but that's one hell of a match up. 7 game series for sure.

Default Re: The reason why current competition is irrefutably greater than Jordan's

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    If you could put together something like Sabonis, Hakeem, Ewing, Drazen, Kukoc, and Detlef and hope marciulionis could play point the late 80s early 90s team would be pretty great. Late 80s you would have a lot more to work with.
    You can hear Sabonis and Vlade wheezing and sucking wind from the 2 pack habit, ball watching as career bench star Patty Mills zips to his corner spot on the break for his 5th three of the half. Ewings moldy knee pads rip off mid transition like Forest Gump, the bindings weren't meant to hold this type of activity and lateral movement Pat. *splash* Embiid knocks down another open 3 with 15 seconds left on the shot clock, Hakeeem furious he has to defend near the arc. Starts malding in Nigerian, unknowing that Joel and Luka are both fluent in that as well and both use it to their advantage

The first half closes

Embiid retweets the clip of Olajawon's tantrum. 550k likes

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    The talent pool isn't bigger but the best international players at that time largely weren't good enough to dominate in the NBA. There were some like Oscar Schmidt, Nikos Galis and Dejan Bodiroga who never came to the NBA but many came as absolute megastars and weren't that good.
    I wonder why that is

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post

vs

I'd take today's international team vs team all time but that's one hell of a match up. 7 game series for sure.
    That first team would wipe the floor with today's team

Great post OP, I couldn't agree more.

I always figured it was well known that the 90s was an extremely weak, watered-down era that was an embarrassing time for the NBA. Literal grocery baggers and auto mechanics were starting in all-star games and playing in the Finals.

Thank goodness we are blessed to watch the 2005+ era. Very high skilled and cream of the crop talent both U.S. and International.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Great post OP, I couldn't agree more.

I always figured it was well known that the 90s was an extremely weak, watered-down era that was an embarrassing time for the NBA. Literal grocery baggers and auto mechanics were starting in all-star games and playing in the Finals.

Thank goodness we are blessed to watch the 2005+ era. Very high skilled and cream of the crop talent both U.S. and International.
    Weak ass era just like the 60s because only one team has won more than three rings during those respective decades.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post

vs

None of the first team guys are Jordan era, save for Hakeem. 4 played into the LeBron era.

It's not even debatable.

The expansion era from 1988 to 2004 featured some extremely weak finals teams.

I think a 90's international team of Drazen/Schrempf/Kukoc/Ewing/Hakeem with Sabonis/Radja/Smits off the bench could take on the best international teams today.

National High School Star

I think a 90's international team of Drazen/Schrempf/Kukoc/Ewing/Hakeem with Sabonis/Radja/Smits off the bench could take on the best international teams today.
    Ewing is not an international player. He grew up in the USA was all American in HS and played for the USA in the Olympics before he played in the NBA. Like I said, are we calling Kyrie an international? If so, my point is even stronger!!

And the rest of the players didn't even have overlapping careers, let alone overlapping primes. You taking 93 Drazen with 98 Sabonis!?

Today there are 4 international players who each have a case for BITW. And another half dozen who would be given genuine all-star consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieSteve View Post
    Ewing is not an international player. He grew up in the USA was all American in HS and played for the USA in the Olympics before he played in the NBA. Like I said, are we calling Kyrie an international? If so, my point is even stronger!!

And the rest of the players didn't even have overlapping careers, let alone overlapping primes. You taking 93 Drazen with 98 Sabonis!?

Today there are 4 international players who each have a case for BITW. And another half dozen who would be given genuine all-star consideration.
    Kyrie has American ex-pat parents who lived in Melbourne when he was born. Ewing on the other hand is a full-blood Jamaican and not American. He first moved to the US when he was 12. Kyrie is clearly not international and Ewing is.

Kyrie has American ex-pat parents who lived in Melbourne when he was born. Ewing on the other hand is a full-blood Jamaican and not American. He first moved to the US when he was 12. Kyrie is clearly not international and Ewing is.
    Ewing learned to play basketball in America is my point. He wasn't recruited from an overseas league or didn't come to the US to play college ball and then got drafted.

He came into the league via the standard HS -> college-> NBA path.

All International teams for this season

1st Team
    Embiid
    Jokic
    Giannis
    Murray
    Doncic

2nd team
    Gobert
    Sabonis
    Siakam
    SGA
    Simmons

3rd Team
    Vucevic
    Porzingis
    Gallinari
    Bogdnovic
    Schroder

And look at all the guys that don't get in...

Adams
    Horford
    Gasol
    Capela
    Wiggins
    The other Bogdanovic
    Rubio
    Ingles
    Dragic
    Ibaka
    Valaciunas
    Mills

Take 90% of these guys out of the league and replace them with G Leaguers... that is the NBA in the late 90s. You just can't argue with this.

It doesn't mean LeBron is better than Jordan. Or anyone is better than anyone else for that matter. It just means you can't draw too much from comparing stats, rings and accomplishments between eras because the competition was not the same.

Banned

Oscar Schmidt at his peak was one of the best basketball players in the world.

Yet this man never played a minute in the NBA. Can you imagine Dirk Nowitzki never playing in the NBA?

Aside from the fact that NBA's two best perimeter players of the 90s played on the same Chicago Bulls team, this shows just how watered down the competition was during that era. The top perimeter players were especially extra watered down. Mark Price and Latrell Sprewell All-NBA 1st team members? Compare that to the 30+ averaging Bradley Beal not making the all-star team.

Decent college freshman 2much_knowledge's Avatar

More competitive? Maybe
    More skilled/athletic, absolutely
    However, easier rules? Hell yes

The fact that little by little, they have been making small rule changes to make scoring and putting numbers easier ( handchecking, defensive 3 seconds, shorter shot clock) to name a few. You just don't know how current players would react to brutal, physical, no rely on the 3, no super team league

The fact that in the 80s, 90s, the top dogs wanted to compete, prove dominance and take each others head off you have to consider a point when talking about competitive level. Today, the first team to assemble a big 3 or 4 wins the tittle 8/10. Everybody is friendly and try to make alliances and manipulate free agency and the same 4,5 teams at the top get all the big free agents and the bad teams stay bad and never get big free agents to make it more balanced.

Back then, almost all teams had a big 1,2 punch and it was competitive

Robinson/elliot
    Kemp/payton
    Jordan/pippen
    Stockton/malone
    Webber/howard
    Penny/shaq
    Garnett/Marbury
    Ewing/starks
    Sprewell/houston
    Hakeem/drexler
    Thomas/Dummars
    Hakeem/Sampson
    Julius/moses

There were no superteams with 3 franchise players in their prime together.