Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone that doesn't think Worthy would've 4-peated with MJ from 87-91'...

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    So Jordan almost beat the 86' Celtics in Game 2, but the 87' Celtics would sweep jordan AND worthy?

Huh?

Again, your radar/guage of this scenario is off and you're essentially underrating worthy AND jordan
    Okay, look. I said this a few times already, but I don't think you are getting me.

I said wouldn't sweep. Would not sweep. Meaning, the Bulls, with a hypothetical Worthy and MJ, would win a game at the very least.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone that doesn't think Worthy would've 4-peated with MJ from 87-91'...

Quote Originally Posted by Micku View Post
    Okay, look. I said this a few times already, but I don't think you are getting me.

I said wouldn't sweep. Would not sweep. Meaning, the Bulls, with a hypothetical Worthy and MJ, would win a game at the very least.

Again, it's dumb to think MJ/Worthy might win a game, when MJ basically won a game without Worthy against the better 86' team

So you're simply underrating MJ and Worthy and now you're trying to make it not look so bad

Heck, Isiah/Dumars nearly beat the Celtics before Dumars was an all-star, but MJ/Worthy might get swept according to you.. so you're simply off on this one

And you said Worthy would need to "do more" than he did on the Lakers, even though Worthy was #1 option (more than pippen ever did)

Finally, the Bulls had the #19 defense in 1990, and #11 in 1989... Yet they nearly beat the Pistons with nothing from Pippen both years... So how do they not easily win with someone in place of Pippen that completely DOMINATES the pistons like Worthy did?

Basically Micky - you ignore facts and believe what you want

You can't respond with facts or solid comps like I do

Carry on.. I can only respond to bias for so long

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    Again, it's dumb to think MJ/Worthy might win a game, when MJ basically won a game without Worthy against the better 86' team

So you're simply underrating MJ and Worthy and now you're trying to make it not look so bad

Heck, Isiah/Dumars nearly beat the Celtics before Dumars was an all-star, but MJ/Worthy might get swept according to you.. so you're simply off on this one

And you said Worthy would need to "do more" than he did on the Lakers, even though Worthy was #1 option (more than pippen ever did)
    I didn't say might. I said they would win a game. That there is no way the game is gonn'a be a sweep. You've been confusing what I said all throughout this thread. Like you quote me, but saying the complete opposite what I said. Like a poster that only sees what he wants to see. Calm down man.

And Worthy does need to do more. There were more scoring options on the Lakers. More opposition team have to worry about. Kareem and more shooters. On the Bulls you didn't have that. You only had MJ. And he carried that team offensively and defensively in the 80s. It was picking your poison to double on the Lakers. They double team off of Magic, and he'll score or find someone. Underrated shooter imo. So, naturally, he'll have to do more than what he did with the Lakers. Score more. He's capable.

You double team on MJ, it's a win. Double team on of Magic or Worthy? There are still plenty of options.

I didn't say might. I said they would win a game. That there is no way the game is gonn'a be a sweep. You've been confusing what I said all throughout this thread. Like you quote me, but saying the complete opposite what I said. Like a poster that only sees what he wants to see. Calm down man.

And Worthy does need to do more. There were more scoring options on the Lakers. More opposition team have to worry about. Kareem and more shooters. On the Bulls you didn't have that. You only had MJ. And he carried that team offensively and defensively in the 80s. It was picking your poison to double on the Lakers. They double team off of Magic, and he'll score or find someone. Underrated shooter imo. So, naturally, he'll have to do more than what he did with the Lakers. Score more. He's capable.

Worthy averaged 24 on 59% in the 87' Playoffs while winning the title (lakers' 1st option)

How would he need to score more on the bulls when jordan won 6 without ever having that kind of help?

Worthy averaged 24 on 59% in the 87' Playoffs while winning the title (lakers' 1st option)

How would he need to score more on the bulls when jordan won 6 without ever having that kind of help?

Micku?

Micku?

He ran

He ran
    Forgot to switch alts?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Forgot to switch alts?

My alt would never twist himself into a contradictory argument by saying Worthy would need to score MORE alongside MJ than he did alongside Magic (he already averaged more alongside Magic than any MJ sidekick)

He possibly could average that the whole season, which is what I'm alluding to. I dunno about the FG%. As you may know, there are times where there is a bunch of offensive talent on teams, the FG% would naturally improve as well. The Bulls weren't as talented as the Lakers. But MJ could take away the defensive pressure.

But I think you would agree that James Worthy would have to work more on the Bulls.

1. The Bulls didn't play as high of a pace.
    The Bulls were last in pace in 87 and 88. They were one of the last in 89. Dallas and Pistons were lower I believe. While the Lakers did not play the highest pace in the league, they definitely were the kings of the fastbreak. Them and the Celts I believe. But we need numbers to back up the Celts, the Lakers are more known for it.

While you could still execute well in the fast break with a slow pace, I think it's safe to assume the Lakers did the fastbreak more often and had easier buckets. And not just that. The Lakers had more versatility with their play because the talent allowed it. Magic and Worthy could post or run you out of the gym. Kareem could too. Shooters to spread the floor if need be (spacing for the era).

2. Lakers had better role players.

Bulls in 87-89 weren't great at all in terms of role players. They had Oakley for 3 years, but that's it. Meanwhile the Lakers had like 3 all-stars on the regular. A great sixth man and DPOY winner in Michael Cooper.

James Worthy, as good as he was, had a great cast. Top to bottom. Similar to all the great teams in the 80s. And you are putting on the Bulls alongside with MJ, which is great. But they have nobody else. Of course he's gonn'a do more work. He might score more too or at the very least, take more shots in the regular season and to the playoffs. I dunno if his FG% will be the same tho.

doesn't know basketball or history

Jordan nearly beat the Pistons with no sidekick in 89' and 90', so he would destroy them with "Piston-killer" James Worthy.

Worthy was #1 option on the 87' and 88' Lakers over Magic/Kareem, so he played better than Pippen ever did.. Pippen was just the low-producing bum that won the "3-peat with MJ" lottery

Btw, Worthy would've 7-peated with MJ from 85-91' - Worthy averaged 22 on 64% in the 84' Finals and dominated his first Playoffs more than Pippen ever did
    Shut the **** up bitch

Decent college freshman 2much_knowledge's Avatar

I agree on 88, 89 and 90. Not 87 tho. Would have been a war for sure but in 87 i still see the Celts edging out a tough 6 game series. Mj with worthy and a coach preaching ball movement had a pretty good chance to beat the pistons in 88, 89, 90. But i respect the bad boys, maybe chicago 2 - 1 in those 3 years. From 90 to 93, we would have to see if worthy or someone else would fill that gap on defense

Quote Originally Posted by 2much_knowledge View Post

I agree on 88, 89 and 90.

Not 87 tho.

the assumption is that Worthy isn't being dropped onto the 87' Bulls cold turkey - he gets to grow with MJ and the team like Pippen did

A Jordan/Worthy lineup is ridiculously easy to build around - both are highly-assisted players (off-ball) and both are literally the best and quickest iso players in the league.

So that roster wouldn't look the same, and any cast would be tremendously elevated from opponents doubling Jordan and Worthy.. people don't realize that Worthy was top 5 for commanding doubles.

So assuming Jordan/Worthy had a couple years together prior to 87', they beat the Celtics.. Heck, they'd have 2 of the 3 best players on both teams

the assumption is that Worthy isn't being dropped onto the 87' Bulls cold turkey - he gets to grow with MJ and the team like Pippen did

A Jordan/Worthy lineup is ridiculously easy to build around - both are highly-assisted players (off-ball) and both are literally the best and quickest iso players in the league.

So that roster wouldn't look the same, and any cast would be tremendously elevated from opponents doubling Jordan and Worthy.. people don't realize that Worthy was top 5 for commanding doubles.

So assuming Jordan/Worthy had a couple years together prior to 87', they beat the Celtics.. Heck, they'd have 2 of the 3 best players on both teams
    I don't think Worthy was better than Mchale that year in the regular season. Playoffs maybe cuz of the broken foot. But it's a wash imo.

But MJ/Worthy/Oakley is a nice combo ngl.

I don't think Worthy was better than Mchale that year in the regular season. Playoffs maybe cuz of the broken foot. But it's a wash imo.

But MJ/Worthy/Oakley is a nice combo ngl.
    It's useless to argue with 1-9ball because he is too blind and deaf towards others who don't have similar agenda like he does