Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default KG says in his new book he called Kobe to team up before going to Boston.

Garnett shared a funny yet frustrating story on his plans to head to the Lakers after his fallout with the Minnesota Timberwolves. People like Tyronn Lue and Antoine Walker prodded him to get that ring that he deserves.

News broke that the Boston Celtics had just sealed the deal with 3-point assassin Ray Allen. Walker felt that Garnett should follow suit. But in his heart, Garnett wanted to be teammates with Kobe in Los Angeles. So he texted and call the number that Lue gave him -- only not to get a single reply or call back. When they finally saw each other, the following conversation ensued after Garnett had already spurned the Lakers, per Bleacher Report:
    Never got the message
    Bullshit
    What number you call?
    The right number. The one T-Lue gave me.
    You know how it goes, KG” said the Lakers star. We change numbers like we change drawers.
    I’m believing you got the message.”
    Messages get lost.”
    Not when a message is sent 20 f–kin times.”
    Look, man, I had China. I had the new Nike line poppin off. I had more shitt happening than ever before. I was moving in eight different directions.”
    We kept beefin for a minute or two. It got caught on camera, and folks made more of it than was really there. I had me some hurt feelings. Finally, Bean apologized, and that was good enough for me.

Default Re: KG says in his new book he called Kobe to team up before going to Boston.

What an incredible writing talent.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: KG says in his new book he called Kobe to team up before going to Boston.

So basically Kobe ignored Garnett's pleas and requests to form a super team and told him to kick rocks. Not many left like that. *cough* *cough*

And then people got on his back for wanting to play with Luol Deng.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I’m gonna take Kobe at his word on this one. He probably somehow didn’t get the message. This would have been the same summer he requested a trade I think.

Winning>Stats

Kobe was a weird guy. Caron Butler got Kobe's number, rang it, after a couple of minutes of awkward conversation the call ended. Butler rang him a few days later and the number wasn't in use. Kobe had changed his number. A very paranoid man.

Man, those Lakers teams with KG instead of Gasol would have been unfair.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    Man, those Lakers teams with KG instead of Gasol would have been unfair.
    The KG trade would've been for Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum, so Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittenton who were the salaries used for the Gasol trade would've still been on the roster. So unless the other assets used in the KG trade would've been needed for the Gasol trade, which is possible, then theoretically they could've still gotten Gasol.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I’m gonna take Kobe at his word on this one. He probably somehow didn’t get the message. This would have been the same summer he requested a trade I think.
    I agree. I mean, how are you going to say "No" to a Top 5-Top 10 player in the league, especially when your team is not that good (it wasn't in the summer of 2007)? Maybe he switched numbers, didn't see the message or whatever, but I find it hard to believe that he rejected to team up with Kevin Garnett.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pandiani17 View Post
    I agree. I mean, how are you going to say "No" to a Top 5-Top 10 player in the league, especially when your team is not that good (it wasn't in the summer of 2007)? Maybe he switched numbers, didn't see the message or whatever, but I find it hard to believe that he rejected to team up with Kevin Garnett.
    thought he could do it by himself for a couple seasons before he figured out he couldn't

Wished he'd have gone to Phoenix. Marion-Amare-KG frontcourt would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Wished he'd have gone to Phoenix. Marion-Amare-KG frontcourt would be awesome.
    Not a chance they get to keep Amare & Marion in a trade for KG

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    The KG trade would've been for Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum, so Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittenton who were the salaries used for the Gasol trade would've still been on the roster. So unless the other assets used in the KG trade would've been needed for the Gasol trade, which is possible, then theoretically they could've still gotten Gasol.
    Imagine KG Kobe and Gasol all prime lmao... that's the type of stuff people complain about when they are talking unfair super teams.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Imagine KG Kobe and Gasol all prime lmao... that's the type of stuff people complain about when they are talking unfair super teams.
    They were better as they were IMO, KG is a high post guy not a low post banger. Gasol and Odom already filled those roles. Bynum’s size enabled him to get crucial tip-ins and shot blocks deep in the paint.

I know Kobe could always use moar halp, but lets face it he had the most stacked teams humanly possible.

Plus if KG goes to LA that means the Boston Superteam never stop Lebron from getting to the finals, and given Bron’s track record of mushing Kobe head to head, I think it’s obvious how that plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    They were better as they were IMO, KG is a high post guy not a low post banger. Gasol and Odom already filled those roles. Bynum’s size enabled him to get crucial tip-ins and shot blocks deep in the paint.

I know Kobe could always use moar halp, but lets face it he had the most stacked teams humanly possible.

Plus if KG goes to LA that means the Boston Superteam never stop Lebron from getting to the finals, and given Bron’s track record of mushing Kobe head to head, I think it’s obvious how that plays out.

Nah bro, they were not better off with Odom and Bynum than Kevin Garnett. That's absurd. Bynum barely even played in their title runs and when he did he averaged 6/4. Garnett being a high post guy is perfect, since Pau favors the low block, and of course Kobe could lurk outside. It would be like triangle peanut butter and jelly with every zone covered.

That's actually ban worthy to say you'd take Odom over prime Kevin Garnett.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    So basically Kobe ignored Garnett's pleas and requests to form a super team and told him to kick rocks. Not many left like that. *cough* *cough*

And then people got on his back for wanting to play with Luol Deng.
    You really think that this is what happened?

You think Kobe enjoyed scoring 35 a game but losing? After previously winning 3 championships. He would have teamed up with Garnett in a heartbeat. Anyone in his position ever would have.