Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Right now is the MVP Gobert or Mitchell?

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Bill Russell was a lot more dominant vs his peers than Gobert is. But he's certainly not better as a basketball player. Or at least not much better. Gobert would utterly destroy the league if he timetravelled and play in the 60s. If he could stand the racism, flat shoes and bus travels that is.
    I always wonder what people think modern guys are gonna do back then to win when guys who could drop 70 at will were still losing.

Lets say Rudy averages 28/25 and has 50 a few times per season.

Elgin Baylor did like 38/19 and lost anyway. 60 point games in finals he lost.

Wilt was bigger and more athletic than Gobert....led the league in assists....had 4-5 hall of famers with him at times....Celtics win the title anyway.

Whats Goberts 25 rebounds a night gonna do that Bellamys 30/20 didn’t? Bellamy had games of 45/18 on 76% shooting. Lost.

What are these guys gonna do?

All the super humans in the 60s were still losing. He better take someone with him.

One modern guy wouldn’t make a team unbeatable.

Gobert is called The Stifle Tower. He would truly live up to that nickname in the 60s. 10 blocks a game won't be unreasonable.

Also, no one said 1 modern guy make a team unbeatable.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Some people were blocking 8-10 shots a game then. In the 112 games we have record of wilts blocks he averaged 8.8 a game and almost none of those are early career when he was more athletic.

He probably blocked 10 a game to go with his like 35/25 the year his team missed the playoffs.

Guys moving back then would produce more off sheer volume especially bigs because teams played around the rim and bigs got the ball even if they sucked with it. But that wouldn’t make it effective enough to turn the tables against the likes of the Celtics.

Wilt showed that one guy couldn’t do it no matter how productive. In all likelihood Rudy in 1964 is just another super productive big losing to the Celtics who modern fans would say Rudy would destroy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Some people were blocking 8-10 shots a game then. In the 112 games we have record of wilts blocks he averaged 8.8 a game and almost none of those are early career when he was more athletic.

He probably blocked 10 a game to go with his like 35/25 the year his team missed the playoffs.

Guys moving back then would produce more off sheer volume especially bigs because teams played around the rim and bigs got the ball even if they sucked with it. But that wouldn’t make it effective enough to turn the tables against the likes of the Celtics.

Wilt showed that one guy couldn’t do it no matter how productive. In all likelihood Rudy in 1964 is just another super productive big losing to the Celtics who modern fans would say Rudy would destroy.
    But Xiao told me Rudy could replace Russell and the results would be similar. Seriously he said it on page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    But Xiao told me Rudy could replace Russell and the results would be similar. Seriously he said it on page 2.

I love ish

NBA sixth man of the year

mvp of this jazz team, its hard to say really. They are like the 2004 pistons. Billups was seen as the MVP of that team but you can argue Hamilton or Rasheed as well. I would say just based on impact, its between Conley and Gobert.

Playmaker and shooter - Conley
    Scorer - Mitchell and bogi
    Defensive anchor- Gobert
    6th man - Clarkson

That's just a well balanced team, there's not really an mvp that sticks out.

If we look at game footages from the 60s, we would see that Gobert would utterly destroy that league.

Again, not saying 1 modern guy make a team unbeatable.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

If we look at game footages from the 60s, we would see that Gobert would utterly destroy that league.

Today's centers suck by comparison so I don't know what you're going on about mate. Russell had to face Wilt over and over. There's no center in the league today remotely close to as good as Wilt Chamberlain. You'd have a point with some of the guards, but not the big guys. Rudy Gobert can't even play in the post lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by HBK_Kliq_2 View Post
    mvp of this jazz team, its hard to say really. They are like the 2004 pistons. Billups was seen as the MVP of that team but you can argue Hamilton or Rasheed as well. I would say just based on impact, its between Conley and Gobert.

Defensive anchor- Gobert
    6th man - Clarkson

Ben Wallace was the MVP. The leader of their defense, which was how they were a dominant team.

If he was used correctly, he’d do great. If Gobert grew up back then they’d probably have him posting up and taking running hook shots and stuff so his efficiency would be awful. Bill Russell was by all accounts a great athlete. There was no reason for him not to be efficient (he was efficient enough for his time but I meant no reason for him not to have more modern efficiency) besides the fact that they weren't using him correctly (i.e. lobs).

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    If he was used correctly, he’d do great. If Gobert grew up back then they’d probably have him posting up and taking running hook shots and stuff so his efficiency would be awful. Bill Russell was by all accounts a great athlete. There was no reason for him not to be efficient (he was efficient enough for his time but I meant no reason for him not to have more modern efficiency) besides the fact that they weren't using him correctly (i.e. lobs).
    Agree, that's why I said timetraveled.

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    Ben Wallace was the MVP. The leader of their defense, which was how they were a dominant team.
    Big Ben was also 7th in MVP voting that season and no other Piston got votes. That alone doesnt mean he was their best overall player but then him and KG were the best playoff performers that year too

Speaking of, I just realized Duncan didnt get a single 1st place vote for MVP but bum ass Jermaine getting 2 and Peja getting 1 prevented a unanimous for KG

Donovan Mitchell

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HBK_Kliq_2 View Post

Defensive anchor- Gobert
    6th man - Clarkson

Let's not bring Bojan in to this. Winning despite him

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Today's centers suck by comparison so I don't know what you're going on about mate. Russell had to face Wilt over and over. There's no center in the league today remotely close to as good as Wilt Chamberlain. You'd have a point with some of the guards, but not the big guys. Rudy Gobert can't even play in the post lmao.
    Russell couldn't play in the post