Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Remember when Worthy was #1 option on back-to-back champs vs goat comp?

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    Now way the Bulls beat the Lakers with a healthy Worthy

Now that's a legit debate.

He was hobbled but nearly matched Pippen and otherwise routinely torched Pippen.

Pippen was infact protected in that series - he was still really young and his only playoff record was embarrassing failure... Everyone knew the Magic matchup might give pippen another migraine and be too much pressure to start his first Finals, so it wasn't really a consideration: MJ would be the primary defender on Magic - easy decision...

Not surprisingly, pippen had his best offensive game (game 5) when he didn't have to guard worthy or magic (worthy was out and pippen didn't guard Magic in Games 1 or 5)
    Last edited by 3ball; 02-12-2021 at 06:02 PM.

Local High School Star Chick Stern's Avatar

Default Re: Remember when Worthy was #1 option on back-to-back champs vs goat comp?

Worthy’s worth is underrated because he played next to 2 top five all time players.
    His first step was devastating, played strong defense, and he had big ol Kawhi hands. His game would probably be less effective in today’s game, but he would have developed an outside shot.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

This guy is so desperate to protect Jordan's legacy that he is now tarnishing Magic for being a great passer.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    This guy is so desperate to protect Jordan's legacy that he is now tarnishing Magic for being a great passer.

Kareem is ranked higher than Magic all-time.

People often say Kareem is the goat over MJ

so those were Kareem's teams and he was the anchor of those offenses - even Magic says that repeatedly.

Worthy was simply skilled enough as the best "quick iso" player ever to be valued as the most important scorer and player alongside 2 mount rushmore teammates

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    How is Big Game James overrated?

If you can be the best player and leading scorer amongst Magic, Kareem, Isiah Thomas, Adrian Dantley, and Joe Dumars you ain't overrated. Pippen has never come close to being a "primetime" player. He wilts under pressure. James Worthy reminds me of Kyrie. Supremely skilled and valuable on the highest of stages. Where as Pippen is a Gobert type that could get you more regular season wins, but choke in the playoffs.

Tou probably shouldn’t be listened to at all in a discussion of at least 6 of those players. Leading a series in scoring with about 21-22 ppg isn’t the same as being the best player on the floor. Especially when the leaders of both teams are playmaking point guards.

James was nice but a finals mvp doesn’t make him the best player any more than Tony Parker, Cedric Maxwell, Chauncey Billips, Iggy, or Jojo White.

The best I ever saw Worthy play was losing to the Pistons when Magic was hurt and he had to do it all.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    How is Big Game James overrated?

If you can be the best player and leading scorer amongst Magic, Kareem, Isiah Thomas, Adrian Dantley, and Joe Dumars you ain't overrated. Pippen has never come close to being a "primetime" player. He wilts under pressure. James Worthy reminds me of Kyrie. Supremely skilled and valuable on the highest of stages. Where as Pippen is a Gobert type that could get you more regular season wins, but choke in the playoffs.
    Worthy isn't carrying a team like Gobert or even like Pippen did for a season. He could score and run the floor. Lucky to play in LA with Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Chick Stern View Post
    Worthy’s worth is underrated because he played next to 2 top five all time players.
    His first step was devastating, played strong defense, and he had big ol Kawhi hands. His game would probably be less effective in today’s game, but he would have developed an outside shot.
    He had an outside shot. Not out to 3 but it's not hard to imagine. If he could hit the 3 he'd probably be better today at the 4 and even small ball 5

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gohan View Post
    You are my Kevin ollie

You are on fire, son.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

The best I ever saw Worthy play was losing to the Pistons when Magic was hurt and he had to do it all.

Let's examine the help Worthy had when he gave the 89' Pistons work as a 1-man team (destroyed Rodman)

Without Kareem or Magic, did the 89' Lakers have anyone as good as Ingram, Rondo, or all-defender Green?

So Worthy giving the Pistons work is probably more impressive than lebron going lottery with Ingram, Rondo and Green.. remember that the 89' Lakers didn't have Vlade or Perkins yet (both averaged 17/9 in the Finals)
    Last edited by 3ball; 02-12-2021 at 06:24 PM.

College superstar

If I recall correctly I think MJ said Worthy would be one of the people he would like to have on his seem if he were to handpick a team to compete.

Tou probably shouldn’t be listened to at all in a discussion of at least 6 of those players. Leading a series in scoring with about 21-22 ppg isn’t the same as being the best player on the floor. Especially when the leaders of both teams are playmaking point guards.

James was nice but a finals mvp doesn’t make him the best player any more than Tony Parker, Cedric Maxwell, Chauncey Billips, Iggy, or Jojo White.

Guy had a GOAT Game 7, but Magic should've definitely been FMVP that series, that's easily one of the biggest FMVP robberies in history

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    He had an outside shot. Not out to 3 but it's not hard to imagine. If he could hit the 3 he'd probably be better today at the 4 and even small ball 5

James could do a bit of everything if required:

If he spent more time as the man he’d have shown more of it. He was near done by the time Magic retired. Not old...but not everyone has great longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post

Let's examine the help Worthy had when he gave the 89' Pistons work as a 1-man team (destroyed Rodman)

Without Kareem or Magic, did the 89' Lakers have anyone as good as Ingram, Rondo, or all-defender Green?

So Worthy giving the Pistons work is probably more impressive than lebron going lottery with Ingram, Rondo and Green.. remember that the 89' Lakers didn't have Vlade or Perkins yet (both averaged 17/9 in the Finals)

This post will be completely avoided

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    This post will be completely avoided

Why wouldn’t it be? You think a comparison between like 2 and a half games losing a series vs an entire season is something that merits discussion?

Thats just a weirdo line of thinking to begin with.

James could do a bit of everything if required:

If he spent more time as the man he’d have shown more of it. He was near done by the time Magic retired. Not old...but not everyone has great longevity.
    He might have but without Magic getting him the ball how effective would he have been?