Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Im bored. Help me out and put these 6 rarely compared point guards in order.

The conditions here are that the players are in peak healthy form and in their right head.

If you’re looking for defensive pgs who will facilitate, then payton, rondo and billups fit the bill.

But if we’re looking for a pg in 2021, kyrie in his right mind, that will play defense and his peak offensive arsenal to me is the beat pg to pick up.

Default Re: Im bored. Help me out and put these 6 rarely compared point guards in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Gudo View Post
    The conditions here are that the players are in peak healthy form and in their right head.

If you’re looking for defensive pgs who will facilitate, then payton, rondo and billups fit the bill.

But if we’re looking for a pg in 2021, kyrie in his right mind, that will play defense and his peak offensive arsenal to me is the beat pg to pick up.
    I will still pick prime Deron Williams over Kyrie, Parker, Billups & Rondo.

People forgot his Utah Jazz days. And even with the Nets before KG and Pierce arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Tony Parker
    Glove
    Chauncey
    Rondo
    Kyrie
    Deron Williams
    *Of all these guards I love Rondo his nail it mentality in the playoffs
    But of all the guards listed Deron Williams was my all time fav of these guys.. Coming out of Illinois he was more of a shooter and
    molded himself into a great PG under Sloan. (He was a great kick passer , challenged the low block with slashing , and kept
    defenses more honest , with his walk down the court and pulled up with a top of the key jumper. (It was a shame he left Utah)
    He is my second favorite point guard next to Jason Kidd who's my favorite player ever.

Not ranking Payton because I wasn't around for him. I started following the NBA around '02, and I never remember being impressed with him. When I watch old games, I'm not impressed with him either. But I wasn't there when he was defending Jordan in the Finals etc.

1. Kyrie
    2. Chauncey
    3. Rondo
    4. Parker
    5. Deron

Kyrie is the AI of this era. Most talented little man of his era. Genius with the ball in his hands. Attitude and personality problems that correspond with the age in which he's playing. Needs a very specific team around him or there will be issues.

Chauncey has much better character than Kyrie, but Kyrie is a wizard and Chauncey a mere mortal. Chauncey is clutch but so is Kyrie so the difference in intangibles is lessened.

Rondo and Parker- I take Rondo in a vacuum, but Parker is the better choice for many teams. If you already have a team captain / defensive leader type (Duncan, Draymond), or a good coach with a strong personality (Pop, Carlisle), Parker is the better call. But Rondo's player-coach ability is huge, in a league today where it's hard to find leadership, where most players and coaches are uncomfortable holding guys to account.

Deron is the worst. Didn't like him when he was good. Couldn't get along with a HOF coach, took stupid 3s, fell off a cliff as soon as he was given the reins of a team.

The fact that no one is ranking the obvious best player on the list first (Payton) is hilarious. ISH is full of the absolute dumbest people on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP View Post
    Sure.
    Parker
    Billups
    Payton
    Kyrie
    Rondo
    Deron
    Details:
    Parker is super clutch, I trust this guy to take a last second shot for my squad any time. A weiner.

Billups. 3 point gunner and elite floor general. Not as gifted as the others but has the entangibles.

Payton. Elite d, super athletic. Doesnt have the three point consistency but has everything else and is a floor general avg 20+, 10a+ in his prime

Kyrie is the most gifted offensively, has a clutch gene but has never been a great floor general and has some durability issues

Rondo. What I said about Kyrie but the floor general version. Gifted floor general, never been a great shooter. Durability issues.

Deron. Very good all around game and solid floor general. Didn't win any titles so he's last.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

If we're talking for a playoff run with all these guys at their peaks it's honestly too close to call. Kyrie, Tony Parker, and D-Will have the highest offensive potential. Rondo, Payton, and Billups are better floor generals and defenders though. It's pretty much impossible to rank them. Nets D-Will left a sour taste in my mouth though. He straight up quit. If I had to choose any of these guys for the long term to be on my franchise it would be Gary Payton.

When I look at the splits though, Gary Payton was surprisingly efficient in an era it was hard to be. He's in the positive heavily in the 90's playoffs. Although it's also shown that Shawn Kemp and Nate McMillan were the best defenders on the Sonics. Don't know how he won DPOY when he wasn't even the best defender on his squad.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    When I look at the splits though, Gary Payton was surprisingly efficient in an era it was hard to be. He's in the positive heavily in the 90's playoffs. Although it's also shown that Shawn Kemp and Nate McMillan were the best defenders on the Sonics. Don't know how he won DPOY when he wasn't even the best defender on his squad.
    He was the best on his squad. Then Nate. Kemp was effective but too foul prone and aggressive.

Nate is an underrated defender and his ability to press people helped when teams would try to get the ball away from Payton’s man to bring it up but GP was the stopper. He totally removed some stars from games at times.

He terrorized Tim Hardaway now and then. Not always of course...but he could personally change a star guards approach.

Am I missing why Payton isn't running away with this?
    He's the best player here and can jack up 3's if this what it's based on.
    Last edited by L.Kizzle; 01-15-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    He was the best on his squad. Then Nate. Kemp was effective but too foul prone and aggressive.

Nate is an underrated defender and his ability to press people helped when teams would try to get the ball away from Payton’s man to bring it up but GP was the stopper. He totally removed some stars from games at times.

He terrorized Tim Hardaway now and then. Not always of course...but he could personally change a star guards approach.
    I see what you're saying GP had to guard the best guy every time so his metrics are probably affected by that.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    The fact that no one is ranking the obvious best player on the list first (Payton) is hilarious. ISH is full of the absolute dumbest people on earth.
    And you've got 35,000 posts arguing with them.

Of course, the commie rrr3 cant deal with it. His robotic mind can't comprehend non-systemic opinions. A slave to Marx.

Kyrie
    TP
    Payton
    Billups
    Rajon
    Deron

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP View Post
    Of course, the commie rrr3 cant deal with it. His robotic mind can't comprehend non-systemic opinions. A slave to Marx.
    Lol