Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation 適yrie is entering his Stephon Marbury phase" - Anonymous Agent

NetsDaily has a some excerpts from The Athletic survey of anonymous agents. In regards to the Nets title chances this season, their feelings were skeptical, due to injurie concerns and personality mixes, chiefly with Kyrie Irving. Here are a few quotes:

Typical of the responses was this: “I think KD, if he’s healthy, is the best offensive player, and I buy Nash. But I give Kyrie two months before he’s a malcontent. So, no.” [...]

“No. No. Hell no. You’re banking on the highest level of volatility. It’s an impossibility. Kevin Durant is probably the best player in the NBA but Kyrie Irving is a total loose cannon and he’s not doing anything to show us anything but that right now. That’s going to be difficult. I hate to comment on people I don’t really know, but Kyrie is entering his Stephon Marbury phase. You can see it. It’s there. Basketball is not a priority for him.”
    And this from John Hollinger:

The Nets have Kevin Durant recovering from an Achilles injury, Kyrie Irving recovering from a shoulder injury, and 15 other players recovering from spending a year with Kyrie Irving.” ��

Ouch. Suffice to say, Kyrie has accumulated a lot of baggage at this point from high point after the 2016 Finals. Being skeptical of the team’s chances is rightfully justified given we have no idea what KD will look like post-injury or what the team will look like to end the season. Still, thought those quotes from Kyrie were kind of jarring...
    https://www.netsdaily.com/2020/10/22...hances-in-2021

He is who we knew he was

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Default Re: 適yrie is entering his Stephon Marbury phase" - Anonymous Agent

LeBron beat a 73 win team with the biggest cancer of all time as his 2nd option.

That happened

LeCarry

LeShouldererOfBurdens

LeCrossBearer

Quote Originally Posted by LAmbruh View Post
    Yeah but you know he is also a killer talent and he actually does have the ability to hunker down and focus long enough to win a title as the main sidekick.

So you might get your feelings hurt this season if he plays well.

Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    Yeah but you know he is also a killer talent and he actually does have the ability to hunker down and focus long enough to win a title as the main sidekick.

So you might get your feelings hurt this season if he plays well.
    Assuming he doesn't get injured?

Assuming he doesn't have a mid-life crisis and quit on some civil justice stunt?

Assuming he doesn't cause turmoil upon another playoff team turning them into a disaster?

I'm DYING to see the new updated version of Kyrie Irving next season

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    LeBron beat a 73 win team with the biggest cancer of all time as his 2nd option.

That happened
    Damn 29 pts a game and the finals clinching shot. Yeah what a cancer he was

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Sure--but when he had LeBron as the team leader. Who is Brooklyn's leader? We know it certainly isn't KD. He may be the best player in 21' but he doesn't even want to be a leader, as he has admitted publicly (one reason he went to GS, where they had Curry and Green).

We saw what happened in Boston and Brooklyn. Each time he left due to injury or changing teams, the team that "lost" him improved considerably each time (so BOS 18', 19', 20' and BKN 20'--4 data points).

His entire career is defined by one series during the Obama administration for a reason.

Banned

This guy is like a wildfire. If controlled, it is possible for him to be beneficial. But if left to his own devices, he just destroys everything in his path.
    And LeBron was the only one who was able to control him. Which is a testament to LeBron's greatness and leadership abilities.

I see that situation playing out like the Clips this year. Neither one of the best players galvanizes the locker room so I don't know who else on the team does that. The comment about them not having a true head coach after hiring Nash makes me question how much control he'll have next year. Nash and Kyrie have conflicting styles and mentalities, as the former was a true floor general while Kyrie is more of a scoring weapon you deploy but needs to be reigned in by strong oncourt leadership.

They'll be fun to watch but Kyrie is so mercurial I wouldn't place any bets.

Very good NBA starter

That brooklyn team needs a leader. Durant is more likeable to locker rooms even if he's inconsistent with the media.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoatest View Post
    This guy is like a wildfire. If controlled, it is possible for him to be beneficial. But if left to his own devices, he just destroys everything in his path.
    And LeBron was the only one who was able to control him. Which is a testament to LeBron's greatness and leadership abilities.
    That’s a great analogy for Kyrie. A out of control wildfire. Only LeFirefighter with his massive hose could contain him

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    His entire career is defined by one series during the Obama administration for a reason.
    It really is.

I got people in real life telling me that Kyrie could've been FMVP in 2016.

I just look at them like this...

I kinda disagree with this agent but this next season will either prove me wrong or not. I think Kyrie obviously has a huge ego about how "elite" he is and will start causing trouble if he's not playing with someone who he thinks is about as good as he is. I definitely he might find that respect with Durant. What could hurt that dynamic is Durant mentally is a weak ass Beta instead of an Alpha...luckily his level of play is Alpha level....time will tell I suppose

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog View Post
    I kinda disagree with this agent but this next season will either prove me wrong or not. I think Kyrie obviously has a huge ego about how "elite" he is and will start causing trouble if he's not playing with someone who he thinks is about as good as he is. I definitely he might find that respect with Durant. What could hurt that dynamic is Durant mentally is a weak ass Beta instead of an Alpha...luckily his level of play is Alpha level....time will tell I suppose
    Honestly the “Nets” and “Kyrie” seem like two different things no unity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    Sure--but when he had LeBron as the team leader. Who is Brooklyn's leader? We know it certainly isn't KD. He may be the best player in 21' but he doesn't even want to be a leader, as he has admitted publicly (one reason he went to GS, where they had Curry and Green).

We saw what happened in Boston and Brooklyn. Each time he left due to injury or changing teams, the team that "lost" him improved considerably each time (so BOS 18', 19', 20' and BKN 20'--4 data points).

You can never take 2016 anyway from Kyrie, he played like a legitimate superstar those last 5 games of the Finals, and had another monster scoring series in the '17 Finals too. But since then? He's been a huge disappointment. Flamed out in spectacular fashion in Boston, and is literally incapable of staying on the court. We'll see if he can get his shit together this season