Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Should the Celtics pursue Giannis, or Joel Embiid??

I could get behind Simmons. We need the size and he'd flourish in a role where he's not the guy who has to score. Plus I don't have to see Marcus Smart bringing the goddamn ball up anymore.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller View Post
    Of course the Celtics have been playinh for the future, Brown was 20 years old in that 2017 team and Tatum was 20 on the 2018 team. Our best players are young af
    Giannis is less than 23 months older than Brown so they wouldn't be getting THAT much older.

Also, ideally wouldn't you want to pair Tatum with an interior player rather than another perimeter guy?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPlayer View Post
    Giannis is less than 23 months older than Brown so they wouldn't be getting THAT much older.

Also, ideally wouldn't you want to pair Tatum with an interior player rather than another perimeter guy?
    Giannis plays like a big and Brad believes in positionless basketball

His ideal lineup would have Giannis at center with Tatum and Brown at the forward positions

Brown & Tatum are both young, but that shit doesn't last forever. Brown will be 24 this month. Tatum 23 in March. You guys think they have another 7 years to keep peaking? Eh, they will largely be who they are within the next 2 years. And they're both going to be getting enough money and playing well enough that it means they won't get any high value draft picks and they won't be getting any major free agents. Their only hope to get truly better at this point is via trade... Hayward & Kemba. AND DAMN DOES TIME FLY if Hayward only has one more year left on his deal! Holy shit **** my ****ing life! It seems like just yesterday he and Kyrie got introduced on the Celtics.

Anyways... this Celtics roster as currently constructed has precisely 2 more seasons to get it done otherwise it will need to be blown up and they should start considering major trades right now. Those two guys don't have a decade of getting better imo. Two more years, that's when you'll know for sure where you're at with them being the two core pieces. I personally do not think those two guys will be good enough to be your main two and it result in a championship, but I've been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post
    Brown & Tatum are both young, but that shit doesn't last forever. Brown will be 24 this month. Tatum 23 in March. You guys think they have another 7 years to keep peaking? Eh, they will largely be who they are within the next 2 years. And they're both going to be getting enough money and playing well enough that it means they won't get any high value draft picks and they won't be getting any major free agents. Their only hope to get truly better at this point is via trade... Hayward & Kemba. AND DAMN DOES TIME FLY if Hayward only has one more year left on his deal! Holy shit **** my ****ing life! It seems like just yesterday he and Kyrie got introduced on the Celtics.

Anyways... this Celtics roster as currently constructed has precisely 2 more seasons to get it done otherwise it will need to be blown up and they should start considering major trades right now. Those two guys don't have a decade of getting better imo. Two more years, that's when you'll know for sure where you're at with them being the two core pieces.
    I mean, if Tatum’s prime is a 26 10 6 player and brown a 23 8 2 I would be very happy

Hayward is either walking right now (if he opts out) or getting traded. His role in this team has been replaced with Browns and Tatums emergence in these playoffs

Brown is already extended and if Danny has any brains in his head, he'll ink Tatum's rookie max extension before next season is over.

There's no way the carcass of Gordon Hayward passes on this last year. He's 30 years old with a ruined ankle and this is the last $30+ million check he'll ever see. Plus Stevens has a massive blind spot where he's concerned.

I mean, if Tatum’s prime is a 26 10 6 player and brown a 23 8 2 I would be very happy

Hayward is either walking right now (if he opts out) or getting traded. His role in this team has been replaced with Browns and Tatums emergence in these playoffs
    Right and those are solid numbers for two players for sure, they're both going to be NBA players for a long time, but those aren't championship core pieces, all I'm saying.

I guess we'll see what happens with the cap but I'm skeptical that Hayward will opt out because it's probable that his salary for next season will be violently reduced if he does due to a constricting salary cap. I mean, maybe if he's worried about injury he'll accept that in place of a long term deal, but that wouldn't help the Celtics.

Do you think the Celtics will get a large haul for a 1 year Gordon Hayward rental who has been wrought with injuries for years? I'm skeptical.

Right and those are solid numbers for two players for sure, they're both going to be NBA players for a long time, but those aren't championship core pieces, all I'm saying.

I guess we'll see what happens with the cap but I'm skeptical that Hayward will opt out because it's probable that his salary for next season will be violently reduced if he does due to a constricting salary cap. I mean, maybe if he's worried about injury he'll accept that in place of along term deal, but that wouldn't help the Celtics.

Do you think the Celtics will get a large haul for a 1 year Gordon Hayward rental who has been wrought with injuries for years? I'm skeptical.
    Wait those aren’t championship core pieces? A guy averaging 26 10 6 with good defense and a 23 8 2 aren’t championship pieces?

Lmao what kind shit are you smoking

Wait those aren’t championship core pieces? A guy averaging 26 10 6 with good defense and a 23 8 2 aren’t championship pieces?

Lmao what kind shit are you smoking
    When they're making deals that result in them being your TWO MAIN PIECES, no, they definitely are not.

Mark my words here and now... if Jaylen Brown & Jayson Tatum are your two best players for the next 10 years, the Celtics will not get a title during that time frame.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPlayer View Post
    I get wanting Brown over Giannis for the long term. I don't think I agree, but at least I get the logic.

However, it also feels like Boston has been playing for the future for a LONG TIME now, and if you have a chance to bring in a true superstar, it's way past time to jump on that. Cash in the chips. Trade the leftover picks for some bench upgrades.

This is all assuming that Giannis would agree to an extension, of course.
    Thing is this core has already made the conference finals twice and been competitive in it (not counting the IT year, no Tatum and Brown wasn't a major contributor). It's not like they aren't making serious runs at the Finals. Sooner or later (IMO, sooner) they are going to break through. We are most defintely seeing positive results. There are are only 2 teams that have done better this season. Optimism is justified.

At this point where the heat has shown what could be done with a lineup that is not exactly loaded, I dont think the Cs need to acquire anymore superstars and to have the chemistry be changed again. Additional bigs would be great if we can add them. I just thinj this is more of a coaching issue.

When they're making deals that result in them being your TWO MAIN PIECES, no, they definitely are not.

Mark my words here and now... if Jaylen Brown & Jayson Tatum are your two best players for the next 10 years, the Celtics will not get a title during that time frame.
    Tatum is definitely a championship leading player. How many players peak at 23? You’re bugging

Brown on the other hand can be a great 2nd option If he keeps improving. You’re looking at two guys who could put 25+ ppg 8+ reb with one of them being a great passer. What we need is a third player who could defend inside, not to replace one of them

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Thing is this core has already made the conference finals twice and been competitive in it (not counting the IT year, no Tatum and Brown wasn't a major contributor). It's not like they aren't making serious runs at the Finals. Sooner or later (IMO, sooner) they are going to break through. We are most defintely seeing positive results. There are are only 2 teams that have done better this season. Optimism is justified.
    I get "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Celtics could stand pat and still most likely have a very good team for the foreseeable future.

That said, you still have to consider opportunities to upgrade talent, should they present themselves.

Imagine thinking you are guaranteed finals appearances because youre "knocking on the door".

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Derka View Post
    I could get behind Simmons. We need the size and he'd flourish in a role where he's not the guy who has to score. Plus I don't have to see Marcus Smart bringing the goddamn ball up anymore.
    Hahah Simmons ain’t going to help the Celtics. The guy still can not shoot....will make it 4 vs 5 .... Oh but heck, I hope Ainge gets him.....as I am no fan of the Celtics. Btw, 76’ers needs to get rid of Simmons if they want to win.