Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Jokic Stan

Default Re: AD is playing like this era's Hakeem

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound View Post
    If Hakeem teamed up with Lebron how many rings? A.D has Lebron so its easier to win. Hakeem won with less help.
    If Hakeem teamed up with 35 year old Lebron? Idk how many rings, probably not many.

Hakeem's TEAM competition in 94/95 isn't that impressive to me. I think 94-99 is the worst time frame for modern NBA ball (3 point line). So yeah he won with less, but also competed against less.

But, I noticed you simply focused on WINNING even though this is an individual comparison. Winning is important, but is ultimately a side-factor for 1 on 1 comparisons. Who would you compare AD to in the modern era besides Hakeem? I want to also say KG...but AD's scoring is just so much better than KG's.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk View Post
    If Hakeem teamed up with 35 year old Lebron? Idk how many rings, probably not many.

Hakeem's TEAM competition in 94/95 isn't that impressive to me. I think 94-99 is the worst time frame for modern NBA ball (3 point line). So yeah he won with less, but also competed against less.

But, I noticed you simply focused on WINNING even though this is an individual comparison. Winning is important, but is ultimately a side-factor for 1 on 1 comparisons. Who would you compare AD to in the modern era besides Hakeem? I want to also say KG...but AD's scoring is just so much better than KG's.
    Hakeem would have developed more range in this era aswell (he could hit 15 ft face up jumpers in his era). Him and McHale where the most skilled 6´10 and over players ever post move and foot work wise . Hakeem was also a better 1 on 1 defender, rim protector, floor defender and team defender than A.D aswell. KG was long and athletic but very light he couldn't battle in the post offenisvely like other great centers and powerforwards. Don't get me wrong A.D is a top 5 player today but Hakeem was the top 1,2 and 3 player in his era.
    Last edited by Round Mound; 09-21-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gileraracer View Post
    LAs most important player by far
    this true right here

Jokic Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound View Post
    Hakeem would have developed more range in this era aswell (he could hit 15 ft face up jumpers in his era). Him and McHale where the most skilled 6´10 and over players ever post move and foot work wise . Hakeem was also a better 1 on 1 defender, rim protector, floor defender and team defender than A.D aswell. KG was long and athletic but very light he couldn't battle in the post offenisvely like other great centers and powerforwards. Don't get me wrong A.D is a top 5 player today but Hakeem was the top 1,2 and 3 player in his era.
    I'm not saying AD is as "good" as Hakeem. I think they are close enough, but Hakeem is ahead. I think you are relying on hindsight a little bit, but I understand where you are coming from. AD needs more time to prove himself on an all-time level with Hakeem.

But...if AD wins a ring/FMVP with a run of 29/11/4/1/1.4 with 65.4 TS%, 31.6 PER, 9.5 BPM, and 130 ORTG/105 DRTG splits? That's easily "Hakeem" level. To me AD has clearly been the BEST playoff performer this year.

Just let those advanced stats sink in.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

I'm not saying AD is as "good" as Hakeem. I think they are close enough, but Hakeem is ahead. I think you are relying on hindsight a little bit, but I understand where you are coming from. AD needs more time to prove himself on an all-time level with Hakeem.

But...if AD wins a ring/FMVP with a run of 29/11/4/1/1.4 with 65.4 TS%, 31.6 PER, 9.5 BPM, and 130 ORTG/105 DRTG splits? That's easily "Hakeem" level. To me AD has clearly been the BEST playoff performer this year.

Just let those advanced stats sink in.
    It was a different era when Hakeem played the game was more rough, more contact allowed while you play defense, players had post game, back to the basket game, there where more contested shots, more contested rebounds etc. I'll give you that A.D is the best bigman today though but his competition is not close to Hakeem's at the center position. Scoring wise A.D is the best and most dynamic center today though.

Since it's a one on one comparison then perhaps we should be focusing on their individual positional competition then? Hakeem between 94 and 95 took out Ewing, Robinson and Shaq as his immediate positional rivals. That was literally the cream of 90s centers that he ( and his team) beat with Hakeem getting the better of every matchup( it wasnt a situation where he may have been outplayed by one of them but his team was better and still managed to win). The only center of note AD played on this playoff run is Jokic. Mind the fact that Hakeem was the leader of the team as well as its best player. AD is beasting right now but the leadership of the team, its engine, is still Lebron. It's just very different situations here.

KG probably is a better comparison although as you said, AD is a better scorer. Or Robinson who has already been mentioned. Perhaps a fusion of the two, a worse defensive version of peak David Robinson with more range, or a more dominant scoring KG. Those to me are more apt comparisons than Hakeem imho, especially considering that Robinson didn't win until Duncan took over as best player and KG needed Pierce and Allen. Hakeems first title came without another all-star and his second came with a past prime Drexler. AD hasnt proven he can carry a team to that extent. Maybe this experience has elevated him to that point bit we wont know that until Lebron is gone.

^ you also talk about relative competition but was it really some great feat beating the Blazers and Rockets the past month? These were good but flawed teams, led by stars ( Lillard, Westbrook, Harden) with reputations for falling short in the playoffs. This Denver team with Jokic and Murray is good but it's not like they're some all time team. Hakeem was winning titles beating the Jazz, Suns, Knicks, Spurs, Magic who also had some flaws but were led by some big name players( Malone/Stockton, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson/Rodman, Shaq/Penny). Now guys like Ewing, Malone/Stockton in particular had a reputation for falling short come playoff time but again, how is that different from your Lillard and Westbrook types? I dont see where the competition angle favors AD, especially when Hakeem wasn't rolling with anyone close to even current Lebron for his chips.

Jokic Stan

First Finals Game For AD.

34/9/5 with 3 blocks and ONLY 1 turnover...this guy is easily an all-time big man talent. I mean, he is EXTREMELY efficient scoring the ball, doesn't turn the ball over, and plays GREAT defense.

Jokic Stan

AD is too good if he can shoot like this. He has been on a hot shooting streak literally since the second game of the playoffs.

Made this thread like 6 weeks ago and it still rings true.