Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Give me 2 minutes of your time. Watch these plays from Kemp in 94.

I got Zion vibes watching that for sure

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal23 View Post
    I got Zion vibes watching that for sure
    Some of the catch-and-score stuff is similar

But his footwork is WAY more polished than Zions

Zion plays more bully-ball with a completely different physique

Zion could never be a Kobe/Kawhi/MJ type of player or guard, but kemp would be in today's game.. I can't think of anyone that would benefit MORE than Kemp from growing up in this era

He'd be a 6'9" Jordan/Kawhi/Kobe type
    Last edited by 3ball; 05-31-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Where were you going with this, Blaze? I see some shades of a few players. Yes a bit of Lebron( a slower version in the open court). Some Zion, the quick jump/2nd jump and the alley-oop target but more finesse( I dont think Kemp got quite as much air but hes taller and longer). Were you trying to go to the obvious picks or somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Where were you going with this, Blaze? I see some shades of a few players. Yes a bit of Lebron( a slower version in the open court). Some Zion, the quick jump/2nd jump and the alley-oop target but more finesse( I dont think Kemp got quite as much air but hes taller and longer). Were you trying to go to the obvious picks or somewhere else?
    Yes I was also curious where Kblaze was going and was anticipating reading something from him

Kemp was always an interesting case.. kblaze hung the pinata up there and then left it

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    I've said in previous posts that Kemp would literally be the goat if he played in this era because he'd be a full-fledged GUARD...

And not a over-dribbly point guard that has lower team ceilings... A scoring guard like Kobe, MJ or Kawhi... But possibly better than all of them.. he was a guard that was born in the wrong era... He even has a guard-looking jumper (not a high release point like a big)

Btw, he looks like mj to me out there
    Everything looks like MJ to you.

I'd honestly rather here what Kblaze thinks.

Shawn Kemp as a guard sounds like I don't know what? In small ball era they'd move him to the two? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Everything looks like MJ to you.
    Give Kemp a live dribble ability like Doncic or Ingram or Lebron or Durant

:

GOAT

He's a better athlete than everyone except maybe lebron, but Kemp's physique is more optimal than lebron's

Also Kemp was strong as an ox... Stronger and bigger bone structure than lebron... He's slender but defenders bounce off him inside and he never looks off-balance - some of kblaze's highlights show ridiculously-contested paint shots look like child's play - again, defenders literally bouncing off him.. everything was too easy for him.. dominated rodman without breaking a sweat..

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

kemp looks like a super dray.

holy shit @ 1:35

His physique is a guard physiqueband movements

the reason he looks so flashy at 6'9" is because that's guard coordination with big man size

He just didn't have the tiny nuances with his dribble (footwork cadence with a live dribble) that Doncic has, so he didn't dribble like Doncic or today's ball-handlers

The more I think about it, he's like a zion with more polished inside game and guard physique
    Last edited by 3ball; 06-01-2020 at 09:04 PM.

The way I see the Pelicans deploying Zion is probably how a team would use Kemp I guess. In todays game he'd probably line up at the 5 but really, it's all semantics at this point. He can create mismatch problems at either big man spot and defend either one, especially since todays bigs arent so much pounding the rock down low like the 80s and 90s. On offense he's too mobile and active for most bigs. Say what you want about the evolution of the game or change in player skillsets but while alot of bigs are now stretch 4s and 5s, ain't too many doing the coast to coast thing like that, finishing with that kind of finesse, or able to start at the 3 point line and maneuvers their way to the rim looking like a small forward.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 06-01-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post

holy shit @ 1:35
    Not bad for a '90s car mechanic'.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    The way I see the Pelicans deploying Zion is probably how a team would use Kemp I guess. In todays game he'd probably line up at the 5 but really, it's all semantics at this point. He can create mismatch problems at either big man spot and defend either one, especially since todays bigs arent so much pounding the rock down low like the 80s and 90s. On offense he's too mobile and active for most bigs. Say what you want about the evolution of the game or change in player skillsets but while alot of bigs are now stretch 4s and 5s, ain't too many doing the coast to coast thing like that, finishing with that kind of finesse, or able to start at the 3 point line and maneuvers their way to the rim looking like a small forward.
    Anyone in today's game with Kemp's agility and physique handles the ball... the idea that he would play center is preposterous - even if you took 94' Kemp as is, no coach would put agility like that at the 5 today, especially at the lower ranks (HS) where every coach would have him shooting threes and handling the ball... Only the most stick figure dudes or massive dudes play center today.. kemp wouldn't be one of them

the reason he looks so flashy at 6'9" is because that's guard coordination with big man size

Kemp would've been a guard in today's game because the dribbling movements get hard-wired in as a youngster, so he'd look fluid at a guard level (which he almost already did)

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    Anyone in today's game with Kemp's agility and physique handles the ball... the idea that he would play center is preposterous - even if you took 94' Kemp as is, no coach would put agility like that at the 5 today, especially at the lower ranks (HS) where every coach would have him shooting threes and handling the ball... Only the most stick figure dudes or massive dudes play center today.. kemp wouldn't be one of them

Kemp would've been a guard in today's game because the dribbling movements get hard-wired in as a youngster, so he'd look fluid at a guard level (which he almost already did)
    ^^^ the reason today's game has more big guys handling the rock is because anyone with Kemp's agility is automatically asked to handle the ball from junior high, whereas bigs were asked to play inside back in the day

You're an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    The way he moves, he reminds me of Kawhi Leonard. He's not as good as Leonard, obviously, but they have similar motions. Kind of a smoothness and glide to their games, but also a simplicity - like on some of those put backs - it's very Spurs-esque or Duncan-esque with no wasted movement - straight to the point.

But then on other plays (that baseline dunk) he looks like Dr. J, which no modern star really looks like anymore.
    i thought the same thing within seconds of watching the video. his motion is very much like kawhi's.