NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Portable Air Conditioners

Are they worth it? Thinking of getting one for my 165 square foot room. Heard some mixed reviews about them, anyone have one? Do they work?

Default Re: Portable Air Conditioners

Are you talking about a window unit? If so yeah they work well enough for one room and they have some more energy efficient ones than they used to. If you're talking about the tiny ones where you fill them with water no those aren't very good at all even for smaller rooms.

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

They work pretty good as long as you can get the vent hose outside somewhere. I know a rancher who uses one in his field office, works good even in the 90s. His office is probably less than 300 sq ft though.

I bought several evaporative coolers and portable air conditioners for my garage a few years back on Amazon warehouse deals back when you could get an almost new $500 portable air conditioner for like $70-$80, or an almost new $300 portable evaporative cooler for like $40-$50, during the winter time. Those days are long over. I still have like 4 evaporative coolers and 3 portable air conditioners I almost never use lol. The portable air conditioners work good. The evaporative coolers are almost worthless unless you are directly in front of them.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Are they worth it? Thinking of getting one for my 165 square foot room. Heard some mixed reviews about them, anyone have one? Do they work?
    that small of space - crack a window.

Lmao just get a refrigerated van and make it your room

Why do you come here with the most random questions lol?

It's not like anyone here is going to give you information you'll use versus even corrupt consumer reports. Same for the IRS question you asked yesterday.

But since i've bothered to respond, here it goes:

Portable ACs are good if you live in a dry climate, otherwise make sure it has an automatic evaporator cycle to get rid of the moisture from the condensation/high pressure pipes, otherwise places like here, North Carolina you'll have to empty tanks every 4-5 hours in the summer months

Must be nice needing AC by May already. I don't think the small ones are any good, there's a reason professional places only have the ones that go in windows or central AC

Saw a basketball once

I have one in my living room. I don't have any regular windows in that room, so I can't get a regular window unit. I had to vent the exhaust hose out of some French doors that open up to a balcony. The air conditioner isn't the best thing in the world, but it's better than having nothing. It's loud, which is annoying.