Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Default Re: Lukaball shackled Porzingis......

Winning is all that matters... if the points come from Luka or Porzingis, it doesn't matter as long ad there is a W.

I'm fine with Luka being a ball hog...as long as Dallas is winning games

Historically, ballhogging doesnt win titles

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Luka racks up a shit load of assists...so he is getting others involved

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    Luka racks up a shit load of assists...so he is getting others involved
    Branball 2.0

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP
    Historically, ballhogging doesnt win titles
    Historically, teams like this Mavericks team don't have the best offense in the league.

If we judge on how the team did so far with Luka...one could nitpick and say he takes too many bad 3's, complains to the refs too much, and holds the ball a bit too long...and I'd agree with all of that actually.

However, the team is greatly exceeding expectations and has the best offense in the NBA. Kind of hard to say much when those are the results.

What always confuses me about this "ballhogging" or "Lebron Ball" stuff...is that the problem on those teams is almost always the defense.

Just think for a moment...take some time and logically think. Do you really think the problem on the Mavs in terms of contending is the offense? Or do you think it might be the 15th ranked defense that allows too much perimeter penetration and struggles with size at times?

Like, I get the narrative, but at some point when a team is elite offensively...and the defense is average...it really isn't that hard of an equation to figure out.

Not sure why people struggle with this. The 04 Mavs are a great example. Absolutely loaded offensive team...and what do you know...they had the best offense in the league...one of the best ever in relation to the rest of the league.

But, they had a shit defense. And that is almost never going to win. It just isn't that complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Historically, teams like this Mavericks team don't have the best offense in the league.

If we judge on how the team did so far with Luka...one could nitpick and say he takes too many bad 3's, complains to the refs too much, and holds the ball a bit too long...and I'd agree with all of that actually.

However, the team is greatly exceeding expectations and has the best offense in the NBA. Kind of hard to say much when those are the results.

What always confuses me about this "ballhogging" or "Lebron Ball" stuff...is that the problem on those teams is almost always the defense.

Just think for a moment...take some time and logically think. Do you really think the problem on the Mavs in terms of contending is the offense? Or do you think it might be the 15th ranked defense that allows too much perimeter penetration and struggles with size at times?

Like, I get the narrative, but at some point when a team is elite offensively...and the defense is average...it really isn't that hard of an equation to figure out.

Not sure why people struggle with this. The 04 Mavs are a great example. Absolutely loaded offensive team...and what do you know...they had the best offense in the league...one of the best ever in relation to the rest of the league.

But, they had a shit defense. And that is almost never going to win. It just isn't that complicated.
    2 words: regular season

2 words: regular season
    Nah, because the offenses you guys rail against are also good in the playoffs most of the time.

And an average or poor defense usually struggles more in the playoffs as well.

Just don't want to have a fair view of reality...need to hold onto an agenda regardless of what is actually happening.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 12-21-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Nah, because the offenses you guys rail against are also good in the playoffs most of the time.

And an average or poor defense usually struggles more in the playoffs as well.

Just don't want to have a fair view of reality...need to hold onto an agenda regardless of what is actually happening.
    what agenda? that ball hogging doesn't win titles?

it's just a historical observation, numbnuts

what agenda? that ball hogging doesn't win titles?

it's just a historical observation, numbnuts
    What years are you referencing?

What years are you referencing?
    too many to mention here without taking a substantial amount of time to post research

just research it

see 2014 Finals for one example

2007 finals for another

Bulls vs Pistons... on and on

see 2014 Finals for one example

2007 finals for another

Bulls vs Pistons... on and on
    In 2014...the Heat got torched to the tune of 121 points per 100...that was a far bigger problem than the offense. LOL...that is your go-to example? Even if the Heat had scored at a historically good rate in the Finals...they still lose.

2007? You really think the problem was the style of play? It wasn't that Lebron had flaws in his game and that his teammates weren't championship caliber? In no basketball universe is a team like the 07 Cavs supposed to beat the 07 Spurs. Absurd.

You see my point? You get forced into using reality and the two examples you list so far absolutely don't hold up.

What other examples?

Oh, saw you added Bulls/Pistons from late 80's...I don't know...I could see that argument, but certainly most of those years the Bulls just weren't ready yet. You are inferring that the style is what caused them to lose, but I'd argue that Jordan playing like he did early on was in large part dictated by the teams he had around him. Pippen, for example, really took until 90 to get good enough to win with imo.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 12-21-2019 at 08:42 AM.

In 2014...the Heat got torched to the tune of 121 points per 100...that was a far bigger problem than the offense. LOL...that is your go-to example? Even if the Heat had scored at a historically good rate in the Finals...they still lose.

2007? You really think the problem was the style of play? It wasn't that Lebron had flaws in his game and that his teammates weren't championship caliber? In no basketball universe is a team like the 07 Cavs supposed to beat the 07 Spurs. Absurd.

You see my point? You get forced into using reality and the two examples you list so far absolutely don't hold up.

What other examples?

Oh, saw you added Bulls/Pistons from late 80's...I don't know...I could see that argument, but certainly most of those years the Bulls just weren't ready yet. You are inferring that the style is what caused them to lose, but I'd argue that Jordan playing like he did early on was in large part dictated by the teams he had around him. Pippen, for example, really took until 90 to get good enough to win with imo.
    exactly. Mavs may just not be ready yet. But they may be ready. Time will tell. They are an outside contender in my eyes. Top 4 in the west.

Those LeBron teams were one dimensional regular season successes. Thats the parallel. Anyways whatever. Good luck. I really dont give a shit.

Mavs currently at the four spot... homecourt against the rockets , avoiding the clippers in the second round

potential road to LOB:

Harden - Westbrook

LeBron - Davis

Kawhi - George

Giannis - Middleton

Quote Originally Posted by Mask the Embiid
    Cancers...