Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Pascal Siakam max extension

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Other than true franchise level players, almost everyone in the league that gets a big contract or extension is overpaid.

Just the way it works...it is the cost of business because teams can't often afford to risk letting a player like this walk.

Especially Toronto. Not exactly a free agent hotbed.

Setting that aside i think he is being underrated. Remember that Kawhi missed 22 games but the Raps still had the 2nd best record in the league.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Especially Toronto. Not exactly a free agent hotbed.

Setting that aside i think he is being underrated. Remember that Kawhi missed 22 games but the Raps still had the 2nd best record in the league.
    Agreed.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Good deal.

He's already proven a lot and has the potential to perhaps have a 5 year window where he gets good enough to be the 2nd best player on a title contender...for sure 3rd best player imo.

How can you say he has the potential to be 2nd option on a title contender when he already was that on a championship team?

No offense but he already did that and more.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    How can you say he has the potential to be 2nd option on a title contender when he already was that on a championship team?

No offense but he already did that and more.
    I was talking more from an overall level and I do think Lowry would have something to say about being that 2nd guy.

For example, Jason Terry won a title as the 2nd option, but I don't think...even after doing that...he should ever be labeled or thought of as a guy of that caliber...because he wasn't.

I know he put up really good numbers in the playoffs, but I think he has a lot of room to grow into an all-nba player...perhaps that is a better way to describe what I was getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP

That’s a fair point and tbh I agree, but still I think technically they overpaid.

If they arent making the finals the next few years, it’s gonna be a disappointment.

But I can definitely see what you mean and I think there’s merit to that aspect as well.

National High School Star

[QUOTE=FultzNationRISE]People talkin bout

Quote Originally Posted by yeaaaman
    [/B]

Was Anthony Davis' contract bad? I can't remember when he was ever on a contender (before this year).

Listen you might not think it but a lot of people are high on him and his potential growth. Zach Lowe said today Siakam has a chance at All-Star, All-Defense and All-NBA this year. Sure that might be a bit of a stretch but he said it 100% seriousness with Wilbon and others sitting right there and not even blinking twice. It's not a bad deal at all.

No because it was always tradeable regardless.

If the Raptors underperform and decide to blow it up, nobody will want P’s contract. He’s not perceived as a ‘cornerstone’ like that. The Raptors just won a chip and they have to try to stay relevant post-Kawhi so they overpaid. Other teams wont take on that deal tho, especially if he doesnt have them contending. That’s the difference.

I was talking more from an overall level and I do think Lowry would have something to say about being that 2nd guy.

For example, Jason Terry won a title as the 2nd option, but I don't think...even after doing that...he should ever be labeled or thought of as a guy of that caliber...because he wasn't.

I know he put up really good numbers in the playoffs, but I think he has a lot of room to grow into an all-nba player...perhaps that is a better way to describe what I was getting at.
    I get what you're saying but I wouldn't put it that way at all because of what Siakam brings across the board offensively and defensively. The pressure he puts on defense in transition and attacking the rim is immense and will only get better. Being a player who puts up 32 on 14-17 in your first finals game going up against Draymond Green is someone I'd feel comfortable being a clear second option moving forward on a championship level team for the reason you stated - he still has a lot of room to grow.

A guy whose improved this much with the athleticism, skill-set and motor that he has makes it hard to know what exactly his cieling is. This will be an interesting year to see how he grows. Clearly it's a lot to expect another insane jump for him but what does that next step look like? We'll see

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE
    No because it was always tradeable regardless.

If the Raptors underperform and decide to blow it up, nobody will want P’s contract because he’s not perceived as a ‘cornerstone.’ That wasnt the case with AD. That’s the difference.
    a) It's 2019 - cornerstone players don't make $130 over 4 years.
    b) Players like Bradley Beal will be making 250mil in 2 years, in no way will Siakam at 130 be a contract nobody wants unless he completely falls off a cliff and doens't progress at all. Do you forsee that?

a) It's 2019 - cornerstone players don't make $130 over 4 years.
    b) Players like Bradley Beal will be making 250mil in 2 years, in no way will Siakam at 130 be a contract nobody wants unless he completely falls off a cliff and doens't progress at all. Do you forsee that?

Thread title says this is a max extension

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE
    Thread title says this is a max extension
    Max extensions are different for players coming off their rookie contracts and I believe years of service. His max deal isn't crippling or unworthy of his ability and skill considering its a rookie max extension.

Max extensions are different for players coming off their rookie contracts and I believe years of service. His max deal isn't crippling or unworthy of his ability and skill considering its a rookie max extension.

That’s fair.

We’ll see I guess.

Im not rooting against him, just skeptical.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Max extension.

Made that high school varsity squad

Raptors have just signed Siakam to a 4 year $130 million contract. Expecting a big year from him. Raptors will be better than many think.
    I agree too, I think Toronto is gonna play with a TON of pride