Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Steph Curry is the GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by Stephonit
    But the Warriors didn't take the Rockets' philosophy.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ent-approaches
    Yes they did. As I said they did it better and different but they certainly followed there basic philosophy that shooting more threes is beneficial. Most of the league did. Either way the warriors definitely didn't start it so how could they have changed the game? It can't be because of there beautiful ball movement because Kerr got that from pop And most teams still don't move on and off ball like the warriors so how has curry and the warriors changed the game that way?

Steph is amazing but this notion that he's changed the game isn't true. None of the top teams play like the warriors and all of those top teams stars don't resemble Curry's game at all. So in what way has he changed the game?

If anything by no fault of his own curry will impact the game in a negative way because all of these Steph fans want to copy his game but no one can shoot like him. He's a freak that only comes a long once in a lifetime. For anyone else his attempts are bad shots

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23
    Yes they did. As I said they did it better and different but they certainly followed there basic philosophy that shooting more threes is beneficial. Most of the league did. Either way the warriors definitely didn't start it so how could they have changed the game? It can't be because of there beautiful ball movement because Kerr got that from pop And most teams still don't move on and off ball like the warriors so how has curry and the warriors changed the game that way?

Steph is amazing but this notion that he's changed the game isn't true. None of the top teams play like the warriors and all of those top teams stars don't resemble Curry's game at all. So in what way has he changed the game?

If anything by no fault of his own curry will impact the game in a negative way because all of these Steph fans want to copy his game but no one can shoot like him. He's a freak that only comes a long once in a lifetime. For anyone else his attempts are bad shots
    Which player was the poster child for 3-pointers prior to Curry? It wasn't Harden. The guys who epitomized 3-point shooting before Curry was the likes of Ray Allen and Kyle Korver. How do Allen and Korver differ from the 3-point shooters of today? They shot assisted catch and shoot 3s which is the higher percentage shot for most people. That was where prior to Curry's explosion the analytics was pointing. Then Curry comes along and creates his 3s often off the dribble and reveals to everyone how potent self-created 3s can be in the hands of a master. His pull-up 3 is the game changer that set off the increase in 3-point attempts. Now you have Harden with his step-back threes and Lillard with his long range bombs with no one pulling them aside and telling them to stop.

3-time NBA All-Star

Which player was the poster child for 3-pointers prior to Curry? It wasn't Harden. The guys who epitomized 3-point shooting before Curry was the likes of Ray Allen and Kyle Korver. How do Allen and Korver differ from the 3-point shooters of today? They shot assisted catch and shoot 3s which is the higher percentage shot for most people. That was where prior to Curry's explosion the analytics was pointing. Then Curry comes along and creates his 3s often off the dribble and reveals to everyone how potent self-created 3s can be in the hands of a master. His pull-up 3 is the game changer that set off the increase in 3-point attempts. Now you have Harden with his step-back threes and Lillard with his long range bombs with no one pulling them aside and telling them to stop.
    Nah man Houston has always lead the three point charge. The numbers don't lie.

And Lillard only shoots one more three a game than he did before curry and the rockets were winning and jacking threes so curry isn't responsible for that.

And harden and curry use the three ball much differently. Harden shoots the three ball off of almost all iso while curry gets a shit ton of screens. You say curry shoots the three off the dribble but you fail to mention he gets more screens than anyone in the history of the game other than maybe Reggie Miller.

That said I agree curry is the face of the three ball. He's the best to ever do it but that doesn't mean he changed the game. In 2014-15 Houston was the first team to shoot more than 30 threes a game(31.8) warriors that year shot 27.7. the following year the warriors followed the rockets three ball philosophy and shot the same amount as Houston did the year before (31.8). In 2016-17 the rockets shot even more and were the first team to shoot 40 threes a game. The warriors actually shot a little less(31.5). There were only 6 teams that shot the three more than 30 times this year. The following year houston led the charge again and shot even more (41.9) while the warriors shot less(29.4). More teams followed the rockets lead that season and now 11 teams shot more than 30 a game. Last year the rockets again led the charge and shot even more threes(45). Even more teams followed the rockets lead and 18 teams last year shot more than 30 threes.

So as you can see This notion that curry is responsible for the Increase in the three ball is just false. The rockets were and are the ones responsible.

The NBA has always been dominated by either big men or big athletic gaurds. Curry hasn't " changed" this. So I ask again. If teams shoot more threes because of the rockets and teams still look to build around big men or big gaurds how has curry changed the game?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Nah man Houston has always lead the three point charge. The numbers don't lie.

And Lillard only shoots one more three a game than he did before curry and the rockets were winning and jacking threes so curry isn't responsible for that.

And harden and curry use the three ball much differently. Harden shoots the three ball off of almost all iso while curry gets a shit ton of screens. You say curry shoots the three off the dribble but you fail to mention he gets more screens than anyone in the history of the game other than maybe Reggie Miller.

That said I agree curry is the face of the three ball. He's the best to ever do it but that doesn't mean he changed the game. In 2014-15 Houston was the first team to shoot more than 30 threes a game(31.8) warriors that year shot 27.7. the following year the warriors followed the rockets three ball philosophy and shot the same amount as Houston did the year before (31.8). In 2016-17 the rockets shot even more and were the first team to shoot 40 threes a game. The warriors actually shot a little less(31.5). There were only 6 teams that shot the three more than 30 times this year. The following year houston led the charge again and shot even more (41.9) while the warriors shot less(29.4). More teams followed the rockets lead that season and now 11 teams shot more than 30 a game. Last year the rockets again led the charge and shot even more threes(45). Even more teams followed the rockets lead and 18 teams last year shot more than 30 threes.

So as you can see This notion that curry is responsible for the Increase in the three ball is just false. The rockets were and are the ones responsible.

The NBA has always been dominated by either big men or big athletic gaurds. Curry hasn't " changed" this. So I ask again. If teams shoot more threes because of the rockets and teams still look to build around big men or big gaurds how has curry changed the game?
    Even if you want to say Curry didn

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Even if you want to say Curry didn’t change the game (which is trolling)...There is no denying he legitimized the “new game”
    It's not trolling at all. It's a fact that the rockets with Morey's analytics are responsible for the Increase in threes. As far as legitimizing the three ball because they won I guess that's probably a better word for it although I would argue that the game isn't new at all. Yeah teams shoot more threes but the NBA is dominated by big athletic players. Look at the last 10 fmvps. As a matter of fact the last time a small unathletic player won was Tony Parker in 07. there were only three guys in history really. Dumars, Isiah and Parker. Guys like Isiah Thomas and curry are just exceptions. The don't change the game or even legitimize anything. Teams didn't go out dying to draft small point gaurds with isiahs game anymore then there doing the same with curry now. They still want the LeBron's and mj,s of the world.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Even if you want to say Curry didn’t change the game (which is trolling)...There is no denying he legitimized the “new game”
    I don't think teams are drafting small guards anymore than they used to, but I do think Curry is a great player

i.e. he's better for an offense than Lebron - ANY player that can average 30 ppg largely off-ball will yield goat offenses with minimal offensive help (i.e. offensively, Klay/Dray or Pippen < Wade/Bosh or Kyrie/Love)

Curry was a Silver rig job away pulling an "MJ" in 2016 - winning the title as scoring champ..
    Last edited by 3ball; 09-17-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Good college starter

It's not trolling at all. It's a fact that the rockets with Morey's analytics are responsible for the Increase in threes. As far as legitimizing the three ball because they won I guess that's probably a better word for it although I would argue that the game isn't new at all. Yeah teams shoot more threes but the NBA is dominated by big athletic players. Look at the last 10 fmvps. As a matter of fact the last time a small unathletic player won was Tony Parker in 07. there were only three guys in history really. Dumars, Isiah and Parker. Guys like Isiah Thomas and curry are just exceptions. The don't change the game or even legitimize anything. Teams didn't go out dying to draft small point gaurds with isiahs game anymore then there doing the same with curry now. They still want the LeBron's and mj,s of the world.
    Before Curry's 2016, the record for 3 point attempts in a season was set by George McCloud in the 1995-1996 season with 678 attempts. It's a record that stood for 20 years.

Since Curry's 2016 that old record has been surpassed 7 more times.

http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/CKbEw

3-time NBA All-Star

Before Curry's 2016, the record for 3 point attempts in a season was set by George McCloud in the 1995-1996 season with 678 attempts. It's a record that stood for 20 years.

Since Curry's 2016 that old record has been surpassed 7 more times.

http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/CKbEw
    yeah curry shoots a shit ton of threes but the warriors as a team don't actually. There usually anywhere from 5th to 9th in attempts.

The reason why curry shooting a shit ton of threes won't change the game is because Steph is an alien. Nobody else can shoot like him other than maybe the guy who's on his team. You can't just take anyone and tell them to shoot 10-12 threes a game and expect to have success with it. It works with curry and the warriors because for one as I said curry is the best shooter ever and his teammate is the probably the second. Even with the first and second best shooters ever in the history of the game the warriors still struggled to win chips. It wasn't somewhat easy until they added the best scorer in the game.

Teams still have a better chance at success building around bigger athletic gaurds, fowards or centers that can influence the game on both sides.

He's an amazing player but this notion that he's changed the game just isn't true. If anything he'll change the game for the worse because all these kids are modeling there games off of a guy who takes horrible shots(for anyone else) and who can't play defence. It works for Steph because as I said he's not human with his shooting and he has elite defenders on his team to pick up his slack on d but for anyone else it's not gonna work.

Good college starter

yeah curry shoots a shit ton of threes but the warriors as a team don't actually. There usually anywhere from 5th to 9th in attempts.

The reason why curry shooting a shit ton of threes won't change the game is because Steph is an alien. Nobody else can shoot like him other than maybe the guy who's on his team. You can't just take anyone and tell them to shoot 10-12 threes a game and expect to have success with it. It works with curry and the warriors because for one as I said curry is the best shooter ever and his teammate is the probably the second. Even with the first and second best shooters ever in the history of the game the warriors still struggled to win chips. It wasn't somewhat easy until they added the best scorer in the game.

Teams still have a better chance at success building around bigger athletic gaurds, fowards or centers that can influence the game on both sides.

He's an amazing player but this notion that he's changed the game just isn't true. If anything he'll change the game for the worse because all these kids are modeling there games off of a guy who takes horrible shots(for anyone else) and who can't play defence. It works for Steph because as I said he's not human with his shooting and he has elite defenders on his team to pick up his slack on d but for anyone else it's not gonna work.
    James Harden, Paul George and Kemba Walker may not be Stephen Curry when it comes to threes but they all still had career years after increasing their 3-point output to levels first charted by Curry.

3-time NBA All-Star

James Harden, Paul George and Kemba Walker may not be Stephen Curry when it comes to threes but they all still had career years after increasing their 3-point output to levels first charted by Curry.
    But teams are shooting more threes because of the rockets so naturally the best players on each team will be shooting more threes than anyone and if your shooting more naturally your gonna score more. Why you credit curry for this I'm not sure.

And curry, harden and kemba ain't winning anything from hear on out so I wouldn't say the game is gonna change due to then shooting more threes. A more traditional player like kawhi is more likely to win more than those guys are. Like I said big athletic players are still the way to go and that's still what most teams try to build around. That's not gonna change anytime soon.

Good college starter

But teams are shooting more threes because of the rockets so naturally the best players on each team will be shooting more threes than anyone and if your shooting more naturally your gonna score more. Why you credit curry for this I'm not sure.

And curry, harden and kemba ain't winning anything from hear on out so I wouldn't say the game is gonna change due to then shooting more threes. A more traditional player like kawhi is more likely to win more than those guys are. Like I said big athletic players are still the way to go and that's still what most teams try to build around. That's not gonna change anytime soon.
    But as I've said teams didn't start shooting more threes due to the Rockets. They are shooting more threes because they saw the Warriors win and are copying a proven winner.

3-time NBA All-Star

But as I've said teams didn't start shooting more threes due to the Rockets. They are shooting more threes because they saw the Warriors win and are copying a proven winner.
    Well I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree on that point

College superstar

Mike D and Steve Nash changed the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
    Mike D and Steve Nash changed the game.
    Mike D's system certainly did but it's not like Nash ever reached the popularity or influence of Steph. Nash wasn't close to as dominant as Steph, he was a poor man's version of John Stockton.

The rule changes helped create the league we're in today. Nash wasn't putting up 15+ pts 10+ ast with Dirk in Don Nelson's system and he wasn't a high-volume 3-Point shooter like Steph. Young guards in today's league try to emulate Steph, we didn't see many players shoot deep 3s or more than 5-6 threes a game before Curry started doing it.

Steph's going to be #1 all-time in threes at age 32 (barring injury) with almost every 3-point record in his name except for Klay 14 threes in a single game 2018, but I'm sure he'll take enough attempts this season to potentially break that record. You only find a couple of players who's made 10+ threes in a game once or twice, Steph's had 10+ threes in a RS game 15 times in the past 5 seasons, Klay's 2nd with 5.

Lillard