Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wasn't that long ago that watching a DVD on a Plasma with 5.1...

Quote Originally Posted by bullettooth
    Holy f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck, that is incredible. I thought h265 was supposed to be this good; I've tested encodes in Handbrake and it's overrated.

How are encoding times for AV1? Do they take forever?
    Encoding time initially took forever. Here's the first release.

And this is from March.

So initially 12,560 longer than an mp4, but in March it was reduced to 41 times longer. This is without hardware acceleration, which is due to come out soon on GPUs, CPUs, and so on.

YouTube started encoding in AV1, but you have to enable it here https://www.youtube.com/testtube.

For now they mainly only do it for 480p videos. If you click on always prefer AV1 videos, then if a video that you click on is encoded with AV1, then it's going to play in 480p and not 1080p.

When it was in beta they did have a lot of 1080p AV1 videos, here's their playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eZUlNUQAVLwrZS

Though they were purposefully encoded at a higher bit rate, from what I remember reading. Then plan is to replace mp4 as the default and save bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Encoding time initially took forever. Here's the first release.

And this is from March.

So initially 12,560 longer than an mp4, but in March it was reduced to 41 times longer. This is without hardware acceleration, which is due to come out soon on GPUs, CPUs, and so on.

YouTube started encoding in AV1, but you have to enable it here https://www.youtube.com/testtube.

For now they mainly only do it for 480p videos. If you click on always prefer AV1 videos, then if a video that you click on is encoded with AV1, then it's going to play in 480p and not 1080p.

When it was in beta they did have a lot of 1080p AV1 videos, here's their playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eZUlNUQAVLwrZS

Though they were purposefully encoded at a higher bit rate, from what I remember reading. Then plan is to replace mp4 as the default and save bandwidth.
    Jesus christ... Not really worth the effort for the time being. You'd need a Ryzen 2950x or a 2080ti for this to make sense... or a combo of both (is that possible, that both CPU and GPU encode a movie at the same time?)

College superstar

I've got a pretty fast PC, what I do is download all my content and then run it through a compressor (Handbrake) and put all my movies and tv shows on external hard drives. Everything I own is encoded with h264 for video and AC-3 for audio in an MP4 container. After that I run the files through an automated tagger that fills in the ID3 tags which brings in all the info about an episode or movie, including the cover art (which displays really nicely when browsing the files). In the end, my 1080p movies average out to about 4gb per file with very little loss of detail from original Bluray content. You won't notice it in real time.

I know this sounds incredibly tedious; and it is.... but my library is pristine and essentially compatible with everything. I can take the files and play them back on basically any device.

However, I let Plex manage everything and have my Nvidia Shield TV do the playback on TV.

I have a couple movies in 4k; The Matrix and Bumblebee. You can definitely tell the extra detail in the image even on a 1080p screen. Too bad though, cuz the file sizes are nuts (20gb file for Matrix and 16gb for Bumblebee).

The TV i've got is from 2014; paid about $500 for it. No complaints. I don't see myself upgrading to 4k or anything until OLED TVs or MicroLED becomes affordable. I'm NOT paying several thousand just for a TV. The whole HDR shit also annoys me as I really don't understand it; so it displays more colours. Isn't that just a 10bit or 12bit display or whatever? Apparently it's more than that but it's confusing.

As for sound; yeah, used to be 5.1 (AC-3 format) now there's Atmos, DTS-X, etc. And even if you go all out on a 7+ channel setup, MOST movies aren't recorded for 7 channels anyway so it's mostly a useless upgrade. Thank god though; speakers are essentially a one time purchase.
    With how cheap hard drives are why compress the video file with Handbrake. Its a waste of time. and the pq probably trash too. 1:1 rip and throw it up on Kodi.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzer87
    With how cheap hard drives are why compress the video file with Handbrake. Its a waste of time. and the pq probably trash too. 1:1 rip and throw it up on Kodi.
    I have a ton of movies and the picture quality is excellent. The settings in Handbrake I use are tweaked like crazy. I can upload some screenshots later with a comparison between bluray and my compressed files. The picture quality to file size ratio makes it well worth it; you will more than likely not see any difference at all between the bluray rip and my compressed files. To give you an idea, my files come out smaller than the Amazon / Netflix webrips but much better in picture quality. If there was a half way point between Bluray and Webrip, my files are close to Bluray. Like I said earlier, a 1920x1080 2 hour movie averages out to about 4gb in file size. That's damn small.

If I had to use uncompressed or the regular rips off of you know what sources, I'd max out an 8tb drive, easily. I like having all my movies on a single 2.5" external drive (5TB) with plenty of space left over. This way I can easily take the drive with me anywhere and share them when I visit my parents and sister, coworkers or friends. Sure a NAS would be great, but I don't care for the hassle. Also; accessing the small files I have is MUCH faster than some giant sized 30gb file. Also, no transcoding needed through remote playback via Plex!

Jesus christ... Not really worth the effort for the time being. You'd need a Ryzen 2950x or a 2080ti for this to make sense... or a combo of both (is that possible, that both CPU and GPU encode a movie at the same time?)
    No, not at the same time.

Popular video formats get CPU and GPUs support from Intel, AMD, ARM, etc. For example, if you were to play an mp4 on a computer that came out 6 months before hardware support, then it's going to struggle. Unless you buy a PCI card meant to decode/encode it.

I'm mostly excited about down loading YouTube videos that I might like.

No, not at the same time.

Popular video formats get CPU and GPUs support from Intel, AMD, ARM, etc. For example, if you were to play an mp4 on a computer that came out 6 months before hardware support, then it's going to struggle. Unless you buy a PCI card meant to decode/encode it.

I'm mostly excited about down loading YouTube videos that I might like.
    Does Netflix or any other streaming service intend on using the format? Would help greatly with their servers i'm sure but also everyone streaming stuff; quick download times, less buffering, less bandwidth usage, etc.

College superstar

I have a ton of movies and the picture quality is excellent. The settings in Handbrake I use are tweaked like crazy. I can upload some screenshots later with a comparison between bluray and my compressed files. The picture quality to file size ratio makes it well worth it; you will more than likely not see any difference at all between the bluray rip and my compressed files. To give you an idea, my files come out smaller than the Amazon / Netflix webrips but much better in picture quality. If there was a half way point between Bluray and Webrip, my files are close to Bluray. Like I said earlier, a 1920x1080 2 hour movie averages out to about 4gb in file size. That's damn small.

If I had to use uncompressed or the regular rips off of you know what sources, I'd max out an 8tb drive, easily. I like having all my movies on a single 2.5" external drive (5TB) with plenty of space left over. This way I can easily take the drive with me anywhere and share them when I visit my parents and sister, coworkers or friends. Sure a NAS would be great, but I don't care for the hassle. Also; accessing the small files I have is MUCH faster than some giant sized 30gb file. Also, no transcoding needed through remote playback via Plex!
    Well it depends on the display...Yeah maybe with a display that is "70 or smaller and depends on how far you sit too......
    Im so glad all my movies are 1:1 rip cause I ended up moving to a projector from my 65". GoT on HBO vs bluray there is a big difference in pq. On the audio side netflix, amazon and hbo cant compare to what you could get off a disc.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzer87
    Well it depends on the display...Yeah maybe with a display that is "70 or smaller and depends on how far you sit too......
    Im so glad all my movies are 1:1 rip cause I ended up moving to a projector from my 65". GoT on HBO vs bluray there is a big difference in pq. On the audio side netflix, amazon and hbo cant compare to what you could get off a disc.
    I actually have a few files on me (I'm at work);

Home Alone 2, ripped from a low compression rip:
    https://i.imgur.com/nHIh1fK.jpg

Chernobyl (the miniseries), compressed from the AMZN webrips:
    https://i.imgur.com/NO955FT.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/azGUQyL.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/9MBuC6o.jpg

IMGUR doesn't allow PNG uploads, so these will have to do (JPG compression), but you can tell the quality is damn good. Movies with a lot of grain (like Home Alone 2) will compres a bit weird since the grain moves in every frame... hard to compress but you won't notice it once the movie plays.

To be fair though, if you've got a 70+ inch screen, you best be sitting far away enough and at minimum be displaying 1080p content... at that size, you're bound to see loss of quality. 4k content will easily alleviate that though.
    Last edited by bullettooth; 05-29-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Does Netflix or any other streaming service intend on using the format? Would help greatly with their servers i'm sure but also everyone streaming stuff; quick download times, less buffering, less bandwidth usage, etc.
    Yes, I was going to mention NetFlix in my previous post. And Facebook.

These are the companies involved.

I feel like a spokesperson.

Yes, I was going to mention NetFlix in my previous post. And Facebook.

These are the companies involved.

I feel like a spokesperson.
    Nice! Think they can make more tweaks to the encoding/decoding to get efficiency anywhere near H264?

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    and the dumbest thing is when people say "oh the providers just haven't caught up but buying this will make you future proof". I'm sure all those dudes with 3D sets probably agree. The tech formats are so flaky right now that they could go off on some tangent and your TV's special HDR or sound formats are useless. Betamax vs VHS was less messy than this.
    I remember going to the movie rental store and every movie had a VHS and a beta version next to it.

These days you have 4k UHD discs being sold that weren't even filmed in true 4k.

Nice! Think they can make more tweaks to the encoding/decoding to get efficiency anywhere near H264?
    There will be improvements, specially with hardware acceleration. But it's never going to equal h264. The extra processing power is what makes such compression.

There's a successor to HEVC that is expected to come out in a few years. But I doubt it will have the backing of AV1.

The Chinese are also making one. They have over a Billion people.