Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you overcome occasionally feeling blue?

I don't know about others here but every once in a while, I feel emotionally drained. It's rare but lasts a day or sometimes up to a week, but those days are not easy to get by.

I feel like not doing anything for days at a time. I just want to sit there and try to pass the time. I open up insidehoops/espn every 30 minutes or run through google news/slickdeals every 45 minutes to somehow pass time. I watch tv for hours at a time. I avoid social media like facebook because in those moods, you don't want to see the joy others are having on their day off. It will make you feel even worse about yourself.

So what do you do when you feel that way?

I don't want to call it depression bc it's not. It's a sense of sadness, certainly, but you feel disheartened. It's as if any confidence you had goes out the window in just a day.

I don't feel like talking about it with family or friends because I don't want to bring them down or make them think I'm just complaining about my issues. They will either push away in response or start worrying themselves about what's wrong with you. I feel better when I am around them or hanging out with them, but their lives don't revolve around mine. I can't make them do something for my selfish reasons so I just keep my issues holed up.

I also don't want them to see me in a different light. I'm very introverted so it's not normal for me to share my emotions with others. I don't know how to even discuss that so you know they would see a huge red flag if I brought that up out of the blue. You might see some worried question like "Is everything okay?" or "What's wrong??" I don't want to explain something like that and certainly no need for a red flag

Default Re: How do you overcome occasionally feeling blue?

get busy. it's funny how it works, bc you don't feel like doing anything yet that's exactly what you should be doing, staying busy.

but yeah i get like that too. i try to watch tv to get myself distracted or start searching ways to better my business. funny thing is i come up with dumb sh1t all the time in these moments. moments of self-reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    I believe jerking off is supposed to make you feel better initially but even worse after you are done.. So probably not a good idea

Get over your TDS.

Okay, jokes aside, just find something you enjoy doing when you go through these moments of....numbness. Go for a run, do some Tai Chi, sit at the beach (no idea where you live, but somewhere with nature), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    I believe jerking off is supposed to make you feel better initially but even worse after you are done.. So probably not a good idea
    Stop acting like you never jerk off

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Get a job.

Well if you aren't working much, then lisren to Justin.

If you are working, and this phenomenon pertains to your days off, then you can shake yourself out of those funks with certain tricks. Essentially you want to impose discomfort jarring enough to snap you out of this low-energy state.

Do some pushups on your knuckles on the pavement, or take an ice cold shower, or go outside and do sprints. Something intense and uncomfortable. Even chugging a bunch of cold water helps. So does taking like 30 seconds worth of very exaggerated deep breaths (as if you were fuming mad, breathing deep, full and fast). You will come out of this activity feeling motivation and energy. I promise.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Scotch, bourbon, vodka, rum, tequilla, gin. Roll the dice.

Some suggestions:

Find a hobby to take your mind off things. Something like chess that will require your full attention. It helped me with my drug addiction

Reach out to an old friend or family member. You will feel rejoiced with yourself after catching up.

Workout/excercise. Hardest part is getting yourself to do it. When was the last time you had a runner's high?

Replay an old video game you really enjoyed, preferrably of the Japanese variety. Enjoy reliving Persona 5, or a classic like Zelda OoT.

Clean. Just start cleaning. You will feel better.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

You need more gym/weed/[COLOR="Black"]p[/COLOR]ussy

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Read a good book.

Very good NBA starter

do you know why you are feeling like that?

identify the source.

then ask yourself what can you do to fix it or at least improve the situation.

is there any hope in doing that? if there is, then go work on it.

you overcome something by beating it and taking care of it.

putting it by the side and doing something else that might take your mind off is only a temporary fix.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    do you know why you are feeling like that?

identify the source.

then ask yourself what can you do to fix it or at least improve the situation.

is there any hope in doing that? if there is, then go work on it.

you overcome something by beating it and taking care of it.

putting it by the side and doing something else that might take your mind off is only a temporary fix.
    What if it's something you can't do anything about. Are you suppose to just 'then don't worry about it' like the cliche most people would say?

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    What if it's something you can't do anything about. Are you suppose to just 'then don't worry about it' like the cliche most people would say?
    'Just be positive!'

That one gets under my skin too.