Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The Truth Is Out There Media Moderator's Avatar

Default Why couldn't David Duchovny make the transition into a movie super star?

He had the looks, the recognition, definitely the smarts. He also had great range, from funny to seriously dramatic. It still amazes me to this day, that guy's like George Clooney, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Tom Cruise could be such huge stars and David Duchovny could not despite being more talented.

What's your opinion on this?

Default Re: Why couldn't David Duchovny make the transition into a movie super star?

too dorky. charisma and presence of a flat tire. heard he was hung like a horse though.

Default Re: Why couldn't David Duchovny make the transition into a movie super star?

Did he try?

Quote Originally Posted by diamenz View Post
    too dorky. charisma and presence of a flat tire.
    Dorky? Lack of charisma? The guy oozed coolness. Maybe not Brad Pitt, Leo, Benicio, Clooney tier but certainly as much or more than other stars of the late 90s, early 2000s like Ben Affleck, Matt Damon and Brendan Frasier.

heard he was hung like a horse though.
    Life's not fair. 150 IQ, Princeton/Yale grad, good looks, rich and famous AND a monster shlong. Heard he lost jobs because he was a sex addict though

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Did he try?
    good q

Quote Originally Posted by Media Moderator View Post
    Dorky? Lack of charisma? The guy oozed coolness. Maybe not Brad Pitt, Leo, Benicio, Clooney tier but certainly as much or more than other stars of the late 90s, early 2000s like Ben Affleck, Matt Damon and Brendan Frasier.

Life's not fair. 150 IQ, Princeton/Yale grad, good looks, rich and famous AND a monster shlong. Heard he lost jobs because he was a sex addict though
    must suck for white people, yall have like a 3" *****. very understandable why your women like to be piped by minorites.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    must suck for white people, yall have like a 3" *****. very understandable why your women like to be piped by minorites.
    Black/ African American men: 14.75cm/ 5.8 inches.
    White/ Caucasian: 14.5cm / 5.7 inches
    Hispanic/ Latino: 14.45cm/ 5.7 inches
    Asian American: 14.15cm/ 5.6 inches
    Middle- Eastern: 13.9cm/ 5.5 inches
    South East Asian: 13.65cm/ 5.4 inches
    South Asian: 13cm/ 5.1 inches
    East Asian: 12.9cm/ 5.1 inches

Only minority bigger is blacks.

We all know highwey is short in the pants, short in the brain, short in height and big in the belly and boobies

Impressive *****!

Quote Originally Posted by diamenz View Post
    too dorky. charisma and presence of a flat tire. heard he was hung like a horse though.
    I googled this question and this seems to be the consensus.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XFiles/comm..._awful_movies/

Duchovny is handsome and charismatic but he’s not an especially good actor. Anderson is beautiful and charismatic and is an especially good actor. There’s the difference imo.

96 upvotes
    I agree. His lines can come out flat. Sometimes that worked for being Fox Mulder. Gillian Anderson far surpasses him talent wise.

32 upvotes
    This would be my answer. DD is very one note as an actor, and Mulder was that note.

17 upvotes
    Exactly. My friend is a composer and he once said that you can make anyone a singer if you write around one's voice. Same here, David basically plays himself - a smart guy with a dry sense of humor and monotone voice. But it's the emotional episodes like "Field Where I Died" (horrible episode btw) it becomes apparent that DD can't convincingly pull off a convincing performance. Got to agree that GA is definitely a good actress with range.

18 upvotes
    Agreed. He's just not really a "movie" type actor. He's got a different type of personality and presence IMO that doesn't lend itself well to many movies. He's a character driven actor that fits well for TV series.

40 upvotes
    He is an uhhh interesting actor and Gillian is a fantastic actress.

The reason why Californication was so good for a while was because it was David Duchovny playing a writer version of David Duchovny.

142 upvotes
    Perfectly stated. I’m not a fan of David’s outside of Mulder. I find him pretty one-note.

18 upvotes
    Thank you for saying that. I never found him to be all that good an actor. He was perfect for Mulder, but he really doesn't have much range.

15 upvotes
    This is more or less the answer. David is one of my favorite actors. He was going through struggles as a person at the time that basically he wasn't even acting that much. Californication was an awesome show though because of it.

Also never forget his hand modeling abilities!

13 upvotes
    I'm firmly in the camp of Duchovny having a pretty limited acting range, and a weird sense of humor. I feel like he's essentially played assorted, character-based versions of himself. That said, he's apparently worth @$80 mil, so he can do whatever he wants.

121 upvotes
    I think he's an interesting guy, he's just.....not a great actor tbh. With as much popularity as he still has from the X Files, there's probably a reason he doesn't get cast in more/better movies.

34 upvotes
    Last edited by Im Still Ballin; 11-07-2023 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    I googled this question and this seems to be the consensus.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XFiles/comm..._awful_movies/

Haters gonna hate

Impressive *****!

Mia approved!

Black/ African American men: 14.75cm/ 5.8 inches.
    White/ Caucasian: 14.5cm / 5.7 inches
    Hispanic/ Latino: 14.45cm/ 5.7 inches
    Asian American: 14.15cm/ 5.6 inches
    Middle- Eastern: 13.9cm/ 5.5 inches
    South East Asian: 13.65cm/ 5.4 inches
    South Asian: 13cm/ 5.1 inches
    East Asian: 12.9cm/ 5.1 inches

Only minority bigger is blacks.

We all know highwey is short in the pants, short in the brain, short in height and big in the belly and boobies
    nice try grouping all latinos and hispanics.

to bad Mexico is bigger than the US :)

https://www.worlddata.info/average-penissize.php

must sux to have a micropenis

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    nice try grouping all latinos and hispanics.

to bad Mexico is bigger than the US :)

https://www.worlddata.info/average-penissize.php

must sux to have a micropenis
    GTFO of our country anchor baby. You are bringing down our average

GTFO of our country anchor baby. You are bringing down our average
    micropenis meltdown

Impressive *****!

obviously a grower. i've seen him erect in person. don't ask.