Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend

Default Re: Hopefully ISH invests in some bandwidth by July

I personally dont give a **** about upgrades, and Im not sure why so many people do.

We're here to talk basketball. What more do we need than to post some words and a few smileys?

Tbh I'm not even sure what people mean by "upgrades."

Although I think it's pretty pathetic that PM's are straight up turned off. That's such an embarrassing look.

Other than that I couldnt give a shit about signatures and rep bars and all that stuff.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

PMs, sigs and rep are turned off for bandwidth expense related reasons. Jeff is a... well... you know...

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by talkingconch
    i think if this site gets a huge makeover it has potential to be better than the other one

although its current state is not great.

I think it would be a mistake to invest much time/money on a gamble like that.

Most people are actually quite square. Real GM and reddit are better options for the mainstream, who have no sense of humor and like everything dry, simple, and inviting to the slow-witted.

They already have far more users, and if they were looking for the ISH experience they would have come here. If you try to mold ISH in that vein, then it will simply be a copy of the site they're already on, and they'll have no reason to switch.

People en masse dont just get up and move. ISH is what it is. I'd cater to the niche it provides currently rather than try to adapt it to suit markets that are already taken.

But that's just me.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    PMs, sigs and rep are turned off for bandwidth expense related reasons. Jeff is a... well... you know...

PM's are turned off because a bunch of corny posters got upset a few years ago about how their "Biggest Thread Ever" was moderated, and coordinated with each other to go to some other free, "start your own message board" site.

Jeff basically doesn't want people using PM's to decide to leave his site, so he's turned off PM's for everyone. Now nobody can discuss anything via PM.

It's absolutely shameless tbh.

NBA Legend

Also reps are turned off because people were, quite predictably, sending obnoxious, bigoted etc. comments back when it was available. People complained and I can understand Jeff's predicament and decision. Personally I don't see how a grown man could give even the remotest, slightly singular **** about his "rep bar" on an internet message board. But apparently when it's around a lot of people get real preoccupied with that shit