Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Very surprised Mavs got Porzingis that cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Rico2016
    I was too until someone mentioned he is still coming off an injury and taller dudes don't always bounce back as quickly.
    Wasn't he sprinting already in December?

As far as the deal goes... Mavs got a ****ing steal. He's as close to a Dirk 2.0 as you can get right now and fits that situation. It's like he was meant to be in Dallas.
    Last edited by ImKobe; 02-01-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Wasn't he sprinting already in December?

As far as the deal goes... Mavs got a ****ing steal. He's as close to a Dirk 2.0 as you can get right now and fits that situation. It's like he was meant to be in Dallas.
    ...... no

Maybe he should, you know.... make it to the posteason and win some games first, before making comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    ...... no

Maybe he should, you know.... make it to the posteason and win some games first, before making comparisons.
    He played in one of the most toxic situations in the NBA and had them near .500 his first year as the #1 option His 3rd year numbers are similar to Dirk's as well. There's a difference between being coached by Fisher/Hornacek & being coached by Don Nelson with Nash running point.

He played in one of the most toxic situations in the NBA and had them near .500 his first year as the #1 option His 3rd year numbers are similar to Dirk's as well. There's a difference between being coached by Fisher/Hornacek & being coached by Don Nelson with Nash running point.

Dont disrespect Dirk like that....

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    Dont disrespect Dirk like that....
    Dirk's a ****ing legend, but I'm just comparing them at age 22-23. He's going to be mentored by that guy & coached by someone who's worked with a similar player for years. It's like the ideal situation for him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Yeah..... he hasn;t even played a minute yet since the ACL injury. Neither team has no way of telling if he'll bounce back strong or not. That's why I see it as both teams taking a gamble. Knicks thinking he'll possibly never return to form or be more injury prone and Dallas hoping for just the opposite.
    Right.

But for the Knicks I don't think it can really be a disaster because they cleared their books, got a solid young talent in DSJ, and got two extra first round picks.

Frank / DSJ / Knox / Robinson with likely a top 3 pick this year, two extra first rounders over the next 3 years....and loads of cap space...

I mean, Kristaps would have to play at a higher level than he reached on the Knicks for that to be even close to a disaster for the Knicks.

Conversely, if the Mavs pay Kristaps and he's just hurt for the next 4 years or something...or never gets back to his level. We just wasted 4 years plus 2 draft assets...and that would be a disaster.

So the floor on the Knicks side of it is much higher....and, honestly, the ceiling is higher as well because of the cap they opened up...could potentially be used to sign two players clearly better than Kristaps.

We'll see. I'm glad the Mavericks made a move, but just wish it wasn't two first round picks and both Courtney and Tim...while also keeping Harrison.

Still hoping we trade Barnes.

As close to Dirk 2.0 right now, doesn't = their 3rd year numbers are similar

As close to Dirk 2.0 right now, doesn't = their 3rd year numbers are similar

I'm talking about their shooting #s... Zinger actually shot better from 3 and he was in a shithole compared to what Dirk had around him. Their numbers being similar also sort of validates my point.

Why can't I compare two 7-footers who love to shoot mid-range jumpers & 3s? Are they not similar players in style?

Quote Originally Posted by lilteapot
    what dont you guys get?

We are in REBUILD mode. We dont need good players now. We're holding out for something better while we tank for a high pick.
    Kristaps is a 23 year old potential star. That's the kind of player you build around.

I'm talking about their shooting #s... Zinger actually shot better from 3 and he was in a shithole compared to what Dirk had around him. Their numbers being similar also sort of validates my point.

Why can't I compare two 7-footers who love to shoot mid-range jumpers & 3s? Are they not similar players in style?
    2.0 means exactly the same. No differences whatsoever. Hard to differentiate.

KP is not Dirk 2.0

@ a max player signing the QO. Has that ever happened before?Nothing comes to mind.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    @ a max player signing the QO. Has that ever happened before?Nothing comes to mind.
    Don't think so.

I can't imagine he'd be dumb enough to do that, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Ben Gordon is the closest that I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    Ben Gordon is the closest that I can think of.

I remember that but he wasn't a max player. Chicago had a reasonable offer for him on the table for a long time but he was holding out for more, then they pulled it in.... Sept? Seemed like a long time.

My initial reaction was wtf NY

But then you hear how KP wanted out, wasn't going to sign an extension. If he signed the QO, NYK can't deal him without his permission, hamstringing the team even more.

So the Knicks did something that was extremely balsy, they moved him for a guy they could have drafted (if they really wanted him that bad) and used that asset to clear 2 contracts.

Wise move if they end up w a game changing player or two in the summer

And we will say "Knicks gonna Knicks" if they end up with swinging and missing, whether warranted or not.

It would be interesting if they shopped him, how many teams had the requisite expiring contracts and would have offered more?