Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Smile Lebron's legacy poised to stand the test of time

Guys, we need to realize (and accept) that basketball analysis will only get more analytic going forward. The era of a grandfather passing down stories about how he once saw MJ hang in the air for no less than 10 seconds, then sink a teardrop over a man who was literally 8 feet tall... is winding down and will soon be permanently obsolete.

What matters is data. And what matters when ANALYZING data are trends, not anomalies. As prisoners of the moment, we put way more emphasis on outliers like 2011 (Wade's Finals sabotage) than history will.

Instead, history will show a guy who won Most Valuable Player 4 times (rare feat). It will show a guy who took his team to the finals in 9 of his first 15 seasons . History will show championship successes with multiple franchises, including the previously irrelevant Cleveland Cavaliers. It will show crazy playoff statlines. Oodles of playoff game winners. A constant barrage of "youngest to do this" or "most ____ ever."

We live in the internet age where trolls can hammer away at every missed shot a guy made last night to try and denigrate his esteem. But that is temporary. In the long run, when all the current stars we argue over are long since retired, data and trends will determine how players are perceived.

And Lebron will remain The King
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 01-15-2019 at 03:02 AM.

Default Re: Lebron's legacy poised to stand the test of time

This is LeBron's legacy:

Banned

i don't think i've ever had to make a thread that said kobes legacy is poised to stand the test of time

if you have to say that then its almost like you don't believe it

thats like saying lebron should make the hall of fame some day

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
    i don't think i've ever had to make a thread that said kobes legacy is poised to stand the test of time

Nor would it be advisable to do so.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Nor would it be advisable to do so.
    i agree

it comes across as very insecure

NBA Legend

i agree

it comes across as very insecure

But more importantly, inaccurate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    But more importantly, inaccurate.

i look at kobe as the mickey mantle of his era ... sure theres guys with bigger better numbers but they don't have that mystique

lebron will leave a legacy that resembles barry bonds... all time leading totals with a cloud of doubt surrounding them

legacies only last if you're respected.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Music, art, books and movies are data when digitalized. What do you enjoy? Data?

Girls can be measured. Do you enjoy being with them... due to data?

Analyze the world as much as you want. Pleasure rarely comes from data.

Neither Kobe nor Lebron's legacy will stand the test of time. The main reason, people in the future will not have an emotional attachment to them, so their arguments against them will hold more water to them.

Lebron: Extremely weak East, stat pads in favor of his teammate thriving, 6 Finals losses because the East is too weak, passing too much in the clutch to protect his FG% in the clutch, team hopping, Popovich letting the "GOAT" open to shoot, not a very eye pleasing game, and many, many more arguments that they will read as the browse old comments.

Kobe might have it even worse, because his lack of Lebron type stat padding will make him look like a worse player out of context. Also the more and more lack of defense in the NBA will have future perimeter players scoring more, making his scoring not stand out as much.

Kobe: 6-24, Shaq's sidekick carried, game 7 6-24, Shaq 3 Finals MVP, 41% Finals percentage.

Well once you get pushed out of the top 10 what's the point? No one is making Tony Parker threads either

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Neither Kobe nor Lebron's legacy will stand the test of time. The main reason, people in the future will not have an emotional attachment to them, so their arguments against them will hold more water to them.

Lebron: Extremely weak East, stat pads in favor of his teammate thriving, 6 Finals losses because the East is too weak, passing too much in the clutch to protect his FG% in the clutch, team hopping, Popovich letting the "GOAT" open to shoot, not a very eye pleasing game, and many, many more arguments that they will read as the browse old comments.

Kobe might have it even worse, because his lack of Lebron type stat padding will make him look like a worse player out of context. Also the more and more lack of defense in the NBA will have future perimeter players scoring more, making his scoring not stand out as much.

Kobe: 6-24, Shaq's sidekick carried, game 7 6-24, Shaq 3 Finals MVP, 41% Finals percentage.

wrong

players with mystiques in large markets stand the test of time regardless of their fans dying off

mickey mantle, joe dimaggio, babe ruth... all still huge names among baseball fans and highly respected

hank aarons legacy took a hit because he did all his damage in atlanta and milwaukee

so kobes will forever be cemented because hes argued as the all time greatest of the most famous franchise and holds nearly every team record

lebron better hope he accomplishes something with the team or he'l be forgotten/looked over like elgin was

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation
    Well once you get pushed out of the top 10 what's the point? No one is making Tony Parker threads either

the only guys who are inarguably ahead of kobe are MJ, kareem and maybe russell

kobe has an argument vs any other player throughout history.. the 4 through 11 can be mixed up any which way depending on what you value more

wrong

players with mystiques in large markets stand the test of time regardless of their fans dying off

mickey mantle, joe dimaggio, babe ruth... all still huge names among baseball fans and highly respected

hank aarons legacy took a hit because he did all his damage in atlanta and milwaukee

so kobes will forever be cemented because hes argued as the all time greatest of the most famous franchise and holds nearly every team record

lebron better hope he accomplishes something with the team or he'l be forgotten/looked over like elgin was
    No. Magic, Kareem, both played for the Lakers, and aside from older fans, not many give a crap. I mean, 12 years ago, watching a Magic video on YouTube I was reading the comment of a Kobe stan saying that if Magic played today (2007) he would have the ball taken away from him every time he dribbled.

Look at James Harden, in the main page right now there's a thread "Harden is averaging 40 over last 18 games" and another thread "James Harden has 36 points... at halftime."

The continue weakening of the rules will make Kobe's number seem like a common thing among top players. They will say things like, "Any player today can go back when this Kobe Bean Bryant was playing and put up better numbers. Weak era."

Juicers never stand the test of time..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    No. Magic, Kareem, both played for the Lakers, and aside from older fans, not many give a crap. I mean, 12 years ago, watching a Magic video on YouTube I was reading the comment of a Kobe stan saying that if Magic played today (2007) he would have the ball taken away from him every time he dribbled.

Look at James Harden, in the main page right now there's a thread "Harden is averaging 40 over last 18 games" and another thread "James Harden has 36 points... at halftime."

The continue weakening of the rules will make Kobe's number seem like a common thing among top players. They will say things like, "Any player today can go back when this Kobe Bean Bryant was playing and put up better numbers. Weak era."

kareem never really had many fans. he was a boring big man. he had no real mystique

magic did and still does. hes one of the top 3-4 names ever to this day and is still worshipped by many. but its possible he's slipped in recent years because kobe outshined magic somewhat. his fanbase became even larger world wide than magics ever was.

kobes a god in china. i went to an asian restaurant a few months ago and this bus boy only knew 2 american words.. jordan and kobe

he over heared a convo me and my friend were having and he came over with a big smile and just kept saying their names and "wooo ahahah kobe!.. ya ya"

kobes legacy ( like i said ) is that of mickey mantles and can only grow. hes bigger than the nba