Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Healthy Kyrie vs prime Pippen in playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Dray n Klay
    Was Kyrie an all-star in 2016? No

Was Pippen an all star in 1990 and 1995? Yes

How did LeBron win with Kyrie and Jordan lose with Pippen those years?
    Kyrie[COLOR="White"]n..[/COLOR] 2016 Finals:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 27.1 ppg on 46.8%
    Pippen[COLOR="White"].[/color] 1995 ECSF:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 19.0 ppg on 40.9%
    Pippen[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 1990 [COLOR="White"]v[/COLOR]ECF:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 16.6 ppg on 42.6%

Jordan Stopper

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Kyrie[COLOR="White"]n..[/COLOR] 2016 Finals:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 27.1 ppg on 46.8%
    Pippen[COLOR="White"].[/color] 1995 ECSF:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 19.0 ppg on 40.9%
    Pippen[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 1990 [COLOR="White"]v[/COLOR]ECF:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 16.6 ppg on 42.6%

Which of them were all-stars?

Lol at posting politically-correct media quotes - do you think Phil or MJ would ever say "yeah, pippen's 15 ppg on 34% was worst-ever".. of course not.. but it was..
    of course not, they were pointing out how integral his defense was to their success/championships. why would they check the scoring $tats?

you think in '59 red auberach was like "yeah we won the championship because of bill's work on d and the boards... but bill only had 9 ppg on 32% "

or after the spurs swept the cavs in '07, pop was like "yeah thanks for completely shutting down bron and humiliating him to the tune of one of the worst performances in finals history... but you only had 6 ppg on 29.6%, bruce!!! "

and his horrific offense in most big series necessitated better defense from the bulls then they would otherwise need - it's statistical fact
    right, and pip was providing that better defense

He's BY FAR the worst offensive 2nd option of any dynasty, and the majority of champions
    come on now, tony parker had a 14 ppg on 38.6% performance in his first championship run.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude
    of course not, they were pointing out how integral his defense was to their success/championships. why would they check the scoring $tats?

you think in '59 [COLOR="Navy"]red auberach[/COLOR] was like "yeah we won the championship because of bill's work on d and the boards... but bill only had 9 ppg on 32% "

or after the spurs swept the cavs in '07, [COLOR="Navy"]pop was like[/COLOR] "yeah thanks for completely shutting down bron and humiliating him to the tune of one of the worst performances in finals history... but you only had 6 ppg on 29.6%, bruce!!! "
    Russell and Bowen were 4th options or worse and have nothing to do with the offense a 2nd option normally provides a dynasty and most champions, which pippen fell short of

So the auerbach and pop corollaries are funny but don't change the fact that pippen's horrific offense in most big series necessitated better defense from the bulls then they would otherwise need

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude

come on now, tony parker had a 14 ppg on 38.6% performance in his first championship run
    I never considered the Spurs a dynasty because their rings were spread out, never back-to-back - they snuck in during down years..

either way, pippen's offense is well below-average for a dynasty 2nd option, and less than the majority of champions, i.e. the 14' spurs.... maybe not the 03' spurs, but those spurs had a big 3 and more offensive depth overall

pippen's horrific offense in most big series necessitated better defense from the bulls then they would otherwise need
    again... pip was the one providing a major share of that defense. he played some of the best, most effective defense the league has ever seen during that stretch. and like i showed, his contemporaries- both with the bulls and opponents, recognized that at the time.

PIPPEN EARNING MASTER'S DEGREE IN DEFENSE

The NBA Finals always has been considered different from the other major team sports, where the outcome can change because of a great individual: a pitcher, say, or a goaltender.

Like Dominik Hasek against the world in the Olympics, or Sandy Koufax against the Yankees.

Or Scottie Pippen against the Utah Jazz.

[COLOR="Red"]"Scottie is floating," said John Stockton, Utah's star guard who contributed five turnovers to the Jazz's stunning total of 26 in the Bulls' 96-54 masterpiece Sunday in Game 3 of the NBA Finals. "Use whatever term you want. He's coming across . . . off his man. With his length and athleticism, we're letting him come across (to disrupt the Jazz offense). He certainly did it, and I thought he was a huge key with his defense."[/COLOR]

It was a defensive masterpiece by the Bulls, one unmatched in NBA history, not to mention Finals history. The Jazz's 54 points might have been just enough to beat the Green Bay Packers.

This wasn't a basketball game, it was Kerry Wood blowing away the Houston Astros. It was Bob Gibson in the World Series.

[COLOR="Red"]It was one man taking out a team.[/COLOR]

Oh, sure, this was a team effort by the Bulls. Ron Harper was wonderful in steering Stockton toward the baseline to limit the options on the Jazz's famed pick-and-roll. So was Michael Jordan, who took just 14 shots but still had 24 points to lead the Bulls

[COLOR="Red"]But it was mostly Pippen, who has thwarted the Jazz like no other player, never mind a whole team[/COLOR]. And his 10 points, four rebounds and four assists were only part of the story.

[COLOR="Red"]After the Bulls defeated the Jazz in the Finals last season, Stockton's summary was that the Jazz had no answer for Pippen[/COLOR]. Utah is still failing that test.

[COLOR="Red"]"The luxury for us is to have a defender like Scottie who can cover probably more than one situation at a time," coach Phil Jackson said.

"Play a man, play a play. And he's able to hang tight to whomever he is playing, if it's a (Greg) Foster or a (Bryon) Russell, (Greg) Ostertag. And recover to help on the defensive set so they can't operate. And he's big enough to handle (Karl) Malone outside off the pick-and-roll."[/COLOR]

If the Bulls win these Finals, Pippen should be the Most Valuable Player.

It's been a nice touch by Jackson, who has used Pippen somewhat differently the last two games.

In much of Game 1, Pippen played Russell, the Jazz's athletic forward who has turned reluctant shooter the last two games. Since then Pippen has been more of a power forward or even a center. That has enabled him to become sort of a free safety on defense.

He'll jump up to stop Stockton coming across and slow the Jazz, which likes to score off transition. Then Pippen falls back to a weaker offensive player--Ostertag or Foster--and is free to search out the Jazz's proclivities.

"A lot of times Phil wants me to be a help defender," Pippen said. "I'm trying to get them away from the basket and out of sets when I stop Stockton at the half-court mark. Defense is something I take a lot of pride in. In this series I'm playing more (power forward) or maybe (center)."

And he can be available at the basket--twice Pippen jumped over to take charges from Malone.

The Jazz obviously believes Pippen was in an illegal position on defense, but admitted to panicking, in a sense, by not holding the ball to make Pippen commit and then hitting the open man.

But Pippen has been too quick, his long arms and quick feet jarring the Jazz's usually strong resolve.

Something like this happened to the Jazz a month ago against a great Spurs defensive team. Utah scored 64 points in a Game 3 loss at San Antonio.

"John, Karl and myself all played terrible in that game," Jeff Hornacek recalled. "We all went to dinner in the team hotel and told each other, `You stink. No, you stink. No, you stink.' We could joke about it. That's the type of team we are."

It didn't appear the Jazz players were laughing Sunday. Coach Jerry Sloan and Malone both suggested the Bulls ran up the score at the end to try to embarrass them.

"If a game like this can't get you motivated to play, nothing else will," Malone said. "You watch the ending of a game like this, you should be ready to play the next game."

What the Jazz will do with Pippen, however, is the question.

[COLOR="Red"]"There have been terrific defenders in the history of the Finals," Jackson said. "You can go back to (Michael) Cooper for the Lakers, and Bobby Jones with the 76ers and other players who have played outstanding defense. The majority of those players are great one-on-one players. Scottie is able to be a one-man wrecking crew."[/COLOR]

-chicago tribune, 6/9/98
    ^from the time of the bulls last championship, not just somebody looking at a stat sheet 20 years later.

honestly, right now you're coming off like a manny or dray 'n klay with the 'buh buh buh the $tats' line of reasoning. nvm that the cavs got blown out in record fashion, the $tats say bron had the bestest finals evur. the eye test knows better.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Kyrie clearly contributed more to wins, b-b-but defense
    Long as you dont bring up defense in any other comparison of two players fine. But be consistent. If all time great defense doesnt matter it doesnt matter. Dont have it matter when you decide it does.

Who did better in the playoffs leading their respective team?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

For people who do accept defense as a part of basketball enjoy Kobes breakdown of Scotties defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOoWZNp0AlA

I think all rational people will find it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    Who did better in the playoffs leading their respective team?
    Irving was hurt. Next?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    For people who do accept defense as a part of basketball enjoy Kobes breakdown of Scotties defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOoWZNp0AlA

I think all rational people will find it interesting.
    one of my favorite mixes.

part i

part ii

Local High School Star Ainosterhaspie's Avatar

Kyrie[COLOR="White"]m[/COLOR] 16-17'[/url]:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 3.6 obpm.. -0.4 dbpm.. 3.1 bpm.. outplayed league mvp.. hit Finals-winning shot
    Pippen 91-96':[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 3.1 obpm... 3.6 dbpm.. 6.7 bpm.. outplayed by schrempf.. no winning shots
    So once you account for Kyrie's subpar defense, he contributes as much as Scottie and that's without taking into account Scottie's defense.

9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation
    Can Kyrie lead the Cavs to 55 wins without LeBron?
    Can Pippen lead the Bulls to 55 wins without Jordan?

Please respond.
    Since 3baLLLLL gonna duck this one Ill bite

No way in hell, dude averaged 33 games a season before Bron showed up

Absolutely in fact he did this in 94' season

Quote Originally Posted by And1AllDay
    Since 3baLLLLL gonna duck this one Ill bite

No way in hell, dude averaged 33 games a season before Bron showed up

Absolutely in fact he did this in 94' season
    but can pippen lead the bulls to a championship against the barkley suns without jordan... only to later lose against the same squad with jordan?