Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Intelligent fan

Default Re: Who's career will be regarded as better: Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Richie2k6
    Wrong. Remember Kobe dropped 81? Jordan only dropped 69. Therefore, Kobe = better. [/quote=kobe lovers]

Find me a quote that says that or implies that. Oh, that's right, you can't.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Duncan will, and always will, be known as a team player. His Rings, MVP's, and All-(Defensive, NBA) Teams can all be mentioned. As for Kobe..people are more into the scoring situation when it comes to a player. Kobe takes the game ball for that. People with intelligence would know that Duncan is obviously better and Kobe was just known for his offensive skillset.

Intelligent fan

Kobe was just known for his offensive skillset.
    Kobe is known as one of the best all around player in the game right now. 7 all defensive selections?

Learning to shoot layups starks's Avatar

If Duncan wins two more rings and Finals MVPs, he'll be regarded as an upgraded version of Bill Russell.

Kobe will be regarded as an upgraded version of Clydre Drexler.

Quote Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
    i still feel Tim Duncan will be reguarded as the better player because even today when we look back we still regard Bill Russell who was never flashy as one of the GOATS because of his accolades. hardly anyone remembers the flashy guards who helped win championships, they remember the big men with the MVPS and final MVPS.

what will bring kobe down is shaqs greatness. people will hold shaq to such high status because he has taken 3 teams to the finals that it will deminish kobes status UNLESS kobe can carry a team to a championship or two. people will say, well shaq was a top 5 center and he was the finals MVP all three times so he was the MAIN reason why they won, not kobe. actually i think all kobe needs is just ONE championship as "the man" and people will say he was the second best SG behind MJ and hardly anyone will question it besides kobe *****s.

when you look at the regular season MVPS, the finals MVPs, the all nba all defensive like everyone says, you have to think that this guy, tim duncan, must have been on hell of a player to accomplish so much.
    I agree...

If he wins 1 more, I think he could silence all the critics...Not even a regular season MVP award because that award has become a little weak over the last couple years....

He needs one more ring, and then it's a wrap because his road to a championship will probably be regarded as one of the, if not the toughest roads ever (physically and mentally speaking)

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Well, it doesnt help that Kobe has the GOAT at his position, and the second best at TD's position is Malone.

Serious playground baller dudeguykid's Avatar

hardly anyone remembers the flashy guards who helped win championships, they remember the big men with the MVPS and final MVPS.
    But people remember Wilt AND West or Kareem AND Magic. So I think even if Kobe doesnt get anymore rings he will still be remembered as one of the greatest shooting guards to play the game. Maybe top 3 maybe top 2.

But like someone said before we dont know how the next 7-9 years of their careers will go yet. Alot can happen in 7-9 years. If they both retired during this offseason then I would have to say Duncan.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dudeguykid
    But people remember Wilt AND West or Kareem AND Magic. So I think even if Kobe doesnt get anymore rings he will still be remembered as one of the greatest shooting guards to play the game. Maybe top 3 maybe top 2.

But like someone said before we dont know how the next 7-9 years of their careers will go yet. Alot can happen in 7-9 years. If they both retired during this offseason then I would have to say Duncan.
    certainly there are exceptions to everything. i was refering in general. thats why i said hardly anymore, not just everyone.

you also have to look at your wilt and west comparision. wilt is arguably the GOAT. noone mentions jerry west in that discussion. Magic has finals MVPs, he has waaay more personal AND team accolades than kobe.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by DLeagueWannabe
    I agree...

If he wins 1 more, I think he could silence all the critics...Not even a regular season MVP award because that award has become a little weak over the last couple years....

He needs one more ring, and then it's a wrap because his road to a championship will probably be regarded as one of the, if not the toughest roads ever (physically and mentally speaking)

It probably won't silence the critics.

Serious playground baller dudeguykid's Avatar

certainly there are exceptions to everything. i was refering in general. thats why i said hardly anymore, not just everyone.

you also have to look at your wilt and west comparision. wilt is arguably the GOAT. noone mentions jerry west in that discussion. Magic has finals MVPs, he has waaay more personal AND team accolades than kobe.
    I think Jerry West was regarded the GOAT shooting guard up until the 90s.
    and Magic was just a beast of a player. GOAT Point guard.

This isnt directed at you but I always see these threads here and i dont understand why people like to pass judements on players careers that are only 50% complete. Timmys probably going to play 6 or 7 more years and Kobes got about 8 or 9 left in him

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    In real life: Tim is the best player to ever play his position.

Kobe is not.

question was: Who's career will be regarded as better: Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant?

not who is the better player. most people outside of these NBA forums do not really know how good tim duncan really is. basically everyone other than the ****** know/think that Kobe is the best player in the NBA. While tim duncan rarely gets mentioned as top 5 for a casual NBA fan.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty
    question was: Who's career will be regarded as better: Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant?

not who is the better player. most people outside of these NBA forums do not really know how good tim duncan really is. basically everyone other than the ****** know/think that Kobe is the best player in the NBA. While tim duncan rarely gets mentioned as top 5 for a casual NBA fan.
    good point. players like to see flash, and entertaining plays. i bet casual fans think amare and dwight are better than duncan and thats fine. thats their right and opinion... but why waste your time arguing with that person?

i agree with you dudeguykid that everyone should wait until the careers are over, buts more fun to predict and to debate the unpredictable. when careers are over all you have to look at is facts, and if its lopsided then it doesnt make for interesting debates.

russell had a better career but people still put wilt over him.
    bill walton had more accomplishments than willis reed but people still remember reed for his dramatic enterance.
    people remember players who create memories and thats a fact. tim duncan doesnt do anything out of the ordinary besides keep winning. kobe on the other hand gives you those amazing shots, and strings of 40-50 point games that people will remember.

i guess you cant say who will be remembered as better, because to the knowledgeable nba fan it will be tim duncan, but you can say who will be more memorable and that has to be kobe bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Well that's fine, but those aren't "accolades." It's excitement, pizazz, what have you.
    I've always considered indivudual achievements or performances "individual accolades." Big O's tripple double season... individual accolade. Wilt's 100 point game and 50 ppg season, individual accolade. Anything that brings praise, recognition or honor to an individual player, I'd consider an individual accolade... basically a salient exploit that garners or, at the very least, deserves recognition or praise.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    Kobe Bryant:

3 titles

Tim Duncan:

About to get his fourth title.

But the difference is that Kobe had a superstar during his run, while TD will have gotten two titles with two very good players - Tony Parker and Manu Ginobilli - but those two aren't superstars.
    You just answered your own question with that bolded part.... seriously, how is this a question?

Kobe has almost zero shot to catch Duncan at the all time rankings.

i still feel Tim Duncan will be reguarded as the better player because even today when we look back we still regard Bill Russell who was never flashy as one of the GOATS because of his accolades.
    It's important to note that many regard Wilt as the better player of the two because of the amazing individual numbers he put up, inspite of Bill Russel's 11 rings. I'm not sure too many people would take Russel over Wilt if we had to choose.