Page 11 of 84 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161 ... LastLast

Default Re: The 2017 off-season...Hayward, Hill, Ingles...?

Celtics seem pretty confident on getting Hayward. Will make the off-season an interesting one if he does leave.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWad3
    Wins and the fact that the defense of both is nothing compared to Gobert. Defense is half the game, and Gobert happens to be the premiere player at that end of the floor, and he is the third most efficient offensive player in the league to boot. He should definitely cement himself as better in the minds of most next season when he improves even more so than he already has.
    Not playing for France this year for the first time since the Jazz got him. Look what just a short time off last year while France was qualifying for the olympics did for him! We'll see the face up and post game next year.

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWad3
    Yeah I'd do my best to keep Hill too. No other pg on the roster will do, and Exum might be better off as a 2-guard. While he was injured a lot this season, they were almost all freak injuries like getting nailed in the head every other week, never a recurring problem with any particular part outside of his toe.

I don't know if Diaw's option is team or player, gotts check that out. I'd let him go regardless though seeing as Bolomboy and Lyles both need minutes, and I really think the Jazz should try and go back to the Favors/Gobert lineup even though David Locke doesn't think it's viable anymore.

As for Burks, while it would be nice to see him play, I think if the opportunity presents itself to unload him in order to keep Ingles/Hill, I think they should go for it. Will cost more than just unloading Alec though.
    Diaw has a team option. They have until Jul 15th to decide. They should know about Hayward and Hill by then maybe Ingles. But I think you have to let him go regardless. Maybe sign him to a cheaper deal for an end of the bench role. He wasn't consistent enough to be in the rotation. They can use him as a trade piece before Jul 15 too!

I think you start the season with Favors and Gobert. Hopefully Favors shows he can play again because he could still have a ton of value with him being eligible for an extension and not just an expiring deal. If Hayward leaves they might have to stick with Favors and even sign him to an extension but Locke is probably right. We never got to see Favors at 100% all year so it's hard to say for sure though. Maybe the Warriors would have had a hard time matching up with a healthy Jazz team playing big? We don't know for sure. Diaw definitely was better than Johnson against them. Diaw plays more of a stretch four but can also bang down low.

They don't have to unload anyone to sign their guys. They can go into the season over the tax line. Just need to be under the tax line at the end of the year. Can trade guys to Philly before the break for picks if it comes down to it. Johnson, Diaw and Ingles are the guys I'm looking at to keep the payroll down(that's probably 30 million or so depending on what Ingles gets) and later on you can look at Favors, Burks and maybe others. I'd see if Burks can come back this summer. He didn't look bad to me this year and he says he wasn't close to 100%. Needs to get his leg stronger this summer. See what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Celtics seem pretty confident on getting Hayward. Will make the off-season an interesting one if he does leave.
    He says winning is most important not money. If he means that it's Boston to me. They have better young talent with more on the way and more depth on their roster. They also might get Butler too! But the biggest thing to me is that they will spend whatever it takes to win titles.

It's possible that the new Legacy Trust will allow the Jazz to go into the tax since the profits of the team are supposed to go back into the team but we'll have to see how that goes. i'm not counting on things changing in Utah. The things in Utah's favor would be Gobert which is the big thing Boston is missing right now and maybe Snyder who has helped make Hayward a better player. Also Johnnie Bryant is the guy he works out with. I'd rather live here than Boston especially in the winter. Hayward is in San Diego now so I'm not sure his family would like a Boston winter.

Before the playoffs I wasn't sure I wanted him to get 30% of the max but we saw a Hayward we had never seen and you have to pay him whatever he wants and maybe even sign Ingles if he wants. Hopefully if he does stay in Utah he will leave some money on the table so they can put a team around him and Rudy and hopefully Hill.

[QUOTE]Gordon Hayward will be a free agent this summer, and buzz regarding a reunion with Brad Stevens is starting to ramp up. According to The Vertical

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5307558...dennis-lindsey

Beyond drafting Trey Burke, Utah general manager Dennis Lindsey has made very few missteps during the last five years of what has been a meticulous rebuild. He has gathered assets, his staff has developed players, he has lured some key free agents and pulled off some shrewd trades.
    Come on! He let their best player go to start the rebuild not to mention Demarre. Millsap it has been reported that they have wanted him back since. He drafted Exum and Lyles. He left 14 million and an exception on the table this year. They got lucky with Gobert. If not for that I could see them being in the same place as Orlando and he and Snyder might be looking for work and Hayward would have been traded already and the tanking would have continued. This summer he needs to show what he can do now that the money isn't unlimited anymore. Why can't we just let people prove themselves instead of claiming greatness all the time?

Lindsey knows the roster he has built is capable of more. Should Hayward stay and the team remains reasonably healthy, a 55- or 60-win season could be in the cards, along with a push beyond the second round of the postseason.
    How will you put a team around the big 2 now though? We saw against GS they are not really deep and they need a lot of help and it will likely have to be done cheaply

He has $13 million in cap space he has to use by July 1.
    He doesn't have to but it might keep me quiet anyway! If he can do something big with that at the draft it might be big for Hayward

he has an ownership group in the Miller family that has given him the financial freedom to make the moves needed to keep things rolling.
    Rolling as long as they don't pay tax?

"We feel the quality of this team was that of a three seed.
    I think they were probably a top 3 or 4 team in the league but could have been better. 13 million and an exception! Can they get better is the question? Have they peaked before they got rolling?

we wanted health to supersede seeding."
    Yet health killed them anyway!

The Jazz have others who are entering free agency. Point guard George Hill is coming off a solid statistical season that was cut short by a nagging toe injury. Lindsey wants him back, but also knows the market may be robust for a veteran of his caliber.

"George is obviously a good fit," Lindsey said. "We want to let him rest and recover, and then we want to have open and honest conversations. George is a terrific player and a terrific guy. He's one of my pride and joys. If he gets a crazy offer somewhere else, we won't have one poor thought about him. There's also a very good chance we're each other's best option come July."
    So they aren't giving George the max or the 5 years they could give him! An open and honest conversation means we want you but not that much?
    Lindsey has always been known as a patient and calculating general manager. The Jazz are at a crossroad this summer. Will they emerge as an even stronger contender? Or, like ongoing construction at Vivint Smart Home Arena and the Zions Banks Basketball Center, will Lindsey have to build again?

Can't really be patient anymore. You're always going to be building

http://saltcityhoops.com/hayward-wat...rn-conference/

With the basketballs back on the rack and the locker stalls cleaned out, the next six and a half weeks in Utah Jazz territory will primary be about three things:

Gordon. Daniel. Hayward.
    Hill is big too as we saw in the GS series. Two guys isn't enough to get it done

How much do Jazz fans need to worry? Here’s a look at the threat level behind all 29 of Utah’s competitors, starting today with the Eastern Conference.
    Every team! He says it's about winning and really he could demand a sign and trade for any of them if he wanted. Going to this for Hill as well? That might be more interesting

It really all depends on Paul Millsap. If he walks, the Hawks will have the ability to create a max slot, but only if they make restricted free agent Tim Hardaway Jr. wait for his payday. If Millsap opts in, or if he opts out but the Hawks keep his rights, Atlanta will probably operate as an exceptions team.
    Millsap is the one guy that may be an even better fit than Hill. Would love to get him back and it seems possible actually

they can easily get to Hayward’s $30.3M number by offloading a role player or two.
    They could do a sign and trade and the Jazz may even get something useful in return. Celts are loaded with young talent

So the case could be laid out to Hayward that, when you back out all the games missed by key players, the Jazz are already ahead of the Celtics.
    They are but may have peaked while the Celts aren't close and will keep spending until they are. That's the big difference that I see

Why Jazz fans should be afraid: Hayward already signed a contract with Charlotte once: the 2014 max offer sheet that Utah matched. That at least adds some intrigue in that we know the Hornets once like Gordon and he liked them back.
    That was about money not winning. He knew the Jazz would match

And even if Hayward said yes, it’s a non-starter unless the Jazz are interested in taking salary back from the Hornets — why would they aid and abet Charlotte in stealing their own franchise star away from them?
    Because Hayward says that's who he wants to play for and you possibe get something in return even if it's not much.

The Cavs just don’t have a means of adding Hayward.
    Love for Hayward I imagine. I'd take Love if Hayward wants to be there

People forget that these dudes are human, and the opportunity for Hayward, a family man, to raise his two daughters close to his family has to be a little appealing, right?
    But it's Indiana. He's living in San Diego at the moment for good reason!

However, it could be argued that their three best players are all naturally wings: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Khris Middleton and Jabari Parker2. Hard to imagine where Hayward fits there, unless the Bucks just decide that with enough length and skill, they can just be a glorious, positionless, chaotic mass of arms.
    Play all 4 with Maker. Could be something else actually! Parker is co ming off another knee injury too

http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/18...ordon-hayward/

They also have more potential for internal growth with Rudy Gobert and youngsters Rodney Hood, Dante Exum and Trey Lyles yet to hit their peaks.
    Have you looked at the Celtics young guys with 2 high lottery picks still to go and more guys stashed away?

The Los Angeles Lakers have worked out Cal State Fullerton guard Tre

[QUOTE]Spencer Checketts: Text from NBA Executive:

[QUOTE]Seven-foot-six sophomore Tacko Fall of Central Florida headlines a group of six prospects who will audition for Jazz brass at Zions Bank Basketball Center.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Rawle-Alkins-82169/

Pretty long for his height but maybe not so much for his position, athletic

both look like 2nd rounders