Page 100 of 110 FirstFirst ... 5090979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1650
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2016-17 regular season!

Jody Genessy: The Jazz will be without Derrick Favors, George Hill and Raul Neto tonight. Gordon Hayward participated in shootaround but is questionable. – via Twitter DJJazzyJody

Aaron Falk: Sorry to not clarify earlier, Alec Burks is back with the team and expected to play tonight – via Twitter tribjazz

I'm really hoping Rudy doesn't get a block so Boler can shut up about the streak

[QUOTE]KC Johnson: (Dwayne Wade

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWad3
    I'm really hoping Rudy doesn't get a block so Boler can shut up about the streak
    indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Jazz could have the cap space to do it but not sure they have the assets other than Rudy
    I really wouldn't want Wade even though he's my favorite player. David Locke has lots of of compelling stats/evidence that Wade is a detriment to teams nowadays instead of helping, at least in a more featured role. If he can make a Joe Johnson-esque role player change then maybe it'd be a good acquisition. Too much money and too much to give up though

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWad3
    I really wouldn't want Wade even though he's my favorite player. David Locke has lots of of compelling stats/evidence that Wade is a detriment to teams nowadays instead of helping, at least in a more featured role. If he can make a Joe Johnson-esque role player change then maybe it'd be a good acquisition. Too much money and too much to give up though
    I posted that for Butler not Wade. Wade might be nice in a 6th man's role when he's ready for that.

Paul George and Jimmy Butler were involved in trade rumors at the deadline, and all indications are that those conversations will resume this offseason. One front-office source told me recently that Butler is

Chris Miller: Both Derrick Favors (Knee) and George Hill (groin) ruled out Friday vs. @Washington Wizards #DCFamily #WizJazz

http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjaz...er-sacramento/

Shelvin Mack came off the bench and was key in the victory.
    and Exum sucks. That must hurt some people

Sometimes, the deals not made are the most important. It was highly anticipated that the Jazz would trade Shelvin Mack at the deadline. That never happened. Tonight, the no-deal turned into a big deal for the Jazz. There is value in having someone on the bench who knows your system and knows what your coach wants. If the Jazz had traded Mack, they very well may lose this game, which seems insane to say in a 30-point blowout. But without Hill and Neto, Utah needed Mack. The Jazz were negative when Exum was on the floor until garbage time. Mack was the key to the win tonight.
    If they had spent the 14 million in cap space they could have had a lot better team. I think there was nothing to lose. This team is likely out in the first round unless they drop to 6th but with 14 million in talent plus their exception on a buyout who knows? At least a 2nd round battle and then anything can happen.

One has to wonder if the wing rotation will be much deeper than Hayward, Hood and Ingles in the playoffs. If Hayward ups his minutes to 36 or even up to 40 and Hood can manage 32 with Ingles playing about 28, there are no more minutes.
    Johnson could play their some if Favors comes back. Hill and Rxum could play their if Mack and Neto are in the mix. I still think Alec has a lot to offer. Don't really see the big difference between him and Hood other than Hood went to Duke and Alec has a better all-around game.

[QUOTE]Jeff Withey has been giving the Jazz a really big 14 minutes a night. He

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43682746&nid...-jazz-vs-kings

What changed the tide? Believe it or not, it was the play of Boris Diaw and Shelvin Mack, both pretty unlikely heroes.
    Mack was huge for them last year. He almost got them to the playoffs. Amazing that as soon as they got Hill that was all forgotten. Diaw has been playing well too and makes almost 10 million a year. He's had a couple other nice stretches this year. He's won a title. Unlikely?

Mack, I think, thrives on coming into an unstable situation and showing himself to be a class above the competition quickly. After all, that's what he did when he was first traded to Utah, when he immediately won the starting point guard spot after just one game coming off the bench.
    That hurt them initially. I think they should have just left him on the bench and they probably would have made the playoffs.

Quin Snyder did something you don't see very often at this level of basketball: he made a sub after just two minutes of play, taking out Dante Exum and putting in Shelvin Mack.
    Did it all the time the past two years. Think that is the 2nd time this year

Knowing that he'd be without his two first-choice point guards, Snyder preached ball security and playing defensively with Exum and Mack at shootaround today. Then, at the first opportunity, Exum got himself caught up in the air and turned the ball over.

When this happened, Snyder called Mack in, and as Exum went to the bench, he asked his assistants to scoot over, making room for Exum to sit right next to the head coach. I asked Snyder what he told Exum.

"I want Dante to be aggressive. I trust what he's doing defensively. When he's attacking, I want him to attack with that aggression," Snyder started. "But he's got to take care of the ball. That's true of any of our guys. Particularly if he's out there with Gordon and Rodney. I think he knows that and he's working at it, there's just a couple of plays that I'd have him be more conservative then try to make a play in a tough spot."
    Hayward does that stuff all the time!

did it work? Well, Exum didn't exactly set the world on fire after the conversation. The Kings played 10 feet off of him, giving him space to shoot. He made the right play (shoot it!) but never made any of the shots. But, on the other hand, Exum also turned the ball over again only one more time, and on a completely different kind of play.

And, was it the right thing to do? Personally, I like these kind of teaching moments, where there's a quick conversation that happens and then the player goes back out to try to apply what he's learned.
    That's the biggest problem with him. No one will guard him and force him to shoot if they are smart anyway. No way anyone should be letting him get to the rim. A couple of his shots were in and out though.

[QUOTE]Still messes w/ his confidence. When other guys make mistakes, they don't get called to the principal's office mid-game. https://twitter.com/eldiablov90/stat...79182778204161

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=304&sid=4368...f-kings-112-82

Mack had missed four games recently with a sprained ankle and played only three minutes in his first game back Monday. He was needed against the Kings with guards George Hill and Raul Neto each out with strained groins.

"He (Mack) had five deflections, and that's what we want from the guys on the bench," Utah coach Quin Snyder said. "They come in and they do that, and the offense sometimes just takes care of itself."

Wasn't it more games than that? He was leading the team in steals before he lost the back-up role.

BLOCK STREAK ENDS FOR GOBERT

Gobert leads the NBA in blocked shots per game, but he had zero against the Kings, halting a string of 42 straight games with at least one or more, dating to Dec. 23. The streak was sixth longest in franchise history.
    So now Boler will be back to double double streak?

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43676952&nid...o-out-vs-kings

I had noticed Hill tweaking his groin on Saturday against the Clippers, but when I asked Hill about the injury Monday, he said "I don't remember that", insisted he was fine, and made me doubt whether anything had happened at all. And of course, he came out and played well at home, scoring 17 points. For him to be out Wednesday means that something really did happen there.

And Neto is even more surprising, because he looked great in his point guard minutes Monday, even finishing the game.
    When did Neto get hurt? He probably played through it because he knows he may never play again if he goes back to the bench.

Derrick Favors is still out with his knee contusion that's saddled him since early March. Favors did not participate in shootaround, but did work on standstill shooting afterwards. No timeline for his return has been released by the Jazz, and frankly, I'm not sure they know of one internally either.
    Doesn't sound like he's close. Good thing they have 14 million in cap space though!

Joe Ingles threw his hat in, saying he wanted to play point guard too, but Exum squashed that idea.

"There's not a depth chart. It's not like football, where there's a QB1 and a QB2, that's not how it works," Snyder said. "It has much more to do with other factors."
    Alec and 3 wings could have worked as well.

When Rodney Hood's out, that's like 20 points on a given night."
    Or less since he averages what 13?

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5117367...-burks-on-hand

[QUOTE]Utah played without starting power forward Derrick Favors, who has missed the past 11 games with a knee contusion. But the plan, league sources tell The Tribune

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nt-next-season

Gordon Hayward's free agency (player option) stands to have a trickle-down effect on the Utah Jazz.

If he stays, Utah has enough incentive to foot the bill for George Hill and Joe Ingles (restricted). If he leaves, the flood gates will swiftly open. Paying top dollar for Hill and Ingles won't make as much sense if Hayward's departure effectively triggers a rebuild centered around Rudy Gobert.
    My guess is they will try to tank again if Hayward bolts which I think is very possible. But as we've seen it's hard to tank with Rudy in the line-up. I'd still keep Hill and Ingles for the right price though they may want to go elsewhere if Hayward leaves. I think they could still be really good especially if Favors and Burks return to form and some of their young guys finally step up and they make some other moves with the 30 million they won't be paying Hayward.

Substantial turnover will be unavoidable even if the Jazz don't lose Hayward.
    Which is why I don't get not being all in this year?

Hayward is almost certainly opting out of the last year of his deal to sign a max contract this summer that will pay him $30.1 million in the first season.
    He could opt in and go for a much bigger deal next summer.

Even if Hill gives the Jazz a bargain and signs for below the max, those two players would make up for over half the cap.
    Is he a bargain at that rate though? Healthy he probably is. Some of those other guys that were written about recently are intriguing replacements.

The rest of the contracts that would still be on the books for next season (including the first year of Gobert's extension that will pay him $21.2 million) puts the Jazz in luxury tax conversations.
    and Ingles needs to be signed ahead of any of those other contracts besides Rudy of course

Dante Exum and Rodney Hood are extension-eligible this summer as well. There is no feasible scenario in which Utah enters the season after next with both of them, Hill and Alec Burks. At least one of the remaining three becomes chopping-block fodder if Hill returns.
    Can't see Hood being around after next season if they sign Hayward, Hill and Ingles. He will cost too much. Maybe none of those guys. Ty Wallace may be the back-up

Derrick Favors is already trade bait. The Jazz shopped him ahead of February's deadline, per Lowe, and won't be able to pay him along with everyone else who's up for a raise. Plus, they have played some of their best basketball when surrounding Gobert with four shooters. Favors runs counter to that model unless he's coming off the bench at the 5.
    He's an expensive back-up 5. He'll start next year with them to show he's healthy. Gone by the trade deadline if they sign their big free agents. If he returns to form and Hayward is gone he may get an extension.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...op-scorer.html

[QUOTE]When asked if it's a good thing that Gobert has been the leading scorer or if it means scorers like Gordon Hayward, Rodney Hood and George Hill haven