Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Better Finals performance: 2010 Kobe or 2011 Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Bad argument when Nowitzki went like 9/27 in game 6 and got bailed out by Jason Terry.

Stop hating.
    In what was is 9-27 close to 6-24? Stop hating, fool

Default Re: Dirk or Kobe, All Time?

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Dirk has absolutely no argument over Kobe all time. What's AW's argument?
    Huh? Being a better, more productive playoff performer, elimination game, game 7, and 4th quarter player? More impactful, easier going leader, whom teammates more easily shine next to? A superior offensive thread with his spacing creation? FAR better longevity which is ALREADY Kobe's calling card?

Lol at no argument.. get real bro.

I'd give Dirk the comfortable edge here.

Yes, Kobe faced a much feistier defense and Dirk had his woeful shooting stretches, too, but that isn't enough to contextualize who had the more effectual impact on their teams.

When Dirk went into his shooting doldrums, he at least was playing team-systematic basketball; Kobe, on the other hand, wasn't nearly as shot-selective and thus struggled to his team's detriment. Dirk's cold-handed shooting didn't have any good immediate impact on his team, either, but he did have a better residual impact by letting his team's offense flow instead of being subjugated by his own shot-shocking; the on- and off-court differentials for Dirk that series proves that, as he was still sorely missed whenever he was benched.

Moreover, while their scoring efficiencies are important, it's even more paramount to consider when they scored their points; Dirk easily wins in that regard, as he consistently came up big down the stretch--a microcosm of his magical post-season run.

Three of the Mavericks' wins entailed huge fourth-quarter comebacks, which Miami was visibly demoralized from--especially LeBron, who went into his infamous funk for the rest of the series after the 15-point mid-fourth-quarter collapse in Game 2. Without Dirk's clutch-play, the Mavericks easily would have been swept.

Kobe was still easily the better-overall Finals-performer, but I have no problem giving Dirk the nod here.

4-0 VS Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Naero
    I'd give Dirk the comfortable edge here.

Yes, Kobe faced a much feistier defense and Dirk had his woeful shooting stretches, too, but that isn't enough to contextualize who had the more effectual impact on their teams.

When Dirk went into his shooting doldrums, he at least was playing team-systematic basketball; Kobe, on the other hand, wasn't nearly as shot-selective and thus struggled to his team's detriment. Dirk's cold-handed shooting didn't have any good immediate impact on his team, either, but he did have a better residual impact by letting his team's offense flow instead of being subjugated by his own shot-shocking; the on- and off-court differentials for Dirk that series proves that, as he was still sorely missed whenever he was benched.

Moreover, while their scoring efficiencies are important, it's even more paramount to consider when they scored their points; Dirk easily wins in that regard, as he consistently came up big down the stretch--a microcosm of his magical post-season run.

Three of the Mavericks' wins entailed huge fourth-quarter comebacks, which Miami was visibly demoralized from--especially LeBron, who went into his infamous funk for the rest of the series after the 15-point mid-fourth-quarter collapse in Game 2. Without Dirk's clutch-play, the Mavericks easily would have been swept.

Kobe was still easily the better-overall Finals-performer, but I have no problem giving Dirk the nod here.
    Besides the last paragraph (Kobe played at 2010 level for most of his finals series')

Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    In what was is 9-27 close to 6-24? Stop hating, fool
    One shot 25% ... The other 33%. Both are terrible.

One faced a game 7 do or die elimination game where EVERYONE shot poorly, and was a defensive affair.

One got carried by another player all game. Significantly. Out scored and everything.

One was his team's leading scorer.

Oh and the small guard out rebounded the 7 foot Flower Foward.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    4-0 VS Kobe

33% is better than 25%. So....less terrible. Which is the point. That's the comparison.

If this is too confusing for you, allow to me to dumb it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    33% is better than 25%. So....less terrible. Which is the point. That's the comparison.

If this is too confusing for you, allow to me to dumb it down.
    Go over there and paint that fool a picture He dont understand

How did this even merit turning into a discussion?

Kobe is easily the more well-accomplished and skilled player; even some of the more rabid Kobe-detractors on this site--which says much, considering how much of a cesspool this has turned into--would be scared to argue otherwise.

The only conceivable argument he has over Kobe is impact-wise; I'll give him that much, especially considering how much the Mavericks languished whenever he was sidelined in the championship 2010-11 season. However, Dirk has shrunk in too many big moments--namely the playoffs, where one's stock can really pivot on--that I'd be hesitant to draft him over Kobe.

What's their playoff h2h folks?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Naero

How did this even merit turning into a discussion?

Kobe is easily the more well-accomplished and skilled player; even some of the more rabid Kobe-detractors on this site--which says much, considering how much of a cesspool this has turned into--would be scared to argue otherwise.

The only conceivable argument he has over Kobe is impact-wise; I'll give him that much, especially considering how much the Mavericks languished whenever he was sidelined in the championship 2010-11 season. However, Dirk has shrunk in too many big moments--namely the playoffs, where one's stock can really pivot on--that I'd be hesitant to draft him over Kobe.
    Kobe has more off series' than any top 15 ATG ever, so many off series' its hard to call them an off series anymore

From '00-'04 he shot 44% or below in every but one playoff run

Good college starter

Dirk Nowitzki (September 6th, 2006):

"It was bitter that Kobe Bryant got injured. His presence alone would have been enough to win the tournament. That's the level I see him on. To me he is the best player in the world right now. That guy doesn't know fear at all. He doesn't care. He would have won it for the Americans single-handedly."

Source:
    http://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/po...ged-everything

Dirk Nowitzki (March 3rd, 2008):

“To me, he’s the best player in the league. They’re the best team right now, so he definitely deserves it (the MVP).”

Source:

http://sportsreport.freedomblogging....2%80%99s-vote/

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=57174

Dirk Nowitzki (March 18th, 2008):

[on 2008 MVP]

“That's tough. LeBron certainly has a case in the East. On the Celtics, KG has had a great year. And in the West, to me it's been Kobe, the way he's been scoring, really setting the tone every night for his team, and to me he's the best player in the league anyway, scoring-wise and all-around player. I'd probably give it to Kobe. Those three definitely deserve it.”

Source:
    http://www.insidehoops.com/dirk-says-kobe-031808.shtml

Dirk Nowitzki (March 28th, 2008):

[on Kobe 2008 MVP]

"He's the best player in the game and he's never won it before. He's had his injuries, his team [has] had injuries and they're still right up there in the West. They just beat us without [Pau] Gasol and [Andrew] Bynum. I think this is his time."

Source:
    http://www.espn.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080715test

Dirk Nowitzki (December 17th, 2014):

“He’s probably the greatest player in my generation that I played against. Obviously Shaq was very dominant, Tim Duncan was great, but I just loved watching Kobe. I don’t think there will ever be another MJ, but he’s definitely as close as it gets that we’ll ever see.

Source:
    http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/mave...-my-generation

Dirk Nowitzki (November 30th, 2015):

"To me, he’s probably the greatest player I’ve faced. And I’ve faced some great players with Tim Duncan and Shaq and all these guys. But he was something else, just scoring-wise, the shot-making ability was incredible. I was always a big fan.”

Source:
    http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dall...s-announcement

Dirk Nowitzki (January 26th, 2016):

“Like I said this entire time, he’s our Michael Jordan for my generation. He is one of the best to lace them up, and it’s been a pleasure and an honor to compete against him basically almost my entire career.

Source:
    http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/160413_kobepeers?cid=tw
    https://youtu.be/PUca7OUzIEg
    Last edited by IllegalD; 09-10-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Kobe has more off series' than any top 15 ATG ever, so many off series' its hard to call them an off series anymore

From '00-'04 he shot 44% or below in every but one playoff run
    Oh my goodness!

What's their career playoffs h2h btw?