Banned

Exclamation Hillary Swagger Jacks Bernie Again- Healthcare This Time

Whatever it takes.

Hillary Clinton to back public option for health care

In an apparent concession to Bernie Sanders, presumptive Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton plans to back the creation of a "public-option insurance plan" under Obamacare and allow Americans at the age of 55 to enroll in Medicare.

Clinton's campaign announced the subtle platform shift in a statement Saturday, saying the proposals affirm the candidate's "career-long fight to achieve universal health care coverage for Americans." It is the first time she has formally endorsed a public option health care plan since entering the White House race.

The former secretary of state will "affirm her commitment to give Americans in every state the choice of a public-option insurance plan, something she has supported during this campaign and going back to her 2008 presidential campaign," the statement read.

Of Medicare expansion, Clinton said she would also commit to "allowing individuals below the Medicare age to opt in to the program -- a proposal she first cosponsored legislation on in 2001 as a senator -- by providing the option to those 55 and older."

The campaign also promised that as president, Clinton would double funding for primary care services at medical clinics that primarily serve low-income communities.

"We have more work to do to finish our long fight to provide universal, quality, affordable health care to everyone in America," Clinton said in the statement. "Already, the Affordable Care Act has expanded coverage to 20 million Americans. As president, I will make sure Republicans never succeed in their attempts to strip away their care and that the remaining uninsured should be able to get the affordable coverage they need to stay healthy."

The Clinton proposals represent a further shift towards the policies of her Democratic primary rival, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, who has yet to declare his support for Clinton's presidential candidacy -- though he has said he would still vote for the former secretary of state come November.

In a call with reporters Saturday morning, Sanders congratulated Clinton for the proposals and called it "a significant step forward" in expanding healthcare access for tens of thousands of Americans.

Sanders has said before that an endorsement for Clinton would only be forthcoming if she adjusted her policy platforms on health care, education, and minimum wage -- though source close to the Clinton campaign told CBS News Thursday that Sanders would endorse Clinton at an event in New Hampshire next week.

"I want her to say among other things, we have a crisis in higher education -- public universities and colleges should be tuition free. Raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour," Sanders told "CBS This Morning" in late June. "I believe that health care should be a right of all people. I would love her to say that and I would love her to move aggressively to make that happen."

Earlier this week, Clinton rolled out a new college affordability plan that seemed to take into account Sanders' own policy positions. The proposal would make public college tuition-free for families that make less than $125,000 per year.

While Clinton has not publicly backed a federal $15/hour minimum wage, the Democratic National Committee agreed late Friday night to include this proposal in their official party platform.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hillary-...r-health-care/

Might as well make Bernie the Dem nominee at this point if she's just going to hijack his entire platform.

Default Re: Hillary Swagger Jacks Bernie Again- Healthcare This Time

I think I'll just be staying home this November

Finally. This is great news... (Not just this in particular, but the way the entire Dem platform is shaping up)

You could take it as proof that the American political system may not be as terrible as we think - it's doing exactly what it's supposed to, adapting to changing times.

For those who would criticize Hillary for this, you have to realize there are two types of politicians: conviction politicians, who change the terms of the debate, and career-oriented politicians, who are ideologically flexible and will do "whatever it takes", as DonDadda puts it, to form a winning coalition.

Hillary is obviously the latter type, but each has a role to play in a democracy. Good career politicians make the system work by stealing ideas from the true believers, helping the system adapt organically without a need for "revolution" (or counter-revolution).

One thing that made me suspicious of Hillary earlier is that she just wasn't very good at being a career politician. It was as if she couldn't understand that the times have changed, and people (including, and this is key, her own voters) are looking for something radically different from the 90s.

Now it looks as though she finally gets it. She's doing it out of pure self interest, but who cares - responding to popular demand out of naked self interest is the entire purpose of a career politician.

When politicians are too slow to adapt to the needs of the population (usually due to democracy's number one competitor: the corrupting influence of money) you'll eventually get a Trump. The Barrosos of the world exist in a symbiotic relationship with the right-wing populists... only radical reformers can break that dynamic.

This isn't just about left and right. It's about conflict management, and how to preserve a society from self-destruction.
    Last edited by BoutPractice; 07-09-2016 at 02:11 PM.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    I think I'll just be staying home this November

how much do you pay for health insurance?

Oh that's right, your either a 40 year old pervert on medicaid or a 17 year old kid still on your parents plan.

Talk to me when you have to spend almost a grand a month on health insurance premiums.

Good luck with that. What happened to Mrs. Clinton's last healthcare plan? Does anyone remember?

good. this country desperately needs some kind of affordable healthcare option

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I hope she means it. Unfortunately I'm not sure that she'll be able to pass that even if she's telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    how much do you pay for health insurance?

Oh that's right, your either a 40 year old pervert on medicaid or a 17 year old kid still on your parents plan.

Talk to me when you have to spend almost a grand a month on health insurance premiums.
    Meltdown

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Bernie Wins!
    America Wins!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32
    Bernie Wins!
    That old cranky f*cker played this one beautifully. Held the Dems hostage, refused to endorse until they gave in to all his demands ($15 min. wage, free college, public option, etc). Now he will officially endorse Hillary on Tuesday after she basically became him.

Bern definitely did win here.

Decent college freshman

Hillary is way more likable than Trump.

Only a deplorable would think that Trump is more likable than Clinton (and it's not like she is a great person).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woke View Post

Only a deplorable would think that Trump is more likable than Clinton (and it's not like she is a great person).
    eggsactly. plus, i heard the clintons have a killer squad behind them

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woke View Post

your hyper reality and labeling does not work in the reality.

mature discussion does not work with "only idiots would take this guy".

you have so much to learn