Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: So, do the Thunder trade Russell now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bond007
    i dont know how to feel about trading ingram+russell or randle for westbrook now. Can Snag him next year . Lakers were prepared to Max a player for 2017. want to see how these young core play together 1st
    That's a good point, but what if a team like Boston makes a push and forces the Lakers' hand?

yeah no way lakers do russel+ingram
    MAYBE russel+randle, the only real reason to trade for WB is that you can offer that 5th year that no other team can

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bond007
    i dont know how to feel about trading ingram+russell or randle for westbrook now. Can Snag him next year . Lakers were prepared to Max a player for 2017. want to see how these young core play together 1st
    This is why keeping two max slots available should have been so important to the Lakers. You never know what can happen...and you want to retain that cap flexibility.

Russ might not want to go there alone...but maybe he'd go there with another max player joining him.

If you don't trade for him...you can't offer his full salary

LOL...Moz / Deng

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    That's a good point, but what if a team like Boston makes a push and forces the Lakers' hand?
    WB would still be a UFA next year though right? Why would he lock himself out of free agency?

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Is there somebody worth signing to "replace" Durant in OKC? Any good SF left?

They have two options as far as I see it.

1. Restructure and sign him long term this off-season.

2. Trade him.

If they lose Westbrook for nothing at the end of next season after Durant this year they are screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by QuebecBaller
    Is there somebody worth signing to "replace" Durant in OKC? Any good SF left?
    The Kyle Singler era has begun

Honestly, they should let Morrow start. He is a great shooter. Maybe if he can figure out how to guard a pole, he would get more playing time.

[QUOTE=DMAVS41]This is why keeping two max slots available should have been so important to the Lakers. You never know what can happen...and you want to retain that cap flexibility.

Russ might not want to go there alone...but maybe he'd go there with another max player joining him.

LOL...Moz / Deng[/QUOTE

HOnestly did you think Durant was moving out of OKC ? I did not , specially to the Warriors

[QUOTE=Bond007]
    Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    This is why keeping two max slots available should have been so important to the Lakers. You never know what can happen...and you want to retain that cap flexibility.

LOL...Moz / Deng[/QUOTE

HOnestly did you think Durant was moving out of OKC ? I did not , specially to the Warriors

That is the point though. Every decision in business and life has to be weighed with the potential upside and the potential downside.

In the case of the Lakers signing Moz / Deng...the upside just isn't near great enough to warrant what the potential downside can be.

Like I said in another thread...a big reason having a bunch of talented young players and rookies is because they don't take up a lot of the cap...so you can add star players while having a way more talented roster potentially than you normally could another way.

So...like...the upside of Moz and Deng helping the young guys develop just doesn't hold up against the downside of losing out on a Westbrook or other star or both because you only have 1 max slot.

Who has valuable enough assets to trade for him? Celtics? There is no guarantee he resigns with them next summer.

If the Lakers were willing to play ball with Russell and more and Westbrook doesn't want to sign an extension then I'd consider it. Westbrook is likely to have an MVP level season, but could flee after this year and they won't be a title contender minus KD.

They've still got a young side with guys like Kanter/Oladipo/Adams, so it's not like they're in a desperate "win now" window like the Spurs. This could be a really good chance for them to redevelop this squad.

Facts Are Misleading

If Westbrook isn't going to negotiate an extension until the off-season, I would figure other GM's around the league would treat him as a one-year rental and thus would not give the maximum package they otherwise would.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    If Westbrook isn't going to negotiate an extension until the off-season, I would figure other GM's around the league would treat him as a one-year rental and thus would not give the maximum package they otherwise would.
    Lakers would. Of course, they'd have to be as dumb as the Knicks to trade for a guy early knowing there's a good chance they can get him as a free agent the next year.

Facts Are Misleading

And just to clairfy, the value of 1 year of Wesbrook is still pretty high.

But the value of him under contract for the next 5 years makes him the most attractive trade piece of my lifetime. He would warrant a kings ransom - Russell + Ingram would not be enough in my opinion.....not after Deangelo sub par rookie season and the unknown of Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    It would depend on the franchise, but some would have to take that risk. This guy is so damn good...he can turn around a franchise very quickly.

The Lakers, for example, would definitely gamble on it imo.

I think the Celtics might gamble on it as well...

Someone will give up something...and if Russ won't do the extension...I just don't see how the Thunder can let it play out. And the longer they wait...the more worried other owners will be about not having enough time to convince Russ to stay.

An owner is likely to give up more now...than they would at Christmas imo.