Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Have we forgotten about the '04 Lakers ?

I don't know why, but everybody is comparing Durant's move to the GSW to LeBron's Decision, even though the comparison is not totally accurate, but no one's talking about Karl Malone and Gary Payton both taking huge pay cuts to join the Lakers who had won 3 of the past 4 NBA Championships.

Also, it should remind us not to crown a champion before the season even begins.

Default Re: Have we forgotten about the '04 Lakers ?

A team with old ass over the hill Payton and Malone is not even remotely comparable to a Top 3 player in the NBA in his prime.

Good college starter

The thing is that the Lakers and the Heat were never as stacked as people said they were.
    Those teams won 50 games and 47 games. People just were up in arms about the stars (or perceived stars)

The Warriors won 73 and were 5 points from a championship. If I take Durant off the team, they probably still win the chip.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

This Peja dude will be nowhere to be found when GS chokes again

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    I don't know why, but everybody is comparing Durant's move to the GSW to LeBron's Decision, even though the comparison is not totally accurate, but no one's talking about Karl Malone and Gary Payton both taking huge pay cuts to join the Lakers who had won 3 of the past 4 NBA Championships.

Also, it should remind us not to crown a champion before the season even begins.
    No one is talking about it because it's a shit comparison. Malone was 40 going on 41 years old and Payton was 35 going on 36. They were both in steep decline. All four of golden state's best players are in their prime. This is a shitty, lazy comparison.

Decent college freshman

Completely different.

Prime v. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    This Peja dude will be nowhere to be found when GS chokes again

lol. Not even a Warriors fan, just enjoying all the salty tears. People acting like this is going to be the apocalypse for the NBA when the league's entire history is just a long run of dominant teams.

I think this move will be bad for the homers and the real hardcore fans but will bring in a shitload of casual fans, which will be good for the league in the long run.

♫♪♫

Feel like our move then was to garner support and ticket sales rather than a legitimate shot at a ring run (who am to know tho) . wish I still had my GP lakeshow jersey

A lot of people here started to watch the NBA 2 years ago when the Warriors suddenly exploded.

The other element is the fact that these 4 guys are all team-first guys who are playing under a perfect coach who is a great leader and easy to get behind. This team just wants to win. They got a little sidetracked by the record last year, and you can go back and forth about whether that hindered them or put a level of pressure on them that caused that meltdown, but this year that's in the past.

They were so bored they felt like they needed to go for 73. Dray was so bored he chased triple-doubles. This finals humbling (and yes, choke) has brought them back to earth a bit and now they'll regain laser lock-in focus.

4 superstar level guys who range from top 2 to top 12 in the entire NBA, as well as a lockdown defensive guy in "FMVP" Iggy who has learned how to knock down the long-ball and feeds off and fits into the system perfectly. All unselfish guys willing to sacrifice for the greater good.

Contrast that with Kobe/Shaq's feud with Malone hitting on Vanessa Bryant, Payton's inability to fit the triangle and losing several key role players from the threepeat years and it's like... I don't think you can compare this.

THIS is the greatest compilation of talent we have EVER SEEN on an NBA roster relative to era since like... Russell's Cs.

Quote Originally Posted by clipps
    A lot of people here started to watch the NBA 2 years ago when the Warriors suddenly exploded.
    You think the Malone/Payton comparison is an apt comparison?

I'd say it's about as different as LeBron's Decision.

Both of them were 20 ppg guys the season before. Obviously not in their primes, but still very capable players.

Anyway, my main point was don't give a team the crown before the season begins. Everyone thought a Laker title in '04 was a done deal. Paper vs reality.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    You think the Malone/Payton comparison is an apt comparison?
    I think even LeBron joining the Heat pales in comparison to Durant going to the Warriors, this comparison is a joke

It's because Malone and Payton were past their prime. Most people viewed it as a flawed team

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

I agree that you shouldn't just assume the season and titles are already won, but the teams were different.

Payton was 35 and the hebephile Malone was over 40.

Malone actually played solid ball and provide some interior defense, but his body couldn't handle it anymore.