Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast
    Local High School Star poeticism707's Avatar

Default Re: Tim Duncan is greater than Shaq, and here are the numbers to PROVE it

NEW UPDATED STATISTICS!

Titles:

Duncan- 4
    Shaq- 4

Congrads Tim Duncan and San Antonio Spurs!

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default Re: Tim Duncan is greater than Shaq, and here are the numbers to PROVE it

another good bump

Not airballing my layups anymore

Duncan got all 4 championships with 1 team whereas shaq had to move. although he got them closer (as in the year)

Good High School Starter haji_d_robertas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poeticism707
    Here are Tim Duncan and Shaq's career numbers and accomplishments

Lets take it to the scorecard as it stands right NOW:

titles: Shaq 4, Duncan 4
    finals mvps: Shaq 3, duncan 3
    season mvps: Shaq 1, Duncan 2
    1st team all nba: Shaq 7, Duncan 9
    1st team all defense: Shaq 0, Duncan 7 (Shaq only has 3 2nd team all defense!)
    Shaq career: 25.9ppg, 11.6 rpg, 2.8apg, 2.8bpg
    Duncan Career: 21.8 ppg, 11.9rpg, 3.2apg, 2.4bpg

Now lets discuss the obvious. Shaq has been in the league 5 more years than Duncan, both are even with 4 titles, both even in finals mvps, Duncan with one more season mvp at 2-1. Here is where it gets shocking: Shaq has been in the league over 14+ years, but only 7 first team all nba elections? That a mere 50%! Also, Shaq has never, not even once been voted first team all defense- with only 3, count it 3 total 2ND TEAM all defense selections! Wow! He's a bigger defensive liability than Steve Nash! Even with all this "dominant" scoring, career wise he leads Duncan by only four points in career average! It is obvious that all you who swear by Shaq's dominance have been utterly duped!

Anyone please look at these numbers and prove Shaq is better than Duncan! According to their career numbers and stats, Duncan is already ahead of Shaq, and its not even close! One more title and finals mvp will simply be icing on the cake.
    You are one incredible number-crunching putz, aren't you? 1+1= Duncan! 2-3=Duncan! if x=y to the power of z, then x= Duncan!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I see it as Duncan had 3-4 years where he was just a monstrous beast. Duncan never had a better individual season than Shaq's best. Duncan, however, has been more consistent which payed off in a slightly better career (awards wise). Overall though, a winner is a winner. And they have each won 4 times and that is what matters. One side can argue that Duncan's longevity makes him better, while Shaq's 3 years of dominance makes him better. It all depends on your perspective.

Overall if I was asked who I'd rather have, it depends on what specifically is asked:
    Who would I take for 1 year in their prime? Shaq.
    Who would I take for an entire career? Duncan.

Local High School Star poeticism707's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
    another good bump

NBA rookie of the year

Shaq was robbed of the MVP in 99', 00' and 05' so he should have 4. As far as All NBA Duncan just starts at PF so he can start in the all star game and be all nba first team..he really plays center. Also did Duncan ever average 38 and 17 in an NBA finals...nope didn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    Shaq was robbed of the MVP in 99', 00' and 05' so he should have 4.
    Uh? He did not deserve it in 1999. 2000 WAS the year he got it. In 2005 nobody was really deserving of an MVP, but I do agree that he should have beat out Nash for that one. Shaq did deserve it in 2001 though IMO. That should have been 3 (with 2 of them being truly deserving).

If Shaq played his seasons like he played his playoffs, then he would have deserved even more, but he didn't.

National High School Star

Shaq was robbed of the MVP in 99', 00' and 05' so he should have 4.
    Duncan deserved MVP in '99. Not Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    Duncan deserved MVP in '99. Not Shaq.

Chris Webber is the real MVP in 1999 after the Sacramento Kings have a turn around season in that year.

Chris Webber stats in 1998-99

20.0 PPG, 13.0 RPG, 2.1 BPG, 4.1 APG ( lead the NBA in rebounds)

Chris Webber stats in the 2000-01

27.1 PPG, 11.1 RPG, 1.7 APG, 2.0 BPG ( 4th in NBA Voting)

Sacramento Kings: 55 Wins 27 loses
    Last edited by Lebron23; 04-18-2008 at 03:09 AM.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23

Chris Webber is the real MVP in 1999 after the Sacramento Kings have a turn around in that year.

Chris Webber stats in 1998-99

20.0 PPG, 13.0 RPG, 2.1 BPG, 4.1 APG ( lead the NBA in rebounds)

Chris Webber stats in the 2000-01

27.1 PPG, 11.1 RPG, 1.7 APG, 2.0 BPG ( 4th in NBA Voting)

Sacramento Kings: 55 Wins 27 loses
    Good point although I stick to Shaq especially in 2001

28.7 ppg, 12.7 rpg, 3.7 apg, 2.8 bpg, 56-26 record. Shaq also turned around the season after Kobe almost chucked it away. Shouldn't have been a question.

C-Webb deserved it in 2001-2002

24.5 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 4.8 apg, 1.7 spg, 1.4 bpg, 61-21 record.

I stick to Shaq especially in 2001

28.7 ppg, 12.7 rpg, 3.7 apg, 2.8 bpg, 56-26 record. Shaq also turned around the season after Kobe almost chucked it away. Shouldn't have been a question.
    On that, I'll agree with you.

EDIT: Hold up. I just remembered that was during the Shaq-Kobe feud when Shaq said, "When the dog is fed, he’ll guard the yard. When he’s not, anybody can come in." Nah, that's not the attitude of an MVP.
    Last edited by ThaRegul8r; 08-16-2007 at 09:23 AM.

C-Webb deserved it in 2001-2002

24.5 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 4.8 apg, 1.7 spg, 1.4 bpg, 61-21 record.
    I don't think a 3 game difference is enough to offset Duncan's:
    25.5 ppg, 12.7 rpg, 3.7 apg, 0.7 spg, 2.5 bpg, 58-24 record (with better defense).

Just my opinion though.

NBA rookie of the year

[QUOTE=ThaRegul8r]On that, I'll agree with you.

EDIT: Hold up. I just remembered that was during the Shaq-Kobe feud when Shaq said, "When the dog is fed, he

The quote is "If the big dog aint me the house won't get guarded" Shaq was telling the truth Kobe was averaging 30 ppg and Shaq about 26 but they weren't winning much and once Kobe got injured Shaq took over and the team started dominating and Kobe noticed and came back as a 26 ppg with Shaq as the 30 ppg. That is what an MVP does he turned a struggling team into one of the most dominant teams ever down the stretch and in the playoffs. Chick Hearn said they were playing as well as any Laker team. Shaq had every right to be mad about Kobe chucking early on..Shaq was coming off one of the best seasons ever in which he was the league MVP, scoring champion, 2 in rebounds, 3 in blocks, 2 in DPOY voting and had a 38 ppg, 16.7 rpg NBA finals when Kobe had a terrible finals literally carrying the Lakers during the finals not to mention leading them to 67 wins during the regular season.
    I know what the quote was, I took it directly from the source. I gave the exact quote. The fact is that feud cost him the MVP. With all the publicity the whole Shaq-Kobe thing got and the way the Lakers season went up until the playoffs, he wasn't going to win MVP. It's as simple as that. I had forgotten about that.