Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Arrow Anyone else not enamoured with the 3 point era?

I'm finding myself turned off by the focus on the long ball. It feels odd to call it cheap and skill-less, because in reality it is just so much more efficient, but I find that it is similar to get a get out of jail free card.

3 point basketball is less scientific, to me. A team can run a beautifully designed play for a cut to the basket, or a big can display his agility, strength, and dexterity on a nice post up, or a gifted two-guard can dissect a defender and hit a nice J.... but all three beautiful plays lose to a Terrence Ross call-of-duty-camper-level three pointer.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone else not enamoured with the 3 point era?

it's good when it's wide open but i hate watching teams spam it even if it's contested

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Banned

Checking in

I'm a Warriors fan, and I'm not a fan of the excessive 3-point shooting.

The NBA game in general just has far less variety than in the past. Almost every team plays the same way; spread the court, run the high P&R/P. Since it's so hard to defend the perimeter, teams are forced to bring an extra defender, and that opens up the 3-point shot. Rinse, repeat.

Now, the Warriors actually have some offensive variety, despite the number of 3's they take. Some teams just spam P&R/P though. Especially teams that play traditional Centers like the Clippers, Pistons, Jazz, Rockets, etc.

3ball.

Local High School Star

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

I have just watched the Atlanta Hawks on 4 possessions in A ROW during the fourth quarter where they were either up by 2, down by 2 or tied where they had A CLEAR LANE ON THE FAST BREAK TO THE BASKET!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!? But instead TRIED to kick it out for a corner 3?!?!?! Needless to say NONE of those possessions ended in scores and virtually GAVE THE GAME away to the Cavs!!!.

This is turning in a pathetic display to say the least. 3 pointers used to come off double teams to the post or kickouts after defenses collapse on the penetrators on the half court or fast break, not this taking the air out of the ball by the supposed "PG" for 15 seconds before deciding to pass the ball or jack up a contested 3 himself or sacrificing a an open layup or short mid range shot to pass it out again for a 3!!!!

We are watching the DUMBEST for of basketball the NBA has had in a long time and we're not even seeing the worst of it, get ready for teams combining for a 100 3-'s in a few years!!!

The millennial generation doesn't have the time or the intelligence to learn the games basic fundamentals and skills to dominate EVERY AREA from the post to the 3 point line.

3 pointer fest for the next 10 years!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime80'
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

I have just watched the Atlanta Hawks on 4 possessions in A ROW during the fourth quarter where they were either up by 2, down by 2 or tied where they had A CLEAR LANE ON THE FAST BREAK TO THE BASKET!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!? But instead TRIED to kick it out for a corner 3?!?!?! Needless to say NONE of those possessions ended in scores and virtually GAVE THE GAME away to the Cavs!!!.

This is turning in a pathetic display to say the least. 3 pointers used to come off double teams to the post or kickouts after defenses collapse on the penetrators on the half court or fast break, not this taking the air out of the ball by the supposed "PG" for 15 seconds before deciding to pass the ball or jack up a contested 3 himself or sacrificing a an open layup or short mid range shot to pass it out again for a 3!!!!

We are watching the DUMBEST for of basketball the NBA has had in a long time and we're not even seeing the worst of it, get ready for teams combining for a 100 3-'s in a few years!!!

The millennial generation doesn't have the time or the intelligence to learn the games basic fundamentals and skills to dominate EVERY AREA from the post to the 3 point line.

3 pointer fest for the next 10 years!!!
    And yet teams still have no problem scoring efficiently. I partly agree with OP it can get a little repetitive and frustrating at times. However the 3 pointer is still fun to watch when teams are making them. Most people love watching the Warriors and no one would complain if the Hawks went like 15/30 next game from 3. Spurs might slow down the 3 pt trend however, they're definitely more of a mid range post up type team now and they're doing great.

Very good NBA starter

I think I could agree with that statement, I'm not too enamored by it. More so I don't like watching individual players take upwards of 10 or more three's in one game. Kevin Love his last couple seasons in Minnesota he was just launching three after three . It feels like I'm watching a video game, the way we used to play NBA2k when we got lazy or wanted to make a lazy comeback. But I like the 3 in general, it made the game more fun imo. But the use of them has increased steadily over the last two decades. I made a thread about it awhile back, the uptick in threes

It has grown very tiresome. It is like using the cape in super mario world to fly over the whole level... fun and exciting but you literally skip over the intricacies of the level! Basketball purists might be awed by Steph Curry's game, but when Atlanta looks off a wide open down low Horford in favour of yet another 3, they get sad.

Local High School Star

The NBA game has become DUMBED DOWN!!!!

What do you think is harder and takes longer to develop, Kareem's, McHale's, Hakeem's, Malone's, Worthy's etc post up and mid range skills or get 3 point range?!?

Magic's, Isiah's, KJ's, Price's, Cheek's, Stockton's floor leadership and overall quarterbacking IQ or get 3 point range!?!?

The two most important positions on the floor, the pass first PG and dominant low post Center have become EXTINCT because modern players want to jack up 3 points and long jumpers!

That's PART OF THE REASONS the present game looks like CRAP!

The NBA game has become DUMBED DOWN!!!!

What do you think is harder and takes longer to develop, Kareem's, McHale's, Hakeem's, Malone's, Worthy's etc post up and mid range skills or get 3 point range?!?

Magic's, Isiah's, KJ's, Price's, Cheek's, Stockton's floor leadership and overall quarterbacking IQ or get 3 point range!?!?

The two most important positions on the floor, the pass first PG and dominant low post Center have become EXTINCT because modern players want to jack up 3 points and long jumpers!

That's PART OF THE REASONS the present game looks like CRAP!
    So what you're saying is you would rather spend years developing skills instead of months to get similar results. Maybe it's the older era guys who were "dumber". Also get out of here with your era bias not even mentioning cp3, nash, or kidd who have as much floor leadership as the guys you listed. Maybe the game does look like crap to you which is subjective but teams don't care how entertaining they look, they just want to win.

We are watching the DUMBEST for of basketball the NBA has had in a long time and we're not even seeing the worst of it,
    I'd say it's just the opposite. Teams are finally starting to realize just how broken the 3pt shot really is. It's worth 50% more points, and it's no where near 50% harder to make.

The top players that have been practicing it since they were young are becoming far more efficient than past players because they spend their time practicing more efficient shots(3 point shots).
    Last edited by DatAsh; 05-02-2016 at 10:23 PM.

For me, it's not about what's harder, it's about what's smarter. A player who spends 4 hours a day practicing 3 point shots will be better than a player who spent those same 4 hours practicing 2 point shots, just because the 3 is so much more efficient.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    For me, it's not about what's harder, it's about what's smarter. A player who spends 4 hours a day practicing 3 point shots will be better than a player who spent those same 4 hours practicing 2 point shots, just because the 3 is so much more efficient.
    Is it safe to assume your talking about swingmen and guards moreso than big men? ... Idk If I want my big man being the next Andrea Bargnani or Channing Frye or Antwan Jamison (Dirk is really the exception, Horry too had a nice career but was on great teams)