Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: Anyone else not enamoured with the 3 point era?

The Rockets making the WCF just shows how bad it is.

16-24 feet shot usage: lowest in the NBA that year
    24+ feet shot usage: highest in the NBA that year

and then add in all the FTs

The fact you can go so far with the chucking 3s and get fouled strategy is just sad.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pudman13
    I say this a lot. It's not the same game and even people who like it need to acknowledge that. The point of basketball was to try to get high percentage shots, and for the defense to try to prevent them. It is no longer that. The role of the center has been completely transformed (I might say "eliminated.") I'm not sure what to say except that I miss the old game and know I'm never going to get it back.
    This is how I feel, too.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    You're really dumb. Dumb people simplify a points that they can't understand into one basic little simplistic ignorant conclusion.
    ok bro, keep going on longwinded rants about how dinosaurs in the post and 6'6'' swingman taking 10 foot midrange pull ups is more "highly developed" than guys taking 30 foot 3 pointers off the dribble

I love the 3 point shot. To me it takes away the previous generation where guards couldn't shoot and everyone was just trying to dunk to get on ESPN. I am so glad that era is over.

Basketball is about making shots. The jump shot is the purest form of basketball that there is. Difficulty increases the further you are from the basket. Players like Curry are ushering in an era of some of the highest skilled players in the history of the sport.

It makes me happy for the game that players now focus on becoming great shooters, instead of practicing ridiculous dunks to the detriment of the rest of there game.

Local High School Star

Problem is there were a TON of centers and swingmen in the 80's and early 90's who were devastatingly efficient, had complete mastery of the fundamentals since entering the NBA and highly skillfull to boot. They were assets to their team's gameplan in getting high porcetange shots!!!

In contrast, how many guys in today's NBA can hit 30 foot shots consistently?!? ONE?!? Yeah that sounds like a league full of skikl and efficiency!!!

The soft rules and lack of fundamentals have made this game dumber than its ever been and just wait 5 years, if my local courts are any indication, were I rutinely see kids spend almost 40 minutes launching half court shots, we're in for the APOCALYPSE!!!

I just sleep well knowing that I got to see real skillfull and physical basketball in my lifetime were a 3 point chucking shrimp with brittle ankles like Steph
    Curry would not have lasted a season!

For a great shooter, simple math mandates that players shoot the 3.

For a great shooter, like Curry or Thompson if they are 7-15 (47%) from 3 point range they score 21 points. For a 2 point shooter, they have to go 11-15 (73%) from 2 point range (22 points) to keep pace.

How many all time great scorers go 73% from the floor, even for one game? Never mind a season.

The 3 point shot is here to stay. For a skilled player, it's the most economically efficient offense play in the game.

Local High School Star

Forget about dunks!

Fundamental aspects like dominant post play, entry passes, outlet passing, fast break execution, effective mid range game have all gone TO HELL in the past 10 years!!!

Instead of that we get to watch players who have NO BUSINESS shooting high volume 3 pointers like Harden, Westrbrook, Lowry, DeRozen, Mills, Lillard, Green among others chuck it up for the sake of analytics!

I'm sorry but that is bad and dumb basketball my friends!

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime80'
    Forget about dunks!

Fundamental aspects like dominant post play, entry passes, outlet passing, fast break execution, effective mid range game have all gone TO HELL in the past 10 years!!!

Instead of that we get to watch players who have NO BUSINESS shooting high volume 3 pointers like Harden, Westrbrook, Lowry, DeRozen, Mills, Lillard, Green among others chuck it up for the sake of analytics!

I'm sorry but that is bad and dumb basketball my friends!
    PREACH!

Decent playground baller FrenchDude's Avatar

I watched the highlights from nba.com for game 2 of Hawks@Cavs.

They only showed 3 point shots.....

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchDude
    I watched the highlights from nba.com for game 2 of Hawks@Cavs.

They only showed 3 point shots.....
    Link.

Decent playground baller FrenchDude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Link.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94U2ec7elOc