Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default Remember when J van Gundy fought Alonzo Mourning?

Really what I'm looking for here is an interview with Charles Oakley about the whole ordeal. I can pretty much guarantee nobody on this board can find it. I think it doesn't exist.

Look at Oakley's expression when he breaks up the fight and takes van Gundy away. He finds the whole thing as hilarious as he should, even though hew as the one who helped get the fight started.

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Remember when J van Gundy fought Alonzo Mourning?

Quote Originally Posted by NYKnicks914
    Really what I'm looking for here is an interview with Charles Oakley about the whole ordeal. I can pretty much guarantee nobody on this board can find it. I think it doesn't exist.

Look at Oakley's expression when he breaks up the fight and takes van Gundy away. He finds the whole thing as hilarious as he should, even though hew as the one who helped get the fight started.
    So is this a separate incident from when VG was on the ground? When half the players got suspended? I actually saw that game. It was the ECF right?

Miami and NY were bitter, bitter rivals.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

JVG didn't fight Zo. He was desperately (or hilariously) trying to keep Zo from jumping into the team fight.

Good luck finding the interview.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Alonzo Mourning vs Charles Oakley...that'd be a good fight.

The fight was actually between Zo and Larry Johnson (initially). In the melee that ensued, JVG ended up on the ground grabbing Zo's leg, looking like a chihuahua nipping at someones ankles. It was one of the most surreal and hysterical things I've ever seen.

The 90's Heat and Knicks were as bitter a rivalry as any in league history. Ugly, ugly basketball, but still entertaining due to their legit hatred of each other. I doubt the league will ever see a rivalry like that again. Everyone is too buddy-buddy now.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe
    I doubt the league will ever see a rivalry like that again. Everyone is too buddy-buddy now.
    That's got more to do with how harsh suspensions and fines have become. Games still get chippy and there are plenty of players that aren't friends but who wants to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Decent college freshman

The fight was actually between Zo and Larry Johnson (initially). In the melee that ensued, JVG ended up on the ground grabbing Zo's leg, looking like a chihuahua nipping at someones ankles. It was one of the most surreal and hysterical things I've ever seen.

The 90's Heat and Knicks were as bitter a rivalry as any in league history. Ugly, ugly basketball, but still entertaining due to their legit hatred of each other. I doubt the league will ever see a rivalry like that again. Everyone is too buddy-buddy now.
    That's what I thought. OP made it sound like a different incident altogether where JVG got into it with a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    That's got more to do with how harsh suspensions and fines have become. Games still get chippy and there are plenty of players that aren't friends but who wants to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars?
    This is true as well, but players today are much friendlier toward each other in general, largely because of the increased connectivity provided by the internet and social media. AAU ball has played a role too. In the past, most players on opposing teams didn't really know each other off the court. That created more tension on the court.

Decent college freshman

This is true as well, but players today are much friendlier toward each other in general, largely because of the increased connectivity provided by the internet and social media. AAU ball has played a role too. In the past, most players on opposing teams didn't really know each other off the court. That created more tension on the court.
    True. Some were even college rivals (Magic/Bird).

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarriors
    That's what I thought. OP made it sound like a different incident altogether where JVG got into it with a player.
    What do you say we turn this into a discussion about the definition of the word fight?

Everyone seems to be doing a great job knowing exactly which incident to discuss.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Agreed... guys even workout together in the off season now.

Look at LeBron, Wade, Melo and CP3... probably 4 of the top 10 players in the league at one point and they go on vacation together every other year

I guess there has been some interesting "rivalries" like LeBron's Heat vs Pacers, or LeBron vs Bulls... But most of them are pretty one sided and in all honesty can't even be called rivalries.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo

Look at LeBron, Wade, Melo and CP3... probably 4 of the top 10 players in the league at one point and they go on vacation together every other year :facepalm

I guess there has been some interesting "rivalries" like LeBron's Heat vs Pacers, or LeBron vs Bulls... But most of them are pretty one sided and in all honesty can't even be called rivalries.
    God forbid they spend time with their friends during the off season...idiot.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by NYKnicks914
    What do you say we turn this into a discussion about the definition of the word fight?

Everyone seems to be doing a great job knowing exactly which incident to discuss.
    No need. You said "fought" so I took it to mean an actual fight between player and coach. What else can it mean? I just thought it was a different incident you were describing that I hadn't seen. Those two teams were bitter rivals so who am I to say it didn't happen. Somebody else said it. No biggie.
    Last edited by WorldWarriors; 04-15-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo

Look at LeBron, Wade, Melo and CP3... probably 4 of the top 10 players in the league at one point and they go on vacation together every other year

Nothing wrong with players being friends off court, the difference is these fakkits don't define themselves as basketball players anymore, if they did then winning would be everything they cared about.