Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    "3 is greater than 2" CuterThanRubio's Avatar

Default Re: Michael Jordan's "Shrug game" exposed

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    No. He was known as a bad 3 pt shooter, so they left him open on purpose. He tore them a new one for leaving him open like that.

Here is the thing you are failing to understand, even shooters like Larry Bird were left open outside the arc and I can provide screenshots to prove it.

The three point line was mostly ignored by defenders for the duration of the 80s and 90s.

I recommend searching youtube for highlights of your favorite player from that era, and pay attention to how he is guarded beyond the arc. I bet it will change your perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by CuterThanRubio
    My argument is that defensive tactics in that era are not on par with today's league.

I'm not trying to say MJ isn't the best, but this is one of the greatest illustrations of how primitive the league used to be.
    You really think that defenses were so basic that they didn't think to close out on a hot shooter? That they just hasn't thought to contest jumpers? That's asinine.

It's just that peak Jordan was such a good slasher and mid range scorer that your only defensive option was to give him the open three.

And when you talk about adjusting to a hot shooter, Jordan had spent eight years proving what a great scorer he was inside the arc, you don't just let him get to his spots in the mid range, just because he hit some threes. You just hope he cools off from three, it was the only way you were going to contain him.

Defenses have gotten more sophisticated, but this is a terrible example.

And just fwiw, lebron gets the same level of contest on his three pointers today.

At least post the video instead of stills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_zgkYsnUTw

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern

Dude was left wide open on a lot of those threes.

Damn.

WIDE OPEN.

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

I agree with OP 100 percent. This crap about 90s defense being tougher is total BS because the primary offensive strategy was to get to the basket they would huddle in towards the basket to defend it.

These days offense utilizes the 3 ball effectively which forced the spacing of today offense. And yes lebron takes advantage of it. Why wouldnt he??

MJ wud still dominate todays game because of the more open paint in todays defense.

But steph curry would also own the 90s due to lack of perimeter coverage. Can u imagine what steph would do being left open 9 out of 10 plays. It wud seriously rain!!

Local High School Star LakersForlife's Avatar

MJ STANS exposed gj

this is the defense those old Daks are talking about??? lmao. sit down son

Quote Originally Posted by NZStreetBaller
    I agree with OP 100 percent. This crap about 90s defense being tougher is total BS because the primary offensive strategy was to get to the basket they would huddle in towards the basket to defend it.

These days offense utilizes the 3 ball effectively which forced the spacing of today offense. And yes lebron takes advantage of it. Why wouldnt he??

MJ wud still dominate todays game because of the more open paint in todays defense.

But steph curry would also own the 90s due to lack of perimeter coverage. Can u imagine what steph would do being left open 9 out of 10 plays. It wud seriously rain!!
    Do you think they would guard Curry the same way as Jordan in the 90s? In the video you have to give Jordan some space else he would blow by you. If you step back, like I've seen Kobe do so many times he's going to shoot it. But only in this video because he's trying to prove a point is he looking for his 3. I don't remember the game, but would the Blazers not adjust, or were they coached by a bunch of idiots? Do you think teams guarded every other team the same way, and never adjusted? Curry would not be as successful if he was hand checked.

Good college starter

Kind of reminds me of LeBron's overrated Game 7 vs the Spurs where they left him WIDE OPEN for all those 3s.

Thanks OP for exposing both Jordan and LeBron's performances as massively overrated.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IllegalD
    Kind of reminds me of LeBron's overrated Game 7 vs the Spurs where they left him WIDE OPEN for all those 3s.

Thanks OP for exposing both Jordan and LeBron's performances as massively overrated.
    12th

Do you think they would guard Curry the same way as Jordan in the 90s? In the video you have to give Jordan some space else he would blow by you. If you step back, like I've seen Kobe do so many times he's going to shoot it. But only in this video because he's trying to prove a point is he looking for his 3. I don't remember the game, but would the Blazers not adjust, or were they coached by a bunch of idiots? Do you think teams guarded every other team the same way, and never adjusted? Curry would not be as successful if he was hand checked.
    Again, even LARRY BIRD was left alone outside the arc most of the time, and he was regarded as the best shooter of all time until later down the line.

Curry also possesses the ability to finish in the paint at a high percentage and his handle is masterful, you can't just assume he is going to launch a triple every time, he will watch your feet and blow by you once you plant if you check up too hard.

Curry would devastate weak defenses like the Blazers displayed in the screenshots I presented, if a poor outside shooter like Jordan could have a field day imagine what the greatest at his craft would do.

Sidenote: A guy like Danny Ainge wouldn't even make the league in 2016, let alone have the responsibility to cover the best player on the floor lol

thats shrug??? ricky rubio would be a superstar in that era then

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by CuterThanRubio

Here is the thing you are failing to understand, even shooters like Larry Bird were left open outside the arc and I can provide screenshots to prove it.

The three point line was mostly ignored by defenders for the duration of the 80s and 90s.

I recommend searching youtube for highlights of your favorite player from that era, and pay attention to how he is guarded beyond the arc. I bet it will change your perspective.

Ok prove it.

wow, defense was terrible back then

Curry would average 50

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Ok prove it.
    It only took 29 seconds into the first video I watched to prove my theory.

Larry Bird, in 91, at a time when he was known as one of, if not the greatest outside shooter in NBA history, was left alone at the top of the key.

Hey look, another one!

This was the next shot he made.

Are you starting to catch my drift?

I'm not making this stuff up!

Here is Reggie Miller from the same game!

ZERO DEFENSE!

I'm not even HALFWAY through the video and every shot he's made from downtown was completely open.

Need I say more?

90s defense was terrible!